VOGONS

Common searches

qbasic

Topic actions

First post, by frusty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. Can I run QBasic in DOSBox? I'm running Win 7 64 bit. I've mounted a folder called qbasic. DIR shows that the files I used for qbasic in Win 98 and XP are there. How can I get the program to run? Grateful for any help.

Reply 1 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
frusty wrote:

Hi. Can I run QBasic in DOSBox?

You probably can, but you shouldn't, as DOSBox is intended for games. If you want to run old QBasic programs and you have the source code, why not consider FreeBasic or QB64?

I'm running Win 7 64 bit. I've mounted a folder called qbasic. DIR shows that the files I used for qbasic in Win 98 and XP are there. How can I get the program to run?

This is unclear. If you have QBASIC.EXE in the folder, then you just type QBASIC and press Enter, just like you would under 98 and XP.

Reply 4 of 16, by frusty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your replies. I tried typing qbasic when in that directory but nothing happens. I've decided to leave it for now and try to get my old PC running XP working again - I think (hope) it's the graphics card that's burned out. Thanks again. By the way, I really don't see why DOSBox should be exclusively for games. As it's a DOS emulator I would think it can be used for any DOS program, such as QBasic. 😀

Reply 5 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
frusty wrote:

I tried typing qbasic when in that directory but nothing happens.

No error message, then? That seems odd.

By the way, I really don't see why DOSBox should be exclusively for games. As it's a DOS emulator I would think it can be used for any DOS program, such as QBasic.

Non-game software, particularly mission-criticial business programs, have different requirements that DOSBox is unable to achieve. Games are generally more capable of tolerating minor inaccuracies.

Please consider QB64 (or FBIde and FreeBasic) before attempting to get your old computer working again.

Reply 6 of 16, by frusty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I'll try those two. There's a video on YouTube from the US School Freeware which shows how to install QBasic, and other apps, in DOSBox and it seems to run OK. However, the guy appears to be installing a 'full' Microsoft QBasic program. He opens and extracts a lot more files than I have. I suspect running QBasic in XP etc. uses files already on the operating system as well as those I have. I don't think the original program is available now - it's not on Microsoft's download center anyway; I didn't think it would be. Apparently QB runs on Win 7 32-bit - I've got 64-bit.

Reply 7 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are indeed many thousands of QBasic users out there who have successfully accomplished what you are trying to do.

QBASIC.EXE used to be available directly from Microsoft as part of a package called "olddos.exe", but Microsoft no longer seems to host that download directly. Nonetheless, it is widely available, such as at http://community.compuserve.com/n/pfx/forum.a … =ws-vintagecomp . This package was originally intended as a supplement to Windows 95 and the vast majority of files in that package have absolutely nothing to do with QBasic.

frusty wrote:

I suspect running QBasic in XP etc. uses files already on the operating system as well as those I have.

No, QBasic in XP will not require any files other than those which QBasic normally requires.

Apparently QB runs on Win 7 32-bit - I've got 64-bit.

If you are using DOSBox then it does not matter whether you are using Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit.

Reply 8 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

QBASIC
https://web.archive.org/web/20070316205657/ht … n-us/olddos.exe

GORILLA/NIBBLES
https://web.archive.org/web/20070206175842/ht … n-us/sup622.exe

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 16, by frusty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately for me, all the Basic apps I looked at run only on a 32-bit OS. The developers of Freebasic say more platforms may be included later. So, I could either install Win 7 32-bit (a little drastic I think) or repair my XP PC. I 'grew up' in computing terms with Basic, from the ZX Spectrum, the VAX VMS we had at my work, and through various Windows. I like it and find it friendly, if a little laborious, and would be sorry to lose it.

Reply 11 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Normally all 32bit programs run in the 64bit Windows OS as well.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 12 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I assume you're referring to this:

FreeBASIC currently runs on 32-bit Windows, Linux, and DOS (a 16-bit DOS is good enough, although FreeBASIC itself and compiler output are 32-bit) and also creates applications for the Xbox console. More platforms to come.

That's so poorly-worded I think I might send them an E-mail. To be sure, I tried it just now and it most assuredly runs under 64-bit Windows.

Also for emphasis:

temp!.jpg
Filename
temp!.jpg
File size
58.29 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13 of 16, by frusty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I try my QBasic.exe file, which works in 32-bit systems, a message says 'this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you are running'. I've tried Windows compatibility modes, but they don't work either.

Reply 14 of 16, by frusty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you Jorpho. I saw the message in Freebasic about 32-bit systems and thought it's no good trying it on mine. I've downloaded it now however and gone into 'open-console'. Could you tell me how to get the welcome screen you showed in your post please? Looking forward to re-compiling the programs I've written, mostly simple but useful to me. I once wrote a large program to calculate accrued monthly flexitime at work, but rewrote it far better in Excel!

Last edited by frusty on 2014-02-06, 15:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 16, by frusty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, I've just noticed it's in DOSBox. Could you tell me how to mount freeBASIC in DOSBox please to get the welcome screen you posted? Also, does it have to be remounted every time it's used, or can it be saved or accessed by a shortcut?

Last edited by frusty on 2014-02-06, 16:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
frusty wrote:

When I try my QBasic.exe file, which works in 32-bit systems, a message says 'this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you are running'. I've tried Windows compatibility modes, but they don't work either.

QBASIC.EXE is a 16-bit DOS executable and will never run under a 64-bit version of Windows without DOSBox or other software such as VMware.

Could you tell me how to get the welcome screen you showed in your post please?

I mounted a folder containing QBASIC.EXE as drive C, switched to drive C, and ran QBASIC, just like I said before. I really have no idea what you're doing...

frusty wrote:

Looking forward to re-compiling the programs I've written, mostly simple but useful to me.

If you want to compile programs (such that you can make an EXE that can be run without QBasic), then you should definitely be using FreeBasic or QB64.

frusty wrote:

Sorry, I've just noticed it's in DOSBox. I'll try it, but I thought DOXBox shouldn't be used!

That's right, it shouldn't be used, especially for business-critical applications. But there's nothing really stopping you.