VOGONS

Syndicate/Syndicate Wars

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 64, by Guest

User metadata

Hi there!
i got to know dosbox recently and tried it with syndicate first!
at first it worked fine(with sound) , until i tried to save a game. then it crashed and i couldn't start it again (had to install it under win xp due to problems mounting my floppy drive as such)
i have no idea what sound chip i got (most likely some on board stuff)
got a amd 2500+ cpu in a acer laptop with a s3 graphic chip and, as mentioned, a win xp he running. under win syndicate will start but no sound an way to fast!
hope you can help (to be honest didn't get all off that stuff you've been talking about above!).

Reply 41 of 64, by Guest

User metadata

I have Syndate Wars working with perfect sound, no glitches or crashes.
I am able to save the game, and the intro movie works although it is choppy but I had the same problem running it on a PIII 800mhz win98 box.
The speed is perfect during game play because of the ability to change the speed useing keys (-) and (+), which automatically fixes that problem.

However, I still have a speed problem on the main menu but that is a slight setback compared to the playability.

I have the retail version of Syndate Wars I am running VDMS sound the latest version, with the settings mentioned on this thread.

Windows XP pro SP1 and all updates.
P4 1500
640mb Ram
Ti4200 GForce4

Reply 42 of 64, by Lomax

User metadata

How did you get Syndicate Wars running on Win XP with sound and no glitches?? please in detail tell me everything you did to get it to work. I have the retail version of Syndicate Wars, and have been going over this thread many times, and must have installed syndicate wars at least 20 times in all sorts of settings to try and get it to work. I can get the game to start up and work perfectly with no problems except that i have no sound at all. i've tried using VDMSound but with no luck, i still get no sound, if there is anyway you can help me it would be greatly appericated.

Specs are:
AMD 2400+
1.5 gigs PC2700 ram
Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB card
SoundBlaster Live!
running Win XP Pro w/SP1

Reply 43 of 64, by ZkilfinG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got it working by copying all files in the game root to the data\ folder. My guess is that VDMSound looked for music data there, but it was in the root. Probably would be enough to move a few of the files, but I haven't bothered figuring out which ones.

Reply 44 of 64, by Lucidtomr

User metadata

Hi guys, I have Syndicate Wars running on Windows ME nicely. I'm looking for a group that likes this old game and games like it (Shadowrun, Anachronox). I will try to help those on Windows 9x systems, because Im running Win ME.
-----------
My AIM: Lucidtomr
My Yahoo Messenger: margeesk

-----------
Please someone message me on AIM or YIM. I can help slow down Syndicate Wars on ME, plus I'd like to chat to people who like this old game. I use Bremze and CPULower. CPULower doesn't do much, but Bremze does. The Readme File says you can get Bremze here http://ansis.folklora.lv/bremze I use the BREMZE70.COM and not BREMZE08.COM I probably should register so I won't have an Unregistered name in the DOSBox forums. I salute the programers of DOSBox and VGMS that other program thingy.
I hope someone messages me via AIM / YIM

Reply 46 of 64, by happyman

User metadata

I got the sound to work for Syndicate on WindowsXP pro SP2!

1. Download and install VDMSound2.1.0.exe
2. Copy all in root directory to the DATA folder
3. Start dosdrv from a command prompt
4. Run main.exe from your Syndicate folder

That got the sound working om my computer!

Happy hunting!

Reply 47 of 64, by Guest

User metadata

I got SW running under XP with VDMSound, but I'm having mouse issues. The mouse wont' move to the entire screen. It's limited to a region from a (seemingly random) point on the screen to the lower right. If I move it all the way to the right or bottom it seems to pick a new random point on the screen as the upper left limit of the mouse.

Anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it? Thanks!

Reply 50 of 64, by murky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

With DOSBox Syndicate Wars is running desperately slow,
but that's nothing new. Syndicate just works fine.

So, I installed the Swars Fix, VDMsound and launchpad, and the
other steps that have been typed in this thread.

All in all it is running, with sound. No problems with the mouse.

Speed, that is still my problem, I am running Swars on an AMD 2500
with Win2k as operating system installed.

Speedset just won't slow it down.

With Moslo the Intro is being slowed down, and the mouse control,
but Swars still seems to run on Warp Speed.

Is there anyone that has found something the last time
that would do the trick?

Reply 51 of 64, by u235

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
With Moslo the Intro is being slowed down, and the mouse control, but Swars still seems to run on Warp Speed. […]
Show full quote

With Moslo the Intro is being slowed down, and the mouse control,
but Swars still seems to run on Warp Speed.

Is there anyone that has found something the last time
that would do the trick?

I didn't use any speed adjusting utilities and was able to play the game just fine on a 2GHz Pentium-M. Once in the game, just press the - (minus) key until the game is playable. I'm actually able to press it enough to make the game unplayably slow. The menus outside of the 3D portion of the game still run pretty fast, but that's not an issue.

I wanted to thank TeeCee for his excellent post which got me finally playing swars. I spent a few days trying everything -- dosbox, vdmsound, vmware, even booting dos 6.22 from a 1GB flash drive. Each method worked, but various issues plagued each. Thanks again!

Reply 52 of 64, by Kain1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am running on XP and Syndicate wars works quite fine for me. I have patched it and I am using VDMSound, I get sound alright but I cannot get the music to work. I have the whole version with Iso (mounted in Deamon Tools) so the music should be there somewhere. Although I cannot get it to work, I have tried changing the path for the cd in the ini file to where my game is installed, also moved files from the cd.

Origanally the path is: CD="I:/Game\"
I moved the game folder to my harddrive and changed it so it would use that instead, but alas no effect.

Actually I don't even know if it cannot find the music files or there are some problems with the music itself, such as it needs some fixing of some kind like the sound where I had to use VDMSound.

I would be very grateful if someone could help me.

I also got a minor problem when I am running the game, when something big explodes (minimum a building) I sometimes get ghraphic glithces. Some ground (roads, pavement e.t.c.) gets wrong colours.

I can live with this bug/error if no one have a solution but the music is so frustrating.

Thanks

/Kain

Reply 53 of 64, by Kain1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE:

I think I solved the bug with the big explosions, by removing the "/w" from the play.bat file. Does anyone know what the /w and /g does?

Anyway, I encountered another "bug" when I tried the "Church of the new epoch" Campaign, after finishing the first mission the game crashed. Although I found what was causing it, by removing the "/m" from the play.bat file I could continue.

By the way, the /m isen't there from the beginning, but if you put it there you can press the "." button while you are off-mission aka buying stuff e.t.c. to gain 10.000 credits. A cheat in another word, so if you are getting crashes try removing the /m if you have it.

Still no luck on the music though, anyone have som ideas?

Downloading another iso, maybe it works better. At least it got the manual 😀

/Kain

Reply 54 of 64, by Kain1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, it seems that I cannot get the music to work because I don't have it. Although I found this page which is very good, it has a lot of information about Syndicate/Syndicate Wars and also downloads such as the manual and the soundtracks in mp3.

So now I am running the music with Winamp in the backround, and it works pretty good actually.

Still there is one thing I am wondering about, what is this "tension" music that I can choose in the audio options, I am quite sure I don't have it in-game so does anyone know how to get it to work?

/Kain

Reply 55 of 64, by ssma2005

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah thanks for the help on page 2 people. The method with VDMSound and VDMLauncher has worked wonders. I have been looking for a solution for months and finally I have been saved.
Although I do have one issue, as with Kain1234, I also get some graphics glitches when buildings are blown up. I get weird coloured lines all over the roads for example.
Anyhow I will try editing the Play.bat file to see if it makes a difference. Oh and while I am here, how can you get the game to work over IPX? It was mentioned you should beable to after using VDMLaunchpad, I would love to organise some online games with people if it is possible, it's a lot of fun to play 😀

Reply 56 of 64, by ssma2005

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

only having @main /g in play.bat fixes my graphics errors, man this is awesome, I can't believe I have Syndicate Wars running perfectly on XP! I'm going to make myself a custom CD with all the animations, movies, music and required programs etc just for this game!

Reply 59 of 64, by Office linebacker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great information here. I can very easily run Syndicate and Syndicate Wars thanks to you all.

American revolt is proving more difficult however. I have the original plus cd and you have to choose if you wish to play Syndicate or American revolt from the synd.exe. I can only get Syndicate operating from the main.exe under VDM. Any ideas on how to get American revolt working with VDMsound?

P.S. I can get it running with DOSbox but it is a bit choppy and the sound comes in and out.

Cheers.