VOGONS

Common searches

What old game would you like to see remade?

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 156, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hell yeah I'd love to see these games with updated graphics: POD, Rocket Jockey, Driver, Vangers, Omnikron, Elite II Frontiers, Morrowind, Blade Runner, and of course the original Deus Ex.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 141 of 156, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
King_Corduroy wrote:

Morrowind

You should keep tabs on the development of Skywind - a total renewal mod for Skyrim which aims to put Morrowind in the Skyrim engine.

Reply 142 of 156, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexter311 wrote:
King_Corduroy wrote:

Morrowind

You should keep tabs on the development of Skywind - a total renewal mod for Skyrim which aims to put Morrowind in the Skyrim engine.

People keep saying this but I sincerely doubt it would ever come close to the original. The Skyrim engine doesn't seem well geared towards Morrowind-style gameplay, I imagine the end result would just be a generic hack&slash action game... much like Skyrim.

If graphics quality is the big issue (and that's what most people seem to whine about), we have MGE XE nowadays.

Iris030380 wrote:

I saw Distance on STEAM and have kept my eye on it. I won't bother with any game in Early Access usually. Downloaded the (free) Nitronic Rush as well, but haven't installed it yet. I wish I had found it earlier, these guys really know how to make a racing game.

Try it out. Right now! You won't be disappointed 😀

Reply 143 of 156, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know it's a bit of heresy but I'd love to see a Tyrian made with modern technologies. I'm thinking on Ys I/II Eternal as a standard for the revamp, which is the best example of quality on a remake I've ever seen/played.

Reply 144 of 156, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regarding Morrowind, I don't think it really needs a remake. There are plenty of texture mods (and guides on which ones to use), plus MGE:XE adds a lot of cool features like post-processing shaders and extreme draw distance.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 145 of 156, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My issue is that I dislike Morrowind's gameplay. Heresy, I know. But it's just too much dice-rolling, reading, slow walking, and number juggling. Always liked Oblivion and Skyrim more.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 146 of 156, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Naw I agree it was way too much like a standard D&D based game in that sense, I loved the crap out of Oblivion though so if they could move the whole game over to the Oblivion engine it would be amazing, same with the skyrim engine. I'm pretty stoked for that skyrim mod since skyrim by itself is unplayably bland and boring..

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 147 of 156, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm the opposite; I loved Morrowind, it's probably one of the games that I've put the most hours into. I was excited for Oblivion but after a while I got bored of the changes they'd made; it was much more of an action game than an RPG. Skyrim moved further in that direction, so I didn't really play much of that at all.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 148 of 156, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is some renderer hack/"improvement" pack for Morrowind that adds realtime lighting and a bunch of other slow hacked on 'modern' crap to a hacked together videogame.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 149 of 156, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I happen to like action RPGs over otherwise, which is why I always loved Zelda more than Final Fantasy (not a fair comparison I know, but still).

King_Corduroy wrote:

Naw I agree it was way too much like a standard D&D based game in that sense, I loved the crap out of Oblivion though so if they could move the whole game over to the Oblivion engine it would be amazing, same with the skyrim engine. I'm pretty stoked for that skyrim mod since skyrim by itself is unplayably bland and boring..

http://tesrenewal.com/

Check out Morroblivion. Unlike Skywind, this one is pretty much finished.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 150 of 156, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

There is some renderer hack/"improvement" pack for Morrowind that adds realtime lighting and a bunch of other slow hacked on 'modern' crap to a hacked together videogame.

MGE XE

Reply 151 of 156, by badja

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sliderider wrote:

I just thought of a good one.

LEMMINGS!

Particularly 3D Lemmings, which was much maligned due to difficult controls but actually had some great levels. It would benefit greatly from a modern 3D engine with better controls and high-resolution graphics.

Reply 152 of 156, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lemmings rely on 2d platform for keeping everything in order. A 3D world where they could go everywhere on 360 degrees would be a bit hectic, I guess.

Never played the original 3D version though.

Reply 153 of 156, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Re: Morrowind
I'm not too interested in the Morroblivion or Skywind projects. I'm more interested in OpenMW. An open source implementation of Morrowind has the greatest potential to open up the game's moddability. Of course, this all depends on how extensively the code continues to get developed (beyond the initial goal of simply recreating the vanilla game).
The original game is already quite moddable, but lots of mods are pretty clunky or difficult to install, and there are definite limitations to what mods are currently able to do. If the underlying game code were designed to support what these mods are trying to do, everything would work better.

Long term, it's easy to imagine that OpenMW could add optional physics, better support for NPC schedules, better support for updated graphics, and many more scripting functions that don't currently exist in the game. Whatever features have sufficient interest could potentially end up in the code, while always maintaining support for the original features of Morrowind.
Trying to put the Morrowind world into Oblivion or Skyrim would just introduce a new set of limitations and compromises. I think OpenMW has the most potential to let players turn their Morrowind game into whatever they want it to be. It's a huge project though so who knows if it will ever really reach this potential. At this point they're just focused on getting it to run the original game correctly.

Reply 154 of 156, by gamrrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A beautiful old point&click adventure, historical culture, is The Sacred Amulet (in europe, known as "Aztec - The Curse In The City Of The Heart Of Gold") was created by Cryo Interactive and then distributed by Dreamcatcher. (Not same as "Aztec", that is a different game). Just beautiful for its day, and well-reviewed for game immersiveness. Rare disc/box. Mouse only! For Win 98. Beautiful graphic artwork; good story - young aztec has to save family and avert evil (corrupt) powerful person - who has blamed a crime on the player. They wove the story within a very good cultural picture of what routine town life was like (no it is not bloody or theatrical!). It's a good atmosphere, and good looking! No patches available for compatibility with newer Windows/systems by retro enthusiast techie, because it is not a well-known game. Cryo's assets were acquired by Microids, then acquired by Anuman. Dreamcatcher's company stuff ended up with Nordic Games Holding. Original code probably languishes unprofitably in a file vault somewhere. Wish the heck someone would port or patch this game, and especially wish it to be brought back to digital distribution under GOG.com!

Reply 156 of 156, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gamrrant wrote:

A beautiful old point&click adventure, historical culture, is The Sacred Amulet (in europe, known as "Aztec - The Curse In The City Of The Heart Of Gold") was created by Cryo Interactive and then distributed by Dreamcatcher. (Not same as "Aztec", that is a different game). Just beautiful for its day, and well-reviewed for game immersiveness. Rare disc/box. Mouse only! For Win 98. Beautiful graphic artwork; good story - young aztec has to save family and avert evil (corrupt) powerful person - who has blamed a crime on the player. They wove the story within a very good cultural picture of what routine town life was like (no it is not bloody or theatrical!). It's a good atmosphere, and good looking! No patches available for compatibility with newer Windows/systems by retro enthusiast techie, because it is not a well-known game. Cryo's assets were acquired by Microids, then acquired by Anuman. Dreamcatcher's company stuff ended up with Nordic Games Holding. Original code probably languishes unprofitably in a file vault somewhere. Wish the heck someone would port or patch this game, and especially wish it to be brought back to digital distribution under GOG.com!

Thanks for posting this. It's been in the 'to be played' pile for years but never got around to it. Good point and click AGs are a treasured rarity these days and it's nice to know I may have a few hidden gems in the collection waiting to be played...