Common searches

Study of BioShock activation

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 47, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

buy the "box" version of bioshock and not the steam version.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 22 of 47, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

franpa: been a while since you purchased a game, eh? I bought HL2 "offline" when it came out, and still couldn't play it without inet access. I guess it's the same with Bioshock.

A bit OT: i just played the XBox 360 version, and i'm not rocked so far. Of course, the "Art Deco" style is something new and looks quite cool, but until now, i feel like i'm playing a mixture of Doom 3 and Condemned, with the "shiny" graphics of GoW (;

Reply 23 of 47, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OT: I find pretty stupid that you buy a game and you can't play unless you have an internet connection and download god knows what. On the other hand this could prove to be an effective and annoying copy protection.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 24 of 47, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
franpa wrote:

buy the "box" version of bioshock and not the steam version.

Is the box version free of such horrendous copy protection?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 25 of 47, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

no

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 26 of 47, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fuck. 🙁 I guess I'll only buy Bioshock if there's already crack available --I just want to play my original copy without having to copy with such horrendous internet activation scheme.

At least "enhanced audio CD" is easier to crack.... 🙁

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 27 of 47, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

but the box version would be easier to bypass the protection with.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 28 of 47, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gamecopyworld has the No Intro fix and a mini image of BioShock up so that you can play without the CD drive.

If you don't want to use a mini image then you can image the BioShock DVD with the latest ver of BlindWrite and that will work as well.

I don't keep up with the "scene" so I don't know what the status is of bypassing the activation for the DVD release.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 32 of 47, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

its been proven that the "securom" provided with the demo can easily be removed, just look at your services and disable it and now your done 😁

my website

Reply 33 of 47, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
franpa wrote:

its been proven that the "securom" provided with the demo can easily be removed, just look at your services and disable it and now your done 😁

After disabling securerom, can you bypass / work your way around the activation or such?

Reply 34 of 47, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

no or not to my knowledge. theres a article somewhere that describes it.

my website

Reply 35 of 47, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wait:

DosFreak wrote:

I looked in HKLM and HKLU but nothing really stood out. A regisitry or installation monitor may tell us more....but I've already tainted my system with the activation so I'm not sure how trustworthy a reinstall on the same windows install would be at capturing the install.

Maybe the Securerom windows service hides it. Maybe you can better find the downloaded activation key (or file) after disabling the Securerom service?

Reply 37 of 47, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good article at TwitchGuru that goes over the situation:
http://www.twitchguru.com/2007/08/27/bioshock_drm/index.html

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 38 of 47, by v0g0ns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

damn, i really wanted to play this game, but i dont want to "taint" my system with this securom. I've read, however, that antivirus software also "taints" your system too. Is that true?

Rise of the Triad forum

Reply 39 of 47, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Every program that installs and runs things behind your back "taints your system". Most antivirus do it too.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)