User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sid Meier's Colonization includes BIN/CUE files in
C:\GOG Games\Colonization\MPS\COLONIZE
named COLONIZE.DAT (CUE)
and COLONIZE.GOG (BIN)

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 81 of 102, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GOG's game files are well set up, in my experience, and GOG is by far my favourite shop for PC games, since they are DRM free and work no problem (so far!).But admittedly I just run the games the way GOG intend, I've not tried to recreate the original disc files or anything. Still, given that GOG do so much for the gamers' good, such as setup the games to run well on modern systems, and include so many extras where possible (i.e. art work, and official soundtracks), then it does seem a little strange that they don't offer the original, untouched installation files for anyone who also wants them.

Is there any legal reason why this should be the case (I can't see what, but then I'm no lawyer), as even if the demand is small, it would be a nice incentive to buy the GOG version of a game rather than from another company.

Reply 82 of 102, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

That's exactly the idea! Share the info about the games you have managed to get going. So it will be easier for everyone.

Anything that gives a full installation CD is an instant buy for me 😀

I once bought a few games and found out they use ScummVM. I was pissed 😠

Are GOG.com ScummVM games automatically incompatible with real DOS? I just bought The Dig, Sam and Max, and Loom on sale and all three use ScummVM.

edit: nevermind. I just remembered that I got Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis working in DOS and it was a ScummVM game. So I will do some more investigation on these three games and see if I can make them work. It all depends if the original .exe is in there.

Reply 83 of 102, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Are GOG.com ScummVM games automatically incompatible with real DOS? I just bought The Dig, Sam and Max, and Loom on sale and all three use ScummVM.

edit: nevermind. I just remembered that I got Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis working in DOS and it was a ScummVM game. So I will do some more investigation on these three games and see if I can make them work. It all depends if the original .exe is in there.

I think its more that the GOG games setup for SCUMMVM dont always include ALL the sound/gfx drivers etc.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 84 of 102, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some ScummVM bundled games included the executables in a separate folder, but that's rare.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 85 of 102, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Some ScummVM bundled games included the executables in a separate folder, but that's rare.

Just checked on these three games:
Loom and The Dig have .exe and other files in a folder labeled "other". Yay!
Sam and Max does not. Boo!

Reply 86 of 102, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Dig runs fine off of the CD. Just puts a little .ini file on the drive. Loom keeps complaining I need the Talkie CD and exist to DOS. Neither run off the HDD if I copy the CD to it.

Reply 87 of 102, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can check on the rest of the games from the Lucasarts bundles when I get home.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 88 of 102, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:

The Dig runs fine off of the CD. Just puts a little .ini file on the drive. Loom keeps complaining I need the Talkie CD and exist to DOS. Neither run off the HDD if I copy the CD to it.

Yea what you can do is "source" any missing files from the Internet. Annoying that one has to to this after buying the game.

Reply 89 of 102, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, at least with these games, if I play them in ScummVM, I get MT-32 music, so they are better played on my WinXP box. 😀 Thanks.

Reply 90 of 102, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:

Yeah, at least with these games, if I play them in ScummVM, I get MT-32 music, so they are better played on my WinXP box. 😀 Thanks.

Very true, the latest version of ScummVM has the latest Munt included which is great.

Reply 91 of 102, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fate of Atlantis works just fine. The executables are in a folder called "other". I moved the whole install folder to my dosbox folder, deleted the GOG specific files, moved the items in "other" to the main folder and ran atlantis. Worked just fine. Both Adlib/SB and MT-32 sound files are there so good to go with the talkie version.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 92 of 102, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
senrew wrote:

Fate of Atlantis works just fine. The executables are in a folder called "other". I moved the whole install folder to my dosbox folder, deleted the GOG specific files, moved the items in "other" to the main folder and ran atlantis. Worked just fine. Both Adlib/SB and MT-32 sound files are there so good to go with the talkie version.

Yup. I posted this on the previous page of this thread. 😉

Reply 94 of 102, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Three more GOG games that work in real DOS with no fuss:
Teen Agent (15.4MB)
ROTT (18.6MB)
Blood (83.4MB)
All three work by just copying the files over (minus the non-DOS files to save space). Blood does include the BIN/CUE if you want to burn an install CD with music tracks, but it's unnecessary if you just want to hear FM or General MIDI music. Tried with both FM and GenMID and they work great. It's a bit more demanding than Duke3D. 😀 I can run Duke on my POD200MMX at 800x600 smoothly, but Blood has its laggy spots even at 640x480.

Reply 95 of 102, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Blood is a really great game! If you want to play a Windows version, then there's the free remake of it, BloodCM (http://m210.duke4.net/) which is really good. Since it's Windows based, it offers more configuration (resolution, controls, etc), but on the minus side it can't currently play the third-party fan made mods.

For the DOS version of Blood (and Duke Nukem 3D, and Shadow Warrior 3D) the inbuilt mouse routines aren't ideal, so you might want to use the mouse fix from:

http://swisscm.duke4.net/mine.html

Reply 97 of 102, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wizardry 6 works in DOS by just copying the folder. It needs to be slowed to 386 speeds to run normally. As reported earlier, Lands of Lore and Sim City 2000 come with ISOs for full installer CDs. I have a feeling with this big summer sale, I will be reporting again soon. 😀

The Last Express may or may not work. There are 3 CD images in the \data folder with .HPF file extension. I am low on CDs and didn't feel like wasting CDs in case it didn't work. I might try later when I get more CDs.

Wizardry 7 is the Gold version, which is native Windows 95. Might work in Win9x by just copying folders?

Lands of Lore 2 is configured with DOSBox, but not sure it will work in real DOS. No CD images, just lots of big data files. The DAT folder is 1.9GB, filled with mostly .MIX file extension files.

Cheers!

Reply 98 of 102, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought System Shock off of GOG to get the Enhanced version. Quite nice to play 1024x768 with mouselook. And the Classic Edition does come with a DOS Installation ISO. Bonus.

Reply 99 of 102, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:

Bought System Shock off of GOG to get the Enhanced version. Quite nice to play 1024x768 with mouselook. And the Classic Edition does come with a DOS Installation ISO. Bonus.

Yea that is a great DOS release! IMO including the original CD image is a must. Shame that not all games include it, but at least many do.

I actually enjoy installing it on my retro PC. Seeing the installation menu and all the options and all of that.