Tomb Raider High Res Texture Project

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 109, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

smiley_woot.gif

Glad to see you back with a vengeance. I might find the time to get back to my mansion retexturing effort some time next week as well. I'm interested to see how you're going to deal with Lara's textures. I gave them a quick try some time ago (her pyjamas mesh is substantially different than her standard mesh in the game), but I couldn't get any satisfying result. I should definitely spend more time on it. Would you mind if I eventually end up reusing some parts of your textures for her mesh used in the mansion, especially the face?

Reply 101 of 109, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Kaminari. Yeah, no problem about using any of my textures, assuming they actually work out that is! Just a credit to me and the website is enough.

Reply 102 of 109, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've found the first problematic texture -- Lara's chest! It looks straightforward enough at first glance as I thought the rectangle was mapped onto a rectangle -- but it's a trapezium and I get an odd kink towards the corners of the texture. I could live with it, but if there's a fix then could you let me know? Thanks.

Reply 105 of 109, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Core were mad! Each weapon has three different models / sets of textures, which makes this an entire pain the ass!

There's one model for in the holster, one for firing, and one for the menu ring. I'm working on the UZI -- some teturtes are shared between models, such as the top and sides, but all the little bits and pieces (handle, muzzle, clip, etc), are different for each model! Sometimes, the same texture is rotated differently depending on it's location. And sometimes a texture is used in only one location on one model, but in several on others. Nightmare!

It's really tricky finding which bit goes where: I have to colour the original image (sometimes only 8x8), play the game, note where it's used, then create a texture for that tiny part!

I guess it's something to do with keeping textures/meshes as a complete entity, or part of the conversion process from 3DS to the game format. Whatever the reason for it, it's a pain!

Reply 106 of 109, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've updated the "Texture pack" page on the Glidos website to explain how to preprocess textures that will be mapped to trapeziodal surfaces. This is an improvement on the method I was using before: its just three transformations, rather than the five I previously thought were required.

Reply 107 of 109, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Excellent! I'll try that out later. Phil collins never looked so good. Thanks for the notes.

EDIT: Just had a very quick play with this. I'm uncertain about the initial selection, as it's a trapezium already in your diagrams. Do I therefore have to work out how it's mapped first -- can't I just start with my rectangular texture?