Common searches

Star Trek: A Final Unity on Windows XP

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 81, by Troi Tribble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

That thread has absolutely nothing to do with DOSBox.

Ok, I thought it did. And I just noticed that that thread is locked and I CAN'T post on there, so I am sorry to say, that I will have to ask you: How do I get my sound on in the AFU game, and how do I fix the video so it runs smooth and NOT slow & choppy? Please advise. Thanks.

Reply 61 of 81, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

That thread was locked beacuse, as noted there, only one topic is to be
created for a problem.
Now you've got something different, and this new problem is dosbox
related so you could post there (before you should look through various
postings that deal with sound configuration).

The soundblaster settings for dosbox are addr=220, irq=7, dma=1
which you must tell the game (installer, setup.exe or something).

To get more speed: use dosbox 0.65 and change the core to dynamic,
and the cycles to auto (both things in dosbox.conf).

Reply 62 of 81, by Troi Tribble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I set the cores & cycles, and I found out where to set the sound, but here is what happened: I managed to find it here:
100_0385.jpg
but, it turns out, I don't think I have soundblaster:
100_0386.jpg
I have something else, instead:
soundcard1.jpg

So, what do I do, buy a new soundcard, or is there a way to install Soundblaster 8, or what? Is there some other way that I can configure it?

Reply 64 of 81, by Troi Tribble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, thanks. I sure hope it works! UPDATE: Well, the video seems slightly better, I don't know, but the sound still is not on. I must be missing something! But, what? What is it that I need to do about the sound to make it work! I don't get it? I have done everything that you instructed me to do, but I don't know what it is I did wrong! Could it be because instead of "addr" like you said (the one that should be set to 220), and I have it listed at "port"? I don't know, I am just grasping at straws here! Please advise!

Reply 67 of 81, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should not ever be double-clicking on an icon to run the Final Unity setup program, nor to run the game itself. If you are double-clicking on an icon, you're doing it wrong. You must do everything through DOSBox.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 69 of 81, by Troi Tribble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How do I get my dosbox setup to look like the picture enclosed?

Attachments

• Filename
    100_0389.jpg
    File size
    563.98 KiB
    Downloads
    214 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 70 of 81, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well don't run the installer on the cd, but on the (emulated) c drive.
In dosbox, change to the c drive (type "c:"), then change to the
directory where you installed the game, and type install or setup or
whatever that game uses.

Reply 71 of 81, by Troi Tribble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did, but I only got what is in the pic. shown above. However, the sound actually seems to be working anyway now, so I was able to play thru the beginning scene. Hip Hip HOORAY!!!! 😁

Reply 72 of 81, by robsario

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone...
I have a problem with this game too, may be you would be able to help me.

I've managed to install the game perfectly, although it took ages to install. Really slow!
The sound works in the settings screen, but it takes too long to load.

Now, when I execute the game it shows a screen that says "Star Trek A Final Unity" etc. (a loading screen), the game stays there forever... then it shows the Spectrum HoloByte logo animation which also es really slooooooow... is like I'm watching the game in really slow motion. It takes forever to do anything.

If you need to know, I'm playing this game in a PIII 650Mhz 640 RAM with a GeForce 5200 128MB. But I play other games there too and I don't have any problems.

I hope you would be able to help me! Thanks in advance.
ROBBIE.

Reply 73 of 81, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Look at the top of the DOSBox window. See the "CPU Cycles: XXXX" ?
What does it say for you? 3000 ?
Try hitting CTRL-F12 to increase the cycles (but watch your real CPU usage using Windows Task Manager - don't let your real CPU usage get over 90%).

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 76 of 81, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

No - the problem is that you have not configured DOSBox for optimal performance.

Somewhere in the directory where you installed DOSBox.exe there should be a dosbox.conf. Open it with Notepad, and change the line that says core=normal to core=dynamic.

Or - before you start the game, use the DOSBox commands

C:> config -set cpu core=dynamc
C:> config -set cpu cycles=5000

and use CTRL-F12 to increase you cycles as needed.

Or - download one of the DOSBox front-ends (e.g. DOSBox Game Launcher) and use that to configure DOSBox for you game.

Reply 77 of 81, by masu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

my mousespeed is really slow in the game. It takes years, until the mousecursor comes from one border to the other border. Is there any way how I can increase the mousespeed?

DOSBox 0.63
Windows XP SP2

Reply 78 of 81, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I don't know if if helps, but there is a setting in the SDL-part of the DOSBox configuration file that says

sensitivity = ....

Maybe upping that will speed the mousing up?