VOGONS

Common searches

Retro computers and wikipedia

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 80 of 98, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

You have to distinguish between the Tablet PCs (convertible laptops) and the Tablets (smallish, ipad, wepad...) 😀
Current Tablet PCs can replace a common laptop or a desktop computer

And why can't they? You have to remember that most computer users are not power users. They use their machines for email, storing photos and other personal information, streaming videos, and maybe some light gaming once in a while, and that's it. You don't even need a low end computer for that these days.

Reply 82 of 98, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yup, don't misread me 😉
I'm not someone out to get another because we disagree on certain stuff 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 83 of 98, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tetrium, seriously - and stepping around the flames here 🤣, i mean no offence - why don't you write the article you want to see and put it up on wikipedia?

It's unseemly for a long thread on this forum to basically be slagging off another website. imho.

Reply 84 of 98, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

Nah, I'll keep on posting things like this. When people who obviously can't be botherd to write better call articles dumb and shit, why should one not give them flames?
Why can't you write a better article? Afraid of being called dumb and shit?

*sigh* I wish the retro pc stuff would have been banned on a forum dedicated to running old games on modern hardware....

Because flaming is dumb?
And I actually started a new topic a while ago, asking the admins/moderators of Vogons about their opinion that there were so many posts being made about old hardware, and iirc they didn't mind at all 😉

ratfink wrote:

Tetrium, seriously - and stepping around the flames here 🤣, i mean no offence - why don't you write the article you want to see and put it up on wikipedia?

It's unseemly for a long thread on this forum to basically be slagging off another website. imho.

Well, I did ask if there was a forum there. Since there apparently isn't, I figured I just put it here as I wanted to hear some other opinions about the matter.
I haven't written a better article at this time simply because I haven't had the time to do so. It's like when you're motherboard fries and you go complain about it on a forum and someone tells you to "stop complaining and build a better motherboard".

I'm not a writer, but that doesn't mean I don't know what bad writing is 😜

And if anyone is wondering, I generally do whatever I want to do. I don't do things when people ask me to, unless it's something I want to do (for whatever reason).
If someone dislikes me stating my opinion about some article then tough luck.

On another note, personally I think everything has been said here. If I may, topic can be locked.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 85 of 98, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Tetrium wrote:
Because flaming is dumb? And I actually started a new topic a while ago, asking the admins/moderators of Vogons about their opin […]
Show full quote
Dominus wrote:

Nah, I'll keep on posting things like this. When people who obviously can't be botherd to write better call articles dumb and shit, why should one not give them flames?
Why can't you write a better article? Afraid of being called dumb and shit?

*sigh* I wish the retro pc stuff would have been banned on a forum dedicated to running old games on modern hardware....

Because flaming is dumb?
And I actually started a new topic a while ago, asking the admins/moderators of Vogons about their opinion that there were so many posts being made about old hardware, and iirc they didn't mind at all 😉

ratfink wrote:

Well, I did ask if there was a forum there. Since there apparently isn't, I figured I just put it here as I wanted to hear some other opinions about the matter.
I haven't written a better article at this time simply because I haven't had the time to do so. It's like when you're motherboard fries and you go complain about it on a forum and someone tells you to "stop complaining and build a better motherboard".

I'm not a writer, but that doesn't mean I don't know what bad writing is 😜

And if anyone is wondering, I generally do whatever I want to do. I don't do things when people ask me to, unless it's something I want to do (for whatever reason).
If someone dislikes me stating my opinion about some article then tough luck.

On another note, personally I think everything has been said here. If I may, topic can be locked.

Every wikipedia article has a discussion tab. Use that or are you blind and...?
Flaming is never dumb when the flamed one deserves it 😉

Reply 88 of 98, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember thinking the exact same about Wikipedia's article on speedrunning. It was too short, it didn't cover all the important topics, it had some erroneous and outdated information and generally just wasn't very easy to read. So I went ahead and started editing. A lot. I looked up a ton of original sources and pieced together the entire history of how speedrunning came to be and on which communities it happened. I described all the important techniques and created example movies and screenshots.

I'd guess that at the moment about 80-85% of the article as it is right now was written by me, even though I haven't substantially been editing it for about two years. But basically what I mean to say with this is that there's only one way this article is going to improve, and that's if you yourself take up the task of doing the research and writing the words. Nobody is going to do it for you. You'd be surprised to learn that some of the best articles about speciality topics on Wikipedia were written by only a few contributors.

This is actually a perfect opportunity for you. You care about this topic, and not a lot of people do. This isn't like the article on mathematics that writes itself through hundreds of contributors. If you want to see it changed, there's no better candidate to actually make that change other than you.

</rousing speech>

Reply 89 of 98, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dada wrote:
I remember thinking the exact same about Wikipedia's article on speedrunning. It was too short, it didn't cover all the importan […]
Show full quote

I remember thinking the exact same about Wikipedia's article on speedrunning. It was too short, it didn't cover all the important topics, it had some erroneous and outdated information and generally just wasn't very easy to read. So I went ahead and started editing. A lot. I looked up a ton of original sources and pieced together the entire history of how speedrunning came to be and on which communities it happened. I described all the important techniques and created example movies and screenshots.

I'd guess that at the moment about 80-85% of the article as it is right now was written by me, even though I haven't substantially been editing it for about two years. But basically what I mean to say with this is that there's only one way this article is going to improve, and that's if you yourself take up the task of doing the research and writing the words. Nobody is going to do it for you. You'd be surprised to learn that some of the best articles about speciality topics on Wikipedia were written by only a few contributors.

This is actually a perfect opportunity for you. You care about this topic, and not a lot of people do. This isn't like the article on mathematics that writes itself through hundreds of contributors. If you want to see it changed, there's no better candidate to actually make that change other than you.

</rousing speech>

Good point, but I suppose you didn't write that article in a single afternoon, right?
How long did it take?

And another thing, what's to stop someone from harassing your work by undoing everything that you do?
How is abuse about a tender topic like retrogaming and retrocomputing supposed to be avoided?

Report spammers here!

Reply 90 of 98, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Good point, but I suppose you didn't write that article in a single afternoon, right?
How long did it take?

About half a year of working on it on and off, like maybe once a week for a few hours. It's not easy, and you need to have some degree of patience. But it's not really very difficult, it just takes some time and dedication.

Tetrium wrote:

And another thing, what's to stop someone from harassing your work by undoing everything that you do?
How is abuse about a tender topic like retrogaming and retrocomputing supposed to be avoided?

You shouldn't think of other contributors as just being malevolent trolls. They often have useful opinions that should be carefully examined. And sometimes they don't, in which case you can just ignore them or find someone to arbitrate if they're persistent.

Even so, I find it extremely unlikely that you'll have to deal with that at all. I was able to do whatever I wanted because I was the only one interested in doing the heavy lifting. I can't imagine it'll be any different in your case.

Reply 91 of 98, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It can never be avoided that someone looks at your work and finds it dumb and shit 😉
That said if you take care and write good this can be avoided. I know you don't fully grasp what I wrote about the authors intent to write about whole systems opposed to custom made rigs but try to keep that in mind when you rewrite the article. At least try to see that point.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 92 of 98, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dada wrote:

About half a year of working on it on and off, like maybe once a week for a few hours. It's not easy, and you need to have some degree of patience. But it's not really very difficult, it just takes some time and dedication.

Finally someone who understands that writing a good article isn't something that can be done in a spare afternoon!

dada wrote:

You shouldn't think of other contributors as just being malevolent trolls. They often have useful opinions that should be carefully examined. And sometimes they don't, in which case you can just ignore them or find someone to arbitrate if they're persistent.

Even so, I find it extremely unlikely that you'll have to deal with that at all. I was able to do whatever I wanted because I was the only one interested in doing the heavy lifting. I can't imagine it'll be any different in your case.

Fat printed sounds good.
It won't be easy to write an article that can improve the old ones and editing these articles will be nearly impossible without breaking the flow.
They will have to be completely rewritten.
And at the present timepart of the research has already been done hehe! 😁

Dominus wrote:

It can never be avoided that someone looks at your work and finds it dumb and shit 😉
That said if you take care and write good this can be avoided. I know you don't fully grasp what I wrote about the authors intent to write about whole systems opposed to custom made rigs but try to keep that in mind when you rewrite the article. At least try to see that point.

How can you know what the author intended or not? You can't see into his mind, or do you know who wrote it?
His opinions may have been completely different from yours (in that custom made rigs in your opinion are different in whatever way).

I don't see how being able to do repairs and/or customizations is relevant to retrogaming and retrocomputing. Both are verbs in a way, what you are trying to say sounds like when you ride a bike you bought at a store, then you're cycling, but when you ordered parts and put it together yourself, then you're not cycling?

Sorry buddy, but I'm not yet convinced.

Edit:

Dominus wrote:

...and finds it dumb and shit 😉

And just ftr (and to show you I do read more carefully then seems apparent), I actually didn't use the word "dumb" till page 4, and that wasn't about the article itself. Actually, I never called the article dumb anywhere hehe 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 93 of 98, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

How can you know what the author intended or not?

Where did he state that he knows what the author intends?

Judging the relevance of this thread it has come to by now, please stop posting like that or this may be a case for deletion sooner than you'd like.
This addresses everybody in this thread including me (though I won't put a "who posts below this line is stupid" message here).

Reply 94 of 98, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wd wrote:

Over here is the relevant part to your question:

dominus wrote:

...I know you don't fully grasp what I wrote about the authors intent...

wd wrote:

Judging the relevance of this thread it has come to by now, please stop posting like that or this may be a case for deletion sooner than you'd like.
This addresses everybody in this thread including me (though I won't put a "who posts below this line is stupid" message here).

I suppose your point is clear, but your example wasn't on the spot. Either that, or I don't see what you mean?

I'm not here to flame anybody you know. I always (unless I forget 😁)give credit where credit is due, even if I don't agree with it 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 95 of 98, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Tetrium wrote:
wd wrote:

dominus wrote:

...I know you don't fully grasp what I wrote about the authors intent...

Bah, and that after I pmed you that, even though I wrote that in that example like this, I began earlier that I think this MIGHT be the intent.
In a discussion earlier sentences counts and are expected to be refered to.

Reply 97 of 98, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wd wrote:

And again re-read that closely, he states he "writes about the intent" not "know the intent".

I never said I said that, I asked him a question.
I never mentioned he knew about the authors intent as a fact so please refrain from putting an example of me in a way that's not even correct thank you!

I don't see where your question is coming from so maybe you could explain it to me instead of me having to wade through the entire topic for a 3rd time just because you're being vague.

And if you want to lock this then please do, I don't think theres much more to discuss here.

Report spammers here!