VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by andries1990

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I first used the search tool, but it appeared that nowone else had this problem before, so lets ask!

The game I tried to install was Asterix & Obelix, infogrames 1996.
I have Vista on my laptop.
Dosbox 0.72 ( it should work, according to the compatabilitylist )

First I just followed the steps described on wiki. Everything seemed to work just fine. I installed the game via dosbox. ( opening the file INSTALL.exe on the cdrom. Of course, after mounting a cdrom. )

Now the strange part:
When I tell dosbox to open obelixw.exe it says it cannot open it because it is a "windows NT windowed executable".

But when I first tried to install the game on the normal way ( when I had no idea of dosbox and the world was still simple ) I got the message that the game is not designed for windows NT. ( I have Vista ) ( I know it is anoter file then obelixw.exe, I just told you so you could understand my not understanding )

And when I just normally open the file obelixw.exe ( just by doubleclicking on it ) it does open, and I can hear the beautifull music and soundeffects ( jumpsounds, hitsounds, runsounds ), but there's nothing to see. Just a black litle window. ( I can also change the game settings like the hardness and the controls, player one ore two, but just no game to see. )

After installing I could change the sound card, but there was no option for changing the video card, so I guess that can't be it. I also tried all possible ways of changing the settings in compatability.

Did I forget anything? ( In this text, I mean. Anything else you must know? )

Please help me,

Andries

Are you a fan of me? No? hmm, maybe I first have to get famous.

Reply 1 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I guess the clue is the W in obelixw.exe. Sure there is no obelix.exe ?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only way I could play it was using either Qemu or Vmware with Windows 98 as a guest OS.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 7, by andries1990

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@ minimax,
I exactly followed the steps I saw on the wiki-page that has a link on the dosbox site. ( these steps are the same as the ones you describe ) And the file is called obelixw.exe ( and you're pretty much right about vista 😢 )

@dosfreak
I think i'm going to try Qemu as soon as I find out how to use dosbox for other games.

According to a friend ( who isn't allknowing either ) the obelixw shouldn't be opening at all in normal vista-mode. So he thought that only a part of the files are dos-needing things. But is this possible? It sounds weird.

Anyway, if nowone can tell me wether it's possible to run asterix & obelix with dosbox ( or if someone tells me he's absolutely sure it's not ) I'll just try Qemu.

Thanks anyway 😉

Reply 4 of 7, by dosraider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

I guess the clue is the W in obelixw.exe. Sure there is no obelix.exe ?

Spot on, the dos exe is OBELIX.EXE
But have to say I have the original game on Floppy, bought for the kids when it was released, not the CD version.

andries1990 wrote:

Anyway, if nowone can tell me wether it's possible to run asterix & obelix with dosbox

The floppy version runs flawless in dosbox 0.72.
asterixpp4.th.png

[Edit]
Just tried in VPC/W98SE, runs also fine with OBELIXW.EXE.
Screen must be set@256 colors.
asterixvpcih3.th.png

Reply 5 of 7, by andries1990

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In the compatability I set the option '256 colors' on, and when I start it, the screen indeed appears to be set to 256 colors ( ugly desktop and so on... ) but still nothing to see in the game. Should I try to set the screen to 256 colors on the windows way? The 'lowest' I can set it is 16 bit... Maybe in the advanced settings?

Did you got it running in vista?

Reply 6 of 7, by dosraider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dosraider wrote:

Just tried in VPC/W98SE

I wouldn't even think to run a 1996 game in Vista, that's why we have VMs.
The last thing I want is some ol'software installing all kinds of INIs and/or weird DLL's on my system.