VOGONS

Retro Hardware Collections

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 55, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hanging note bug only manifest itself when the digital part of the SB is also used. So with most Lucasarts games this isn't the case. And it's a very specific "digital mode" as well. There was more info on queststudios (regarding which exact digital mode). So sometimes selecting a different speech driver solves the issue.

EDIT: Selecting MONO Soundblaster instead of SB16 should resolve the hanging note bug if you run into one...

So if your CT2800 looks different, that would indicate that there where revisions within the same CT number. Oh man talk about making life hard for a collector 🤣

Reply 41 of 55, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DonutKing , can you do the hanging note test???
get Hexen, setup digital and midi and :

Amigaz wrote:

Just run Hexen with Hexen.exe warp 02 and see if you get a hanging note after a while 😀
It seems you get it quicker with this special command line option than running the game as normal...don't ask me why 😉

quoted from this thread here: SB16 vs DBs (hanging / stuck / wrong notes in MIDI)

it would be extremely interesting to see how this goes since those later sb16's have better output...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 42 of 55, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can this be tested with the demo / shareware version of Hexen?

I should receive my first DB soon and would also like to test this...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 43 of 55, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

sure, rg100 states on the thread I linked that the demo is fine... you actually load the 2nd level of the game that is present on the demo 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 45 of 55, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:
DonutKing , can you do the hanging note test??? get Hexen, setup digital and midi and : […]
Show full quote

DonutKing , can you do the hanging note test???
get Hexen, setup digital and midi and :

Amigaz wrote:

Just run Hexen with Hexen.exe warp 02 and see if you get a hanging note after a while 😀
It seems you get it quicker with this special command line option than running the game as normal...don't ask me why 😉

quoted from this thread here: SB16 vs DBs (hanging / stuck / wrong notes in MIDI)

it would be extremely interesting to see how this goes since those later sb16's have better output...

I'll give it a try although I might not find the time until after Christmas. Had to pack everything away for a while

I think DSP version is 4.13 which as far as I know, is a dodgy one.

Reply 46 of 55, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's the rest of my sound card collection:

-ESS AudioDrive ES1868F:

essaudodrivees1868f.th.jpg

-AOpen AW32 Pro with Crystal CX4236 chipset and Crystal CS9233 wavetable(wavetable sounds pretty good to my ears, but the output on the left audio channel is very dirty):

aopenaw32pro.th.jpg

-C-Media CMI8738(perfect for FM Synthesis, worthless for SoundBlaster 16 support):

cmediacmi8738.th.jpg

-Ensoniq Soundscape(which version of the Soundscape is this?):

ensoniqsoundscape.th.jpg

-SoundBlaster Vibra16 model CT2260:

soundblastervibra16mode.th.jpg

-SoundBlaster 16 WavEffects model CT4170:

soundblaster16waveffect.th.jpg

-SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 model CT4780:

soundblasterlive51model.th.jpg

-SoundBlaster Vibra128 model CT4810:

soundblastervibra128mod.th.jpg

-Ensoniq AudioPCI(this one had a SoundBlaster PCI64 sticker on top of the ES1370 chip. I removed it since this is not a true SoundBlaster):

ensoniqaudiopci.th.jpg

Reply 47 of 55, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I posted this pic in another thread already, but I think this card is plain wicked!
I forgot to mention this one, but imo this is the most 'special' ISA card I own 😀

DSC00193.jpg

Edit: I also have these memory modules. Quite big, and not compatible with any board I own!!1...🙁

DSC00197.jpg

Edit2: And heres a picture of 4 cpu's including the SX-16
DSC00289.jpg

Well, I think that about covers it what my more special hardware parts are concerned...for now 😜

Reply 48 of 55, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A 16MHz 486? What the hell?

Also, what does that gigantic ISA card *do*? Looks like maybe an I/O controller, with some IDE HDD and floppy ports and some other kind of ports on the bracket?

Reply 49 of 55, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The gigantic ISA card is the IBM/Intel ActionMedia 2. It's one of the 1st video capture cards and is so old, it doesn't even have drivers for Windows 95. It only works in DOS and W3.1 or W3.11

As I never tested the card, I don't know if it works, but I found it sealed in an antistatic bag, so I suppose it's still operational. I've been meaning to build a system around it for quite some time now.

The SX-16 was only sold by Dell. Basically it was the "Yes, I got a 486!" computer, while still being slower then many 386's.
As it was only an oem part, they are not common

Reply 51 of 55, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I saw the discussion on the capture card in the other thread. What are the ports on the bracket (can't see them from the picture angle)? It must have captured at absurdly low-resolutions, as ISA lacks bandwidth. I also wonder what kind of compression it used (if any), such as MPEG etc.

Reply 54 of 55, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:

Loving the blue anodised look on that 486DX2! 😁

Yeah, was lucky to have found it when I did. Also lucky the previous owner didn't screw a fan directly onto the heatsink.
I'm sure I got a couple more gems stashed away and will post pics when due BUT...

Would anyone be willing to post some pics of their soundcards and add-on/daughterboards?
You know, the extra little boards you can attach to sound cards for extra sound?

Anyone willing to share pics of those? I only have one of those soundcard-daughterboards on some old ESS ISA card. It was called 'dream'-something.

Reply 55 of 55, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have some on my page at
http://mail.lipsia.de/~enigma/neu/pictures.html

The Dream chipset, if you have some newer version with SAM94xx or SAM95xx doesn't sound too bad after all. Even with just 1 MB ROM it sounds better than an AWE32 (imho).
Ofcourse it depends a bit on which SF you have in the ROM.
(Check Terratec MiniWaveTable Daughterboard on my page)

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool