VOGONS

Common searches

Problem when setting up Windows 95 with Dosbox 0.74

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 35, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

It's like I just said: What folder are you mounting when you run Windows 3.1 in DOSBox, and where did you unzip the S3 drivers?

Y'know, if you would just answer these questions your problems could probably be solved very quickly. You've already gotten Windows 3.1 running (without 256 color mode); that's the tricky part.

Reply 21 of 35, by TG19942015

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And after two days and one disappointment more I am back around here. I'm absolutely sorry what I've said, I was only too stupid to specify the right folder. Now I'm running a Windows 98 in Dosbox. But, how should it be else, I have again a little problem. I will tell you in a few minutes what I have typed into the Dosbox installation window.

Reply 22 of 35, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Windows 9x is not supported and not stable in Dosbox. We recommended Windows 3.1x in Dosbox for this game.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 24 of 35, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

What are you doing? What guide are you following?

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 25 of 35, by TG19942015

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSg8Z266M1A Everything is fine until 3:06 min., because I didn't find the boot disk used in the video and there are no links in the description. So I'm using another boot disk but Dosbox seems to quit work then. And why I don't use another video? Well, there are four or five others, even with links, but there are errors for me as well and they are not explained as good as this one I'm using.

Reply 27 of 35, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought I was asking a very simple question.

Jorpho wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

It's like I just said: What folder are you mounting when you run Windows 3.1 in DOSBox, and where did you unzip the S3 drivers?

Y'know, if you would just answer these questions your problems could probably be solved very quickly. You've already gotten Windows 3.1 running (without 256 color mode); that's the tricky part.

You do have Windows 3.1 running in DOSBox, right? You mentioned as much before.

Also,

TG19942015 wrote:

because I didn't find the boot disk used in the video and there are no links in the description. So I'm using another boot disk but Dosbox seems to quit work then.

If you start following a guide and then start changing things randomly, you cannot expect the guide to work. This applies to many things in life in general.

Reply 28 of 35, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

So, start fresh, following either Windows 3.x guide (sierrahelp's or mine). If you are doing anything else please say so or in the case of youtube video guides, ask there.

Reply 30 of 35, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Ok, last chance before I lock the topic.

- Windows 9x is not supported
- your game might run wuth Windows 3.x in Dosbox
- this is not the help forum for VirtualPC
- when you have problems with anything Dosbox related, we are likely able to help you.
BUT you will need to tell us what you are doing. You are doing all kinds of things but not what we expected from this thread.

Reply 32 of 35, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

By following my guide. Do read it and towards the end you will notice that you can ALSO use a bootimage. Which means you don't need it. Just install Windows 3.x as the guide tells you to.

Reply 33 of 35, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If you don't have Windows 3.x then please use ebay or Amazon to get a legal copy.