VOGONS

Ad Lib Museum

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a scan of an AdLib MSC Manufacturer Rebate Coupon; I didn't see it on your site. I still have the original coupon in a drawer if you want a rescan or anything.
KPkYrNb0K6kRFzOEi5NcdwTzuBJkWIa7q29JDBn0d7N7pBedBH2AcWDkFA4iNaxQ7rx0AJonsnBhXCs8OQ0L5xcThNw2fW0h2T--ShcmJ_hkslDJxgbtfjrzoWV-5t_K06fEcE983DmJ4VHqBwOm--g9Vi2gmaBbLAjxp9iSqmpWyNSn4eTSOnfxORemzPLaCBgYgIpa0fFC5b8H5LWTQDrJ_QDwr8cvCmxH03godzioBWvbw6WPOKKQ-t7lAcAm4smqOiOv0NJB7M1o-dpKARZHqmEWGKvJ1k_p6ekgPrYRSzpIvgFIrfuxy_Q6JrnmEjn_C-rlNBbJ04LjweP_AQiOWIEbRfm_RHZL94Q4cssaMhNrfQL_rHZqTxg1N0JAR83_sS4Vq0ArqdPtIFW-0tO-daQFHmFD1qJMP4X31CvJUczc8SDPboMDWzxlS2K0-IUh2xfo1pVnORlz9_m_bRRSLrMbResfokRyAKefZcTZGehT1nJlznQJ0tUV_7ikePftBY1xOJObKmmgV8AmJHhDxHmzcIl9-2y2pIOM4yCuMjBQs1ebIkGVQFgz1cXXmB2g=w880-h382-no

Here's the link to my Google Photos gallery where you can download the full resolution scan:
https://photos.google.com/u/0/album/AF1QipN-y … CNn4r_m4m43x3AE

Reply 21 of 25, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Great Hierophant wrote:

However, Adlib was also a customer which also bought Yamaha chips and had commissioned Yamaha to build it a board with 12-bit DAC/ADC.

I once had the same idea but apparently AdLib Gold cards according to Cloudschatze were not Yamaha made.

Cloudschatze wrote:

The MultiSound did originally list for $995 in mid-1992, but given that date, would have been more of a contemporary with the SCC-1 than the LAPC-I.

Actually maybe the RAP-10 is the better comparison since both the Multisound and RAP-10 are both digital + MIDI cards.

BTW, i never noticed the unmentioned reference to the IBM MFC and the Yamaha SW-20. He did mention the Covox Speech thing and the Hearsay 1000 card, which i assume was some professional voice recognition card.

Reply 22 of 25, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would point out that the Adlib card was closer to $200 than to $300 once you took out the Visual Composer software. Then you had the rebate.

If Yamaha was not hurt by Adlib's demise, I would suggest it was because other companies like Media Vision had some in to pick up any slack left in Adlib's wake.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 23 of 25, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:

BTW, i never noticed the unmentioned reference to the IBM MFC and the Yamaha SW-20. He did mention the Covox Speech thing and the Hearsay 1000 card, which i assume was some professional voice recognition card.

They're in the MIT paper, not Rich's interview. 😀

IMFC:

The Sound of One Chip Clapping: Yamaha and FM Synthesis - page 22 wrote:

The version of the chip developed for arcade game machines would subsequently find its way onto a plug-in board that IBM developed in 1986 to go with its new PS/2 personal computer. But this was an expensive chip, the board wound up costing $499, and back then there was little in the way of market pull for personal computer sound. "We only sold about 10,000 units," Ishimura recalls ruefully, adding with a laugh that "maybe the only people who bought them were IBM employees."

This is the brief comment that pertains to Yamaha's "CBX-B1," which saw eventual release as the "Sound Edge," SW20-PC:

The Sound of One Chip Clapping: Yamaha and FM Synthesis - page 24 wrote:

Nonetheless, in late 1993 Yamaha's musical instruments division would attempt to enter the market with a sound board of its own.

Reply 24 of 25, by lazarusr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is a little off-topic. (But only a very little off-topic.)

You may be interested in an OPL based project I am working on. See here, here, here and here.

Anyone who is based near London, UK can see this in action here on October, 29.

At the moment I am working on converting the various Ad Lib Music Albums over to DRO format, so that they can be played on my 6502 based DROPLAY app. Then people can play these tunes using original hardware on some very old machines. 😁