VOGONS

Application eating >500MB of ram

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by huglester

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello again,
just wanted to leave a note, that today nobody can let me in to test this solution.. so these tests must be left for tomorrow 🙁
And yes, the memory consumption is jumping
from 48.868 MB to 48.528MB and so on.

I'll be back with the results tomorrow I hope

Jaroslav

Reply 21 of 27, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well, it seems to me that the ~1MB of initial increase and tiny oscillation at the top is a bit nicer than the several hundred megabytes of oscillation with mass resetting of the search slots you'd normally get.

The general idea might be a useful improvement for DOSBox as a patch; where the search resources are immediately released for filespecs not containing wildcards. With the TSR, any program that performs an additional FindNext will get a "no more files" error, which is the expected and correct result; but DOSBox shows an "invalid search ID" error in its debug output because the search resources have been released. Shouldn't see any kind of error (even if harmless) for a normal FindFirst/FindNext sequence, so that little issue should be handled as part of a patch.

Reply 22 of 27, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

yeah, such a patch would be possible, although it's more an improvement than a bugfix.
Still I don't mind having it in dosbox.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 23 of 27, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
huglester wrote:

maybe I could then somehow make an .iso from my little program, but then I would need 'write' access to mounted iso.. But... I think there is no such possibility?

As per the readme (which you read, right?), imgmount doesn't only work with isos - it works with read-write hard drive images and floppy images as well. Hard drive images can be made with imgmake, from HAL9000's DOSBox Megabuild; floppy images are easily manipulated with Virtual Floppy Drive and would be a better bet if this program is small enough for a floppy. Either option is probably preferable to recompiling DOSBox. 😉

Reply 24 of 27, by huglester

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

Well, it seems to me that the ~1MB of initial increase and tiny oscillation at the top is a bit nicer than the several hundred megabytes of oscillation with mass resetting of the search slots you'd normally get.

The general idea might be a useful improvement for DOSBox as a patch; where the search resources are immediately released for filespecs not containing wildcards. With the TSR, any program that performs an additional FindNext will get a "no more files" error, which is the expected and correct result; but DOSBox shows an "invalid search ID" error in its debug output because the search resources have been released. Shouldn't see any kind of error (even if harmless) for a normal FindFirst/FindNext sequence, so that little issue should be handled as part of a patch.

Well I must say I have good news 😀
Yesterday I left the pc life, and today I went to check how is it going, memory is ok, doing normal 😀 So I think the problem is solved!
ripsaw8080, I can't describe how thankful I am! I must say that without DosBox and you, I would not have managed to deal with this problem!

Thank you very much!

Jorpho wrote:

As per the readme (which you read, right?), imgmount doesn't only work with isos - it works with read-write hard drive images and floppy images as well. Hard drive images can be made with imgmake, from HAL9000's DOSBox Megabuild; floppy images are easily manipulated with Virtual Floppy Drive and would be a better bet if this program is small enough for a floppy. Either option is probably preferable to recompiling DOSBox. Wink

Hello Jorpho! after your post, I've re-read the readme one more, and now I understand that I probably miss-understood something.. maybe because I was reading it at 5 A.M... not sure 😀 But It'll be a good lesson for me in future!

Thank you everyone!

Jaroslav

Reply 25 of 27, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Maybe something like this gets the job done .....

might even be able to check only for '?'
if we translate * to ??? in findfirst. I recall some version of DOS do that in the DTA.

Attachments

• Filename
    nofindnext.diff
    File size
    1.32 KiB
    Downloads
    113 downloads
    File comment
    issue findnext when there no wildcards
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 26 of 27, by huglester

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.

Since this topic bumped up, I decided to reply. the last attached 'program' from ripsaw8080 really works. A month passed, computer has not been powered off - still no problem at all, no single memory leak or smth like that 😀

Thank you very much ripsaw8080!

You saved my life!
Jaroslav