AnDosbox - need help

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Great Hierophant wrote:

Is it inconceivable that someone may want to run DOSBox on a tablet, virtually all of which outside the iPad run Android? The ASUS Transformer series, for example, have a custom keyboard & touchpad dock that, when connected, make the device indistinguishable visibly from many of that company's notebooks. My Samsung Galaxy Epic 4g has a slideout physical keyboard with a number row and cursor keys. It could play a DOS game.

How big of a screen are you talking about? If you mean the generic 7-9" Android 2.3 tablets from China with no name brand on them that you see on ebay for under $100, then I wouldn't want to play DOS games on one of those, either.

Reply 21 of 27, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

an ASUS Transformer with the keyboard dock is the size of a small netbook. The screen is 10" or so.
I can see DOS games playing nicely on it, though I don't really care enough for such devices to try.... and playing DOS games on smartphones is just a joke.

yahma wrote:

Yeah, try DosBox Turbo. Its significantly faster than andosbox or adosbox in my experience. I play lots of XCom, and its the fastest of all three DOSBOXEN.

nice to see that the "DOSBox Turbo" guy liked my icon enough to mutilate it on his Market page. 🤣

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 22 of 27, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Some obviously like it good enough to shell out money for that. Some even liked the symbian port. As long as they are happy all is fine and no need to endlessly discuss it (unless some has real experiences with playng dos games theough dosbox on those devices). Let's move on...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 23 of 27, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

what I don't get is, why are so many people desperate to run DosBox or Windows on their smartphones? 🤣

I consider UFO: Enemy Unknown to be my best "phone" game ever, one turn here and one turn there, I can play it all day 😁

Although eventually OpenXcom will be a better option, looking forward to that day 😀

Most other older computer games I want to play on the phone now and then are already supported by ScummVM though, so no need for DOSBox there.

Reply 24 of 27, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Doom and all its sequels and spin-offs are great fun even on small smartphone screens. Ports like AnDOSBox or DOSBox Turbo are fast enough to emulate DOSBox at almost Pentium speed, and there are convenient keyboard replacements like GameKeyboard that can be used to control for these game really well.
Nothing better than a good old classic while waiting for the next train... most modern phone games are utter crap anyway.

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 25 of 27, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Modern non-Intel platforms are pretty good at DOSBox these days. I can play Lemmings on my iPhone 4 at full speed with AdLib sound, with core=dynamic specified in dosbox.conf.

Tomb Raider and GTA might be a bit of a stretch though, they're a bit more computationally expensive...

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 26 of 27, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

what I don't get is, why are so many people desperate to run DosBox or Windows on their smartphones? 🤣

I will be so desperate because I won't be home for much of the day so although I won't be using it (for lack of time) I'd like to be able to carry with me along the day all of the software I have some affection for.

Reply 27 of 27, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see what you're getting at, but I just don't feel that smartphones can do proper PC gaming experiences justice. On a PC, you have a keyboard and mouse and a relatively large screen, while on a phone you have a small, imprecise touch screen, and MAYBE a thumb keyboard if you're lucky. I would much rather not play my games at all than be forced to play them "improperly". 🤣