VOGONS

My Pentium Pro machine

Topic actions

First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Soooo, this happened. I was looking for a horizontal AT case for my Socket 7 machine. Instead I found a Pentium Pro machine. It was 8 bucks, in working condition and fairly complete. I also know that PPros are quite rare — the CPUs alone are often worth 75 bucks on the Russian market, and Socket 8 motherboards/PCs are usually sold without a CPU. This is probably due to two reasons:

1) Pentium Pro was not a "home user" platform, so people are unlikely to have one stashed away somewhere in the closet.
2) Looks like these CPUs are also a very desirable "prey" for people who harvest old hardware for gold — searching for Pentium Pro on YouTube would give you quite a lot of videos on this topic.

So even if I actually never thought about getting a PPro before, I decided this is an opportunity I could not pass up. Besides, this machine meets a lot of goals I was trying to accomplish with my Socket 7 build anyhow.

So, here it is, in all its glory:

pKyPrRG.jpg
EXq1pDt.jpg

The specs are:

Pentium Pro 200 Mhz, 256KB L2 cache;
Intel AP440FX motherboard;
8x Sony CDU311 CD-ROM drive;
WDC AC21600H — 1,6 GB;
4x16MB EDO RAM;
Crystal 4236 integrated audio;
Virge/DX 2MB integrated video.

The machine also comes with two integrated USB ports.

I can't identify the machine itself. On the bottom it has this:

6gm8P7H.jpg

But I'm not sure if the FCC ID is for the motherboard only or the whole PC. Did Intel even ship computers under its own brand in 1996?

Also Krakatao is written on the bottom 😀

zafddO1.jpg

It's probably a misspelled Krakatoa — the code name of the Intel AP440FX motherboard.

Inside it also has the ISA ethernet adapter. You can also see the Virge chip on the board:

Imj9x5d.jpg

And here is the mammoth CPU:

TYS230g.jpg

I was surprised by the termal paste. Not only was it intact, but also so sticky that even after I removed the radiator brackets, the piece still required a bit of an effort to remove. I decided to keep this paste, so sorry for the "dirty" CPU look:

80FTELb.jpg

The CMOS battery is also intact and has the charge.

fzEBZw7.jpg

The system has 6 expansion slots: 2 PCI and 3 ISA. However, the screw that holds one half of the riser card is so tight that I couldn't unscrew it — probably will need a better fitting screwdriver (right now I'm just doing damage to the screw head). I've already added a 12 MB Voodoo V2 1000 card and a Sound Blaster AWE64 CT4500 with 8MB RAM (aka the best Windows 9x sound card I have ATM). I will also probably install a mobile rack in the empty 5,25 drive slot. I'm not going to mess with the RAM (AFAIK, this motherboard is somewhat picky about the EDO sticks and doesn't have slots for PC-100/PC-133 anyways) but will probably replace the HDD. Not sure whether I want to change the onboard Virge for a Matrox Millenium II.

Right now the HDD has Windows 98 installed, but the system only boots in safe mode. I'll probably just install a Windows 98SE from scratch — once I figure out how to make the system boot from a CD. Changing boot priority in BIOS does not do anything.

The BIOS also has options for disabling cache and choosing boot speed between "turbo" (surprisingly, it's full speed) and "deturbo". The onboard audio can also be disabled from the BIOS, not sure about the Virge.

That's all for the moment, gonna go see Civil War tonight and maybe mess with the system later (and post additional photos!). I really wonder who actually made this PC.

Last edited by jheronimus on 2016-06-30, 23:52. Edited 3 times in total.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1 of 24, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice, I have a Pentium Pro 200 with 256KB cache as well.
Mine is a Compaq DeskPro 6200. A pretty high-end workstation at the time. Came with a Matrox videocard, onboard LAN, SCSI, optical WORM drive and goodies like that.
What's especially interesting is that the CPU, chipset and memory are not on the mainboard, but on a custom expansion board.
I have a Compaq DeskPro 466 as well, which is basically the same case and the same mainboard, but with a 486 'expansion board' rather than the PPro 200.
I tried swapping the boards around, and it worked fine.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 2 of 24, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The LAN adapter turned out to be SMC Ether Ez — a 10 Mbps ISA card. Could be useful for my 486 machine, but definetly not for this machine. Switched it for a PCI 3COM 3C905B card. The internal layout is a bit cramped: one of the ISA slots couldn't really be filled because the card would push the IDE connectors hard.

Couldn't figure out how to boot from CD, even though the motherboard manual states that it supports it. Tried connecting the CD drive as a primary slave, a secondary master/slave, tried another drive — doesn't work. Will try using a Win98SE boot floppy.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 3 of 24, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope, even with the Win98 floppy I can't 'dir' the contents of the CD drive:

- the drive is detected in BIOS
- it is also detected by the MCDEX driver and mapped an E: letter
- however doing E: and then dir gives me:

CDR101: not ready reading drive E

Again, I tried different drives, even changed the IDE sleeve — nothing. At least I know there isn't anything wrong with the IDE controllers — have to dig around in BIOS now.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 5 of 24, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

are you using a burned disk? some drives dont play well with cd-r.

Yes, it was a CD-RW. I didn't think of that! Tried dir'ing an original Voodoo drivers disk and it worked fine. I actually reflashed the BIOS, checked all the jumpers, removed all the expansion cards, spent a whole lot of time in BIOS menu but never thought of a CD-RW issue.

Thanks a lot! 😊

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 6 of 24, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very nice looking case. Whats the sticker above the power supply? That my give clues who made it?
I think the on board virge pairs well with a Voodoo
$8, don't care what currency, that's a sweet deal no matter where!

Reply 7 of 24, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

Very nice looking case. Whats the sticker above the power supply? That my give clues who made it?

Yes, it great looking! BTW, an ebay search came up with some Intel-branded PPro machines (just not this one). Looks like it could be Intel-branded after all. I'll make sure to look at the PSU and make some pictures later.

chinny22 wrote:

I think the on board virge pairs well with a Voodoo

Yeah, but the 800x600 resolution is a bit of a bummer.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 10 of 24, by Arkadian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very nice pickup for 8 bucks 😁

There isn't a lot of information out there on this chassis. I did find a couple of catalog listings, the first of which calls this an Intel "Premier LPX Desktop". Not much else, really.
http://www.northwesttechnical.com/index.php?m … 2150c84cdea7156

The second I found says AT&T/NCR. The pictures here are much more clear and they list original specs. I believe chinny22 was referring to the white sticker on the backside of the chassis just above the power supply. Does this have a model listed on it?
http://www.recycledgoods.com/at-t-ncr-3249-in … p-computer.html

I got two of these in 2001 when I acquired them from a community college tossing them out for recycle and I recall peeling off those AT&T stickers. Mine in particular each came with a sub 100Mhz Pentium on a socket 5 board. These were some of the first "old" systems I picked up and really started messing around with 😀

Win98se 300A@450MHz, AB-BH6 v1.01,256MB PC100, G200 8MB + STB BlackMagic 12MB SLI, MX300 + 4MB MIDI, DeskStar 14GXP 10.1GB

Reply 11 of 24, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Arkadian wrote:

The second I found says AT&T/NCR. The pictures here are much more clear and they list original specs. I believe chinny22 was referring to the white sticker on the backside of the chassis just above the power supply. Does this have a model listed on it?

It says EAP200LP64ACR.

Actually, this one looks exactly like the one I have. Although I think Premier probably stands for Intel Premiere motherboards

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 12 of 24, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jheronimus wrote:

Yes, it was a CD-RW. I didn't think of that!

CD-R should generally be okay in any drive, assuming it was burned with good quality (I can play them even on an early 80s Philips CD player I have, long before CD-R was invented). CD-RW is much more picky, and you basically need specific support from the drive.

Reply 13 of 24, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I've upgraded the HDD to a 80GB drive, installed a CD-RW, a 3COM 3C905B NIC, an AWE64 CT4500 soundcard and a Voodoo 2. Everything works perfect now. The only question is whether there is a better use for an empty 5.25 slot? I don't really need a second CD drive or an HDD (mobile rack), since the machine is connected to my home FTP anyhow. Any ideas?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 14 of 24, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jheronimus wrote:

Well, I've upgraded the HDD to a 80GB drive, installed a CD-RW, a 3COM 3C905B NIC, an AWE64 CT4500 soundcard and a Voodoo 2. Everything works perfect now. The only question is whether there is a better use for an empty 5.25 slot? I don't really need a second CD drive or an HDD (mobile rack), since the machine is connected to my home FTP anyhow. Any ideas?

5 1/4 floppy drive of course

Reply 15 of 24, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

An interesting thing: I have a a much better LAN transfer rate on Pentium Pro than I had with a Pentium MMX. Both machine had 3COM adapters (3C905B and 3C905C respectively). They have the same HDD, same OS (Win 98SE), same FTP client (Total Commander) and same amount of RAM (though, it's EDO vs PC-100). Also ran TCPOptimizer on both. However, the PPro gives me about 4,500 kbytes/sec whereas PMMX gave me about 400-500 kbytes.

To be fair, the FTP servers are different (I'm running vsftpd under Ubuntu 16.04 now, used the Windows 10 built-in FTP before, same network), but I'm not sure it could account for 10x difference.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 16 of 24, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found that a 3com ISA card was very slow in my 486 as well. It would only reach about 200-300 KB/s. In a Pentium it would go faster.
I put an SMC ISA card in the 486 instead, and then it reached ~500 KB/s.
So it seems that some network cards have a lot more CPU overhead than others.

Reply 17 of 24, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it may depend on how much of the work the cpu does, i guess packet handling is going to be a lot faster on 32bit optimized machines anyway, to my knowledge noone beats ppros 32bit performance; intel server NICs do perform a lot of offloading, maybe try these?
btw anyone knows how to check in general what kind of offloading the installed NIC does? did anyone do a serious performance comparison?

Reply 18 of 24, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd like to test the deturbo BIOS option and disabling the CPU cache. What would be the most accurate Win9x benchmark that has a table of results for others CPU to compare with?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog