VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 22, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Iris030380 wrote:

Try to find a Mystique edition of Mechwarrior 2. It was an amazing version. And Scorched Planet looked nice on the Mystique ( I think it shipped with the card ) but it lacked something, more of a tech demo than an enjoyable game.

You mean this old thing?

cid_Pic20-1.jpg

Reply 21 of 22, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

What exactly changed from the early Mystique to the later one that causes incompatibilities with some games (besides the faster RAMDAC)?

My guess is that it is because many of the DOS MSI games make direct hardware calls and when the chip/core have changed, even just the slightest; it crashes.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 22 of 22, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
sliderider wrote:

What exactly changed from the early Mystique to the later one that causes incompatibilities with some games (besides the faster RAMDAC)?

My guess is that it is because many of the DOS MSI games make direct hardware calls and when the chip/core have changed, even just the slightest; it crashes.

If the core actually changed as much in these revisions a from a Voodoo Graphics to a Voodoo 2, then that's the reason, since back then a number of games needed patches not to crash with the Voodoo 2.