VOGONS

Modern sound cards, what's all the fuss?

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 90, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HighTreason wrote:

At the end of the day, my problems with Win 7 stem from the fact that as far as I am concerned, the OS is supposed to be flexible and work for me, not the other way around; I should not have to go out of my way to work around the OS when it's an apparent upgrade.

That and every time I install it I end up with corrupted hard drives.

The main reason they crippled the audio? Probably DRM. It was probably done to make it difficult for people to make analog holes.

The OS is supposed to be flexible and work for you.. sure.. but there's not way something flexible can still work equally instantly for everyone.

You'll always have to tweak it. Not to mention Linux is the most flexible of all probably, but it's not like it's the best out of the box experience. So is for XP (BSOD anyone?), windows 98 (kernelEx somebody?) and windows 7, which imo is still the best modern OS, even for (the majority of) retro-gamers. It's better we don't speak of windows 8 because that's practically joke.

And no, definitively it's not the OS corrupting hard drives.

And GOD. What kind of conspiracy is this?
I even said that thanks to new UAA they could also include an universal loopback device, which works with everything (but HDCP audio perhaps, but that's another story). How the hell could this be related to DRMs?
It was all about performance. And indeed try to compare latencies between XP and vista..

The only thing missing is hardware "rendering" path for directsound

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 81 of 90, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

People sure get a stick up their ass when you point out a problem with Windows 7 and without fail, they cannot provide a solution. I don't expect what I want instantly but I expect the necessary tweaks to be accessible and I also should NOT have to rely on third party software for core OS functions, not least of which involved replacing the entire shell for local stuff and having to use a VM for networking at a decent speed.

Run Windows XP for years, no problems with drives, upgrade to Win 7 and get "Failed to write MFT" - replace drives, XP runs fine. Upgrade to Win 7... Repeat. I can only conclude it hates RAID0, thought it was a bug in the ICH9 but it happens with the an AMD chipset too.

Loopback device? Bullshit, I already noted that it is latent as hell several pages back, which renders it nearly unusable.

All about performance? I'll add you to the list of class clowns because an OS that takes at least three times longer to do anything and adds noticeable latency to I/O is certainly about performance. Jokes.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 82 of 90, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mirh wrote:

Even because since the dawn of times, men started to create fixes for broken things 😎

Well of course - it's always the quest for a bigger stick. 🤣

HighTreason wrote:

At the end of the day, my problems with Win 7 stem from the fact that as far as I am concerned, the OS is supposed to be flexible and work for me, not the other way around; I should not have to go out of my way to work around the OS when it's an apparent upgrade.

Okay, I'll buy that. But will you also recognize that all things have some sort of learning curve associated with them? I mean, when you were born could you walk? talk? drive a car? cook food? do calculus? All without being taught or instructed? Everything has some sort of learning curve. Some things are easier than others. I'm not really disagreeing with you - I also get frustrated when something is made complicated because whatever tool I have has some quirk. Sometimes it's a matter of getting a different tool, but sometimes it's a matter of being smarter than the stuff you're working with. Windows Vista/7 certainly are not 1:1 clones of 2000/XP, and in many cases do require some time put in to figure out how to do the same kinds of tasks due to those changes. I don't view that as a cardinal sin on their part, it's just a difference.

This is not a global Windows 7 issue. That doesn't mean you aren't experiencing a problem, but Windows 7 out of the box does not just "corrupt hard drives" in all situations. Without knowing anything about your configuration, usage, etc it's absolutely impossible to say anything more about it though.

The main reason they crippled the audio? Probably DRM. It was probably done to make it difficult for people to make analog holes.

They did not "cripple" the audio. They re-wrote the audio stack with Vista to improve stability and quality. And for the most part it is an improvement. It broke a lot of really old or really hacked together applications, but this was not deliberate, and many applications (probably the majority) do work correctly. Of course you never hear about things that work as they should ("if you do something right, people aren't really sure you've done anything at all"), just the things that don't work. 😊

It had next to nothing to do with DRM though. The primary objective was standardization and support. You can read more about UAA and WASAPI on Wikipedia, and probably other places:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Audio_Architecture
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_featu … ows_Vista#Audio

mirh wrote:
And GOD. What kind of conspiracy is this? I even said that thanks to new UAA they could also include an universal loopback devi […]
Show full quote

And GOD. What kind of conspiracy is this?
I even said that thanks to new UAA they could also include an universal loopback device, which works with everything (but HDCP audio perhaps, but that's another story). How the hell could this be related to DRMs?
It was all about performance. And indeed try to compare latencies between XP and vista..

The only thing missing is hardware "rendering" path for directsound

HDCP only applies to protected content (Blu-ray and HD-DVD) though. So for videogames it's irrelevant. 😀

HighTreason wrote:

People sure get a stick up their ass when you point out a problem with Windows 7 and without fail, they cannot provide a solution.

With no information about what's actually going on, beyond you getting upset/frustrated, it's impossible to even attempt to provide a solution.

Run Windows XP for years, no problems with drives, upgrade to Win 7 and get "Failed to write MFT" - replace drives, XP runs fine. Upgrade to Win 7... Repeat. I can only conclude it hates RAID0, thought it was a bug in the ICH9 but it happens with the an AMD chipset too.

I currently run Windows 7x64 on RAID0 with no problems. I've also run it with no problems on ICH9 for years. Does that invalidate your experience? No. But it does mean that your experience isn't representative of all Windows 7. Like I said earlier, it's likely corollary, not causal.

All about performance? I'll add you to the list of class clowns because an OS that takes at least three times longer to do anything and adds noticeable latency to I/O is certainly about performance. Jokes.

"Three times longer to do anything" - based on what? What measurements? What tasks? On what hardware? Under what conditions? etc

I've had no performance issues with WinVista or Win7 on any of the machines I've upgraded (but I've not tried either on machines that barely meet the requirements; the slowest machine I have running Vista is a Pentium 4 Extreme Edition). Nor do they "feel" noticeably slower or laggier than running XP. Start-up time for Vista off-handedly appears a bit slower than Windows 7, and perhaps XP, but I've never understood the obsession with start-up times personally, so it isn't anything I've ever really bothered with. 😊

Reply 83 of 90, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

It's not just Windows 7, I've had problems recording Stereo Mix audio on XP as well. How the hell DO people record their computer's audio output? I swear, all these people on Youtube who record footage of various games make it look so easy.

Reply 84 of 90, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

It's not just Windows 7, I've had problems recording Stereo Mix audio on XP as well. How the hell DO people record their computer's audio output? I swear, all these people on Youtube who record footage of various games make it look so easy.

I use Bandicam. Works on XP and 8.1. Under XP I use "What U hear" and under 8.1 "Win8.1 Sound (WASAPI)". Never had any issues but using newer hardware, Core i5 / i7 and Creative cards + latest web drivers. FRAPS works too.

What issues do you have? Maybe start a new thread about this?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 85 of 90, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

In addition to software solutions, like Phil points out, you could also feed the "playing" computer into a "recording" computer via some sort of interface device of your choice. For older computers, and especially consoles, this is probably an easier method assuming you have a second computer. 😊

Reply 86 of 90, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had no performance issues with WinVista or Win7 on any of the machines I've upgraded (but I've not tried either on machines that barely meet the requirements; the slowest machine I have running Vista is a Pentium 4 Extreme Edition). Nor do they "feel" noticeably slower or laggier than running XP. Start-up time for Vista off-handedly appears a bit slower than Windows 7, and perhaps XP, but I've never understood the obsession with start-up times personally, so it isn't anything I've ever really bothered with. 😊

Vista/7 need a lot of RAM for a smooth experience. But if they do have plenty of memory, it isn't that much slower than XP

Reply 87 of 90, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
smeezekitty wrote:

Vista/7 need a lot of RAM for a smooth experience. But if they do have plenty of memory, it isn't that much slower than XP

D'oh. Should've mentioned that - 2GB+ is really ideal. All of my XP or higher machines have 2GB+ though, so that slipped my mind. 😊

Reply 88 of 90, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
obobskivich wrote:

I currently run Windows 7x64 on RAID0 with no problems. I've also run it with no problems on ICH9 for years. Does that invalidate your experience? No. But it does mean that your experience isn't representative of all Windows 7. Like I said earlier, it's likely corollary, not causal.

I would even say that i'm using an ICH7 (that has not even AHCI support -.-) under 7x64 since its Release Candidate..
Sure, my hard disk got corrupted.. but you know. S*it happens. Especially if you have those damn 2007-2008 maxtor disks..

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
HighTreason wrote:

It's really damn easy. This if you want to be really scientific in your tests.

MSI afterburner for everything else

smeezekitty wrote:

2001 OS vs 2007 OS. Should we complain that windows 95 did require even less? d:

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 89 of 90, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:

Get Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD + Corsair SP2500 and feel the difference.

I remember hearing a lot about those speakers before they came out, and now it seems like they've vanished. Any impressions in real-world use?

In stock again, you may want to check them out, but make sure you have a decent sound card.