VOGONS

Reply 21 of 26, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I tend to prefer desktops too, on the other hand, a desktop with this hardware would be very hard to find and probably cost over $500! This laptop was just given to me for free a while ago! 😁

Reply 22 of 26, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried to replace the floppy with another slim and THEY HAVE DIFFERENT CONNECTORS. Frick. Pics later, I just wanted to update, because I was just watching LGR thrifts... AND HE FOUND A FLOPPY DRIVE. THE SAME KIND MY LAPTOP USES. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6k1v1-ul8A 😵

Reply 23 of 26, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Later indeed. Well, here's the two floppy drives together, new one on top, laptop's original on the bottom. As you can see, they have different connectors! If anyone knows anything about these different connectors, feel free to pipe up.
BsypwtuCEAEfuWJ.jpg:large
In more positive news, I grabbed another CD-rom drive, and it reads fine now. No DVD capability but whatever. A good thing it reads fine too... as I kinda stripped one of the enclosure's screws. That drive isn't coming out now! 😵

Reply 24 of 26, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why not open up the floppy and cd drive, clean them with compressed air, oil the head movement parts with sort of light grease and clean the heads itself with isopropyl alcohol and a cotton tip to see if the optics regain a clear visual on the cd's and the fdd heads can acces the disk again.
This did the trick for me several times, usually its just a pile of dirt or microscopic debris on the head that prevent it for correct operations.

Age and dirt did its trick.

Reply 25 of 26, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm flattered, but I think you overestimate me! 😎
Anyway, I think older drives probably just can't read RW discs due to their chemical properties.
I guess since the original floppy's broken I might as well open it though.