Best video cards with DOS / Win 3.x / Win 9x support

Topic actions

Reply 201 of 205, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dinth wrote on 2021-06-29, 15:50:

How about more modern radeons, like 7500s? I found quite a few posts saying that older Ati cards are crap in DOS, but im wondering if things got any better with newer Radeons?

Can't comment on the 7500, but the 9700 cannot run Second Reality on my setup

Reply 202 of 205, by capitaine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I could not find a Radeon which can run Shadow Warrior properly. I can play, but with crap colors...
Also The Lost Vikings scrolling is jerky, if I remember well.
Finally, there is no Radeon drivers for Windows 95 (not even for the Rage 128, anyway).

The best card Dos-Win3.1-Win95 I could find is the TnT2.

Reply 203 of 205, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
capitaine wrote on 2021-09-19, 17:54:
I could not find a Radeon which can run Shadow Warrior properly. I can play, but with crap colors... Also The Lost Vikings scro […]
Show full quote

I could not find a Radeon which can run Shadow Warrior properly. I can play, but with crap colors...
Finally, there is no Radeon drivers for Windows 95 (not even for the Rage 128, anyway).

For me the best card for DOS and Windows are the S3 ones when it comes to compatibility unless one wants good 3D performance. Especially if it has 4MB RAM for high resolution and comes from a good manufacturer such as STB and Compaq.

Some of the ViRGE cards may come with VBE 2.0 BIOS (there's a lack of awareness on this and supports a large number of VESA resolutions) instead of the usual VBE 1.2 and there's S3VBE20 as an alternative to UniVBE for cards that doesn't support VBE 2.0.

Reply 204 of 205, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-09-19, 18:03:
capitaine wrote on 2021-09-19, 17:54:
I could not find a Radeon which can run Shadow Warrior properly. I can play, but with crap colors... Also The Lost Vikings scro […]
Show full quote

For me the best card for DOS and Windows are the S3 ones when it comes to compatibility unless one wants good 3D performance. Especially if it has 4MB RAM for high resolution and comes from a good manufacturer such as STB and Compaq.

Some of the ViRGE cards may come with VBE 2.0 BIOS (there's a lack of awareness on this and supports a large number of VESA resolutions) instead of the usual VBE 1.2 and there's S3VBE20 as an alternative to UniVBE for cards that doesn't support VBE 2.0.

Agree that S3 Virge are great for DOS, more so with various support utilities, and arent hard to find or too expensive. I was able to get 640x480 and pretty good framerates in build engine games on a plain jane P166

P1 Build: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodooo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2 Build: Dell Dimension R400 - 400 Mhz, GeForce2 32 MB, 128 MB
P3 Build: PIII @ 1 Ghz, 128 MB, GeForce2 GTS 64 MB
Macintosh: Performa 630CD - 6300 board @ 120 MHz, 64 MB, triple boot

Reply 205 of 205, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
e-man wrote on 2012-03-12, 20:49:
At the moment I have a nice retro pc with an easy to remove CF card as harddisk. This allows me quickly add files with my regula […]
Show full quote

At the moment I have a nice retro pc with an easy to remove CF card as harddisk. This allows me quickly add files with my regular pc or change the operating system.

My current card, a S3 Virge Stealth 3d 3000 (PCI) works great in Dos, has good drivers for Windows 3.11 (1280x1024!) but in Windows 98 the best I get is 1024x768 at 16 bit color depth.

What I'm searching for is something like this but with higher resolution in Windows 98 (1280x1024) at preferably 24 bit color depth. (It still needs to run virtually every dos game and needs to have drivers for Win 3.11)

I did some research myself and came to the conclusion was a Riva 128 PCI can be an option. What do you think about this or maybe a better suggestion?

If free vram sockets exist a donor card could supply the extra memory for 24 or 32 bit colour and higher res as that chip did do as such