VOGONS

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In this graph we are looking at Intel Socket 7 CPUs and how they scale on a 3Dfx Voodoo compared to a Voodoo 2. We can clearly see as the processing power increases, so does the performance gap between the Voodoo and Voodoo 2.

Interesting to see that Turok is quite CPU bound with little difference when comparing Voodoo with Voodoo 2.

Later games such as Quake 2 or Unreal are more GPU bound and we can see a larger gap between these cards.

c5ItSfn.png

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1 of 9, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This pretty much shows that the argument that it doesn't matter if you use a Voodoo Graphics card or a Voodoo2 in a Pentium machine is wrong.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

This pretty much shows that the argument that it doesn't matter if you use a Voodoo Graphics card or a Voodoo2 in a Pentium machine is wrong.

The two Quake games really like the Voodoo 2.

My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 9, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How much memory does each card have?

Aren't Forsaken, Quake 2 and Unreal multitextured? That explains the performance difference between the V1 and V2.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 4 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NitroX infinity wrote:

The Monster 3D has 4MB and the Monster 3D II 12MB.

My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An interesting tidbit about Voodoo1 is it has only partial triangle setup hardware. Voodoo2 has full triangle setup (though Glide needs to be v2.5+). This means slightly lower CPU usage. I imagine Voodoo2 is improved in other ways as well that reduce misc bottlenecks.

Reply 8 of 9, by Hardcore8uk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote on 2014-03-16, 13:14:
NitroX infinity wrote:

The Monster 3D has 4MB and the Monster 3D II 12MB.

Phil wonder what the FPS would be with a Miro Hiscore 6MB V1, i have one but not gotten around to testing it as took a while to source DIN to VGA cable, but from other benchmarks on the net it gets quite close to Voodoo 2 scores with that extra 2MB texture ram