VOGONS

Common searches

What DOS game are you playing right now?

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 107, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Even with "hex edit" cheat? I hex edited my way through Dragon Wars --a quite difficult RPG. Are Star Trail and Blade of Destiny really difficult?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 101 of 107, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

It's a good game anyway. I finished aeons ago. I could never finish the other two parts from the trilogy (blade of destiny and star trail). Too difficult.

Yeah right off the bat I was on a Riva walkthrough site getting hints and tips. I try to avoid those sites but games with a quest location indicator in the compass have really got me spoiled.

Reply 102 of 107, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've recently started playing Ultima VII - the black gate. To begin with, I tried "Exult" which is a remake. Unfortunately, this conversion may be a bit buggy. I got to the part where Finnigan, the local Mayor of Trinsic asks you the copy protection questions. I answer him correctly, but Finnigan isn't satisfied with my correct answers. I rerun Ultima VII, but this time using DOSBox, and when I get to this same section of the game where I answer the copy protection questions, Finnigan is satisfied with my answers. Strange.

Attachments

• u7.png
    Filename
    u7.png
    File size
    34.57 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 104 of 107, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm playing Dungeon Hack (SSI, 1993, DOS). You wander about in a randomly generated dungeon maze, fighting beasts and looking for the stairs down to the next level. You can customize the way the game plays in the options section. For example, I set the max number of levels to 10. When you get to that end level, you try and locate an orb, and the game finishes. I'm currently on level 10 now; see screenshot.

The game is based around the AD&D 2nd edition rules. Fighting is done in real time. Movement is the typical 90 degree turning around method, as seen in quite a lot of these very old DOS games, eg Dungeon Master.

The game is quite addictive, as you hunt about for the stairs leading down to the next level. There's no story to speak of, which is the game's main downside IMHO.

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    Filename
    pic2.jpg
    File size
    96.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 105 of 107, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Currently playing Star Rangers --and writing the After-Action Report whenever I have the time.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 106 of 107, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Currently playing Star Rangers --and writing the After-Action Report whenever I have the time.

Oooo - goody! I, too, have Star Rangers, but I'm waiting until - Umm, maybe I'll install VMware Player, VPC, and I might still have DOSbox on my Dell Dimension and I'll play all my space combat games on it - from Wing Commander 3, 4, & Prophecy, Independence War 1 (in W 98SE) & 2 (in XP), Tachyon the Fringe (in XP) Star Rangers (DOSbox), but then again, I'll have to wait until 1) I get the failing video card in the Dell Dimension replaced, and 2) get my nephew to help me get the Genius MaxiFighter F - 23U joystick to work - I bought this joystick last March from Buy.com for $20 and it did not come with a driver installation CD, it's supposed to work in W98SE, XP, and possibly DOSbox - but when I've tried to install it according to some instructions someone on MysteryManor.net (see link here) http://mysterymanor.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7771
found for me - for both W98SE and XP, I still have trouble installing it correctly - and I've never even heard of this joystick brand until the day I found it on Buy.com in March 2009.

@Kreshna - May I please see your after action report? It sounds like Civil Space Patrol stuff to me - I might be very interested!

Reply 107 of 107, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kelly Stiver wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Oooo - goody! I, too, have Star Rangers, but I'm waiting until - Umm, maybe I'll install VMware Player, VPC, and I might still have DOSbox on my Dell Dimension

I think you can play Star Rangers right away --in DOSBOX. Star Rangers is actually faster in DOSBOX than in VirtualBox.

Not sure about VMWare though, it seems to be faster than VirtualBox. However, forget about using joystick. IIRC, only VirtualBox allows using your USB joystick in your VM.