VOGONS

First post, by Maeslin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's an interesting conundrum.

I have on hand a little single board computer (Axiomtek SBC8242VE)for which the manual offers full documentation and jumper settings for pretty much any 486 out there (incl. AMD/Cyrix 5x86s) as well as for the Pentium Overdrive.

The CPU voltage is also fully adjustable to either 5V or 3.3V via jumpers.

The board is currently running an AMD 5x86-133 at a nice leisurely 160Mhz without the slightest issue, with 64MB of RAM total (2x32). Tried high-density 64MB SIMMs with no joy, but 64MB total is more than enough for the application and I'm uncertain low-density 64MB SIMMs would work either.

However, odd twist, the CPU socket is physically a 168-pin Socket 1.
SBC8242-w-400-wm-3.jpg

I happen to have one of those Pentium Overdrive (P24T / POPD5V83) chips on hand.

Now I've managed to procure:
- full technical documentation for said Pentium Overdrive, which also includes helpful interconnection schematics and comparisons between standard 486 pinouts and the OD chip.
- 'spare' 168-pin socket to use in making the eventual adapter.

I'm still trying to find either a LIF or ZIF Socket 2 or 3 (238 or 237 pins) which would become the 'top' of the adapter (no way I'm soldering on the chip directly). If anyone has any insight on finding those antiques It would be much appreciated.

End result, with much ressource juggling and physical alteration to the IRQ lines of a few PC/104 cards, would be a stratum 1 timeserver/gps repeater with both a gps time reference and an eventual rubidium source and 8-10 serial ports, each with individual IRQs. The Pentium Overdrive experiment is mainly out of curiosity and because any linux kernel more recent than the very early 2.6.x ones have... issues with 486-class hardware (amongst other things, cpuid instruction = kernel panic for CPUs which lack it and said instruction is used OFTEN in the early kernel code. Making it boot is a huge bitch.)

Reply 4 of 17, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ah, well thats a horse of a different color. Sadly, I dont have a cheap easy solution, but I found a company that at least pretends to make a 237/8 pin 19x19 socket. It isnt a easy lever style but the hard to remove version.

http://www.arieselec.com/products/data/14033- … cket-header.htm

I would guess making one or two will NOT be very cost effective, but if you order a box of them, maybe you can re-sell them on ebay for other people looking for sockets. Its that or you de-solder one off another board. 🙁

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6 of 17, by Maeslin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I considered the Cyrix chips but they would likely have a similar issue since the CPUID instruction is disabled in them by default.

Besides I already have the Pentium OD on hand and I'm not one to let good hardware go to waste. I also managed to find a source for new cheap-ish PGA169 and PGA237 LIF (aka "no lever") connectors. That was, afaik, the biggest challenge in the entire project. 😁

I'll keep you guys updated on the progress in the next few weeks when the parts arrive.

Reply 7 of 17, by Maeslin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Took much longer to reply than expected due to travel over the holidays, sorry.

End result? It works great! External cache is completely disabled though, must have forgotten a line somewhere. I'll have to comb through the Pentium Overdrive datasheet again.

Still, completely home-made Socket3-Socket1 interposer: victory. 😁

If there's interest, I'll take a few pictures.

Reply 8 of 17, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Maeslin wrote:
Took much longer to reply than expected due to travel over the holidays, sorry. […]
Show full quote

End result? It works great! External cache is completely disabled though, must have forgotten a line somewhere. I'll have to comb through the Pentium Overdrive datasheet again.

In fact I DEMAND pictures. Also full details of how you did it. Also, if you feel up to it and want to make a project for me regarding adding L2 cache to a 68040...

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 9 of 17, by Tiremaster400

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would like to see some pictures. I am a big fan of the Pentium Overdrive, I have a bunch of the 83mhz versions and two of the 63mhz versions. I also like single board computers, I have one sitting in a passive backplane in an industrial computer that is a Pentium 200MMX, I've only used it to play DOOM. I have plans to overclock some of the 83mhz Overdrives to 100mhz and study their behavior and compare to Socket 5 Pentiums and Socket 4 Pentiums.

Reply 10 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Maeslin wrote:
Took much longer to reply than expected due to travel over the holidays, sorry. […]
Show full quote

Definitely I'd want to see some pics of that little piece of hardware magic you concocted 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 17, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I thought it was already established that an interposer was not really required to use a POD83 in a 168pin socket. It seems all the extra pins were just grounds or something.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 13 of 17, by Maeslin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mostly power and ground pins, a few POD83-specific ones as well as 7 or 8 that are moved around from their normal '486' position and that are pretty important (reset signal, init signal, cache type control, etc.). You'd have to reroute those or risk getting very odd results / have the chip in an undefined state.

I also needed the vertical clearance given by an interposer otherwise the extra pins of the POPD83 would have been touching other components. :p

Reply 14 of 17, by Maeslin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
Maeslin wrote:

Definitely I'd want to see some pics of that little piece of hardware magic you concocted 😁

After much delay, here are the shots. and a few explanations.

I used the original Intel datasheets on the 486 as well as the datasheet of the POPD83 Pentium Overdrive. The latter contains a very convenient comparative diagram of pinout differences, what the new ones do and which should be routed where for mismatches. Copied the whole thing in Altium, measured the socket pin dimensions with an electronic caliper, adjusted a few things (hole sizes, etc.) and connected traces as required. Unfortunately write-back cache cannot be enabled as there are a number of write-back-cache-specific signals present on Socket3 which have absolutely no analog on Socket1.

4-layer PCB made by OSHPark, with Ground and VCC planes tying all the power pins together. Holes in the PCB were made large enough to fit around the 'wide' section of the socket pins, making it completely unobtrusive. Outer pins of the Socket3 were cut flat at the neck and soldered in the adapter PCB. Matching pins of the Socket 3 were left full length, their wide sections carefully soldered to the PCB and the remainder of their pins (the full useable length) inserted in the Socket1.

Honestly? Finding the damn sockets was the hardest part of the whole project by a long shot. 😵

From the top:
ixtb9v.jpg

From the bottom:
5kr1id.jpg

From the side, P54D CPU removed:
10z0dpf.jpg

From the side, CPU inserted:
15sauio.jpg

Reply 15 of 17, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Where did you find the 237 pin socket? I've looked in the past, but always came up empty handed.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 16 of 17, by Maeslin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Where did you find the 237 pin socket? I've looked in the past, but always came up empty handed.

Wow, sorry it took so long to notice this reply 😵

Here's the exact socket I used. Got 5 of them in case I screwed up so I still have a few on hand.: http://www.questcomp.com/questdetails.aspx?pn … nid=218455&pt=0
http://www.questcomp.com/questdetails.aspx?pn … nid=218798&pt=0 should be a valid alternative as well.

Reply 17 of 17, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry to necropost but thought someone might want to see the original images posted by Maeslin
< archive http://web.archive.org/web/20140907075805if_/ of http://oi58.tinypic.com/10z0dpf.jpg, http://oi60.tinypic.com/15sauio.jpg, http://oi61.tinypic.com/ixtb9v.jpg, http://oi57.tinypic.com/5kr1id.jpg >

Attachments

• 10z0dpf.jpg
    Filename
    10z0dpf.jpg
    File size
    68.37 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    From the side, P54D CPU:
    File license
    Public domain
  • 15sauio.jpg
    Filename
    15sauio.jpg
    File size
    61.19 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    From the side, CPU inserted:
    File license
    Public domain
  • ixtb9v.jpg
    Filename
    ixtb9v.jpg
    File size
    85.83 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    From the top: no cpu
    File license
    Public domain
  • 5kr1id.jpg
    Filename
    5kr1id.jpg
    File size
    87.14 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    From the bottom: no cpu
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun