VOGONS

This will make you die inside (really) Voodoo 5 6000 "playdough"

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 41, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay , having a quick look at the photos , the reason he used "playdoh" is becouse he added 4x paltiers under the watercooling kit , I can only assume he is thinking that somehow with the paltiers he is going to cool the card well enough that it will run below ambient and condensation will form, it also looks like a starch based playdoh so I am pretty sure it's conductive unlike the silicon ones.

This is grossly stupid, the cards overclocking potential isn't hindered from a thermal perspective , but rather from a architecture perspective , the card just doesn't overclocking well, also he mentioned that the card would not start cause there was playdoh on the smd components so clearly the stuff he used was conductive....

He did make a nice waterblock and it would have been impressive if he just left it at that , water-cooled v5 6000 is pretty cool.

I get extreme overclocking with new hardware to try and break world records , but no one is going to care if you hold the record for a gfx card that is so old and never even made it to manufacture.

Reply 21 of 41, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup. I'm guessing the card hits some bus or circuit timing limits internally. If he can't get any clock speed increases going from air to water (sans Peltier action), he's hit the wall already and there's no sense pressing further. If you read some of his posts, he doesn't make any of his own gear. It's all purchased from fabricators. So he's really just a big sack of meat, bones, and bad ideas.

I guess we can be glad his hobby isn't guns or explosives.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 22 of 41, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Would that really be a bad thing though? I mean, Darwin would surely have to take effect sooner or later if that were the case.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 23 of 41, by Rawrl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HighTreason wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

Would that really be a bad thing though? I mean, Darwin would surely have to take effect sooner or later if that were the case.

Yeah, but think of the undeserving folks he'd no doubt take with him.

Reply 24 of 41, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So.... Basically all this talk about Vogon users are giving up on the dream of having an V5, is that guy????
I am thinking about the "Is a V5 worth it?" tread. Were people have said that they have chosen not to own one because of the price tag!
Others are talking about horders driving the price up. Yeah.... Basically it is this guy in person, who are responsible.
The one that HighTreason is calling an "Elites smuck"?

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 28 of 41, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember about 5-6 years ago when you would occasionally see a V5-6000 on ebay. I passed those saying "nah, too much money" for $200-300. Now I can't see one for sale anywhere. 🙁

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 29 of 41, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
stamasd wrote:

I remember about 5-6 years ago when you would occasionally see a V5-6000 on ebay. I passed those saying "nah, too much money" for $200-300. Now I can't see one for sale anywhere. 🙁

Not only that but we have no way of knowing who owns them anymore. They arnt traded openly anymore like they used to be.
Ok OK, it's not all to hard to track some of them down. Just look around the 3dfx fan site and ask. But with gold leaders voodoo 6000 owners list gone it's not all the simple to find out anymore. It used to be all you had to do was look at the list's gold had, you could find all the owners of rare 3dfx cards with the lists he had.

Reply 30 of 41, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FaSMaN wrote:

Well then , in that case he has shown even less skill, and should look for a new hobby , maybe sports of some sort.

I have read somewere that he has a short temper. The french foreign legion might be a better choice, and yes, he will get some exercise. 🤣

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 31 of 41, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
brostenen wrote:
FaSMaN wrote:

Well then , in that case he has shown even less skill, and should look for a new hobby , maybe sports of some sort.

I have read somewere that he has a short temper. The french foreign legion might be a better choice, and yes, he will get some exercise. 🤣

He does not have a temper per say, he likes to play dumb and MR. innocent a lot. but if you push him after he plays the innocent card he can get mad.
Oh and his HWbot page says he's from Senegal. But I always heard he was French as well.

Reply 32 of 41, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One thought does occur to me... Did anyone reputable ever come out of the woodwork to say they actually sold this guy a card? What if the guy just owns a few dead ones - possibly one or two working ones for photo purposes, but then we don't see the wires anyway - and it's all just a huge scheme to drive the value up even further?

Hoarders and elitist shmucks? Hoarders who never open the boxes to use this stuff are only a stones throw away from this guy and it becomes a very fine line indeed if they own multiple devices of the same type. At least, in my mind. This is one of the reasons I occasionally give away or trade spare parts that I know I will never use, it isn't fair to rob other people of them just because of my own greed.

Reply 33 of 41, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Some have. But after everything he did no one wanted to say they sold him a card.

As for hoarders, most of them in the 3dfx comity are well known and do there part in cataloging a lot of 3dfx stuff and helping out with online virtual museums. So not all is lost with some hoarders.

Reply 35 of 41, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Robbing other people? Greed??

So please tell us how much we CAN have of each part! Simply stupid statement in my opinion..... let's get real now, it's a hobby.

The guy paid for them so HE is the owner and he can do whatever he wants with them.
He has a lot of those cards and imho he made the best looking 3dfx coolers i've ever seen on the net.

He likes to play with them and it is a shame that his knowledge is not up to par. If he killed a card in the process it's a shame.... i guess most of us did something stupid with hardware down the line, he just did it with HIS hardware and it happened to be a v5 6k.

Besides, it was 3 years ago. Old news.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 36 of 41, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
meljor wrote:
Robbing other people? Greed?? […]
Show full quote

Robbing other people? Greed??

So please tell us how much we CAN have of each part! Simply stupid statement in my opinion..... let's get real now, it's a hobby.

The guy paid for them so HE is the owner and he can do whatever he wants with them.
He has a lot of those cards and imho he made the best looking 3dfx coolers i've ever seen on the net.

He likes to play with them and it is a shame that his knowledge is not up to par. If he killed a card in the process it's a shame.... i guess most of us did something stupid with hardware down the line, he just did it with HIS hardware and it happened to be a v5 6k.

Besides, it was 3 years ago. Old news.

I agree... and not. Yes, these are his cards, he paid for them, can do what he wants with them.

But for a commodity in limited supply like this, what happens to one can drive the market to extremes. And it has. So what he does with his property influences the property of others. Are you surprised that other owners/potential owners have strong feelings about it?

(BTW I don't own a V5-6000, but I'd love to)

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 38 of 41, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't own one, nor do I want to simply because they do not interest me at all, if I want 3D I'll get a GeForce 2 Ultra or a 4 Ti... But that's not the point. To me it's the moral of it, something people with any power over anything usually lack, especially on the internet. It's a bit like how I know someone out there, not even all too far away, has used CC:BY:NC material that I created for commercial purposes and without attribution... That's a little immoral in my opinion.

However, I believe they probably did it unintentionally and unknowingly, probably blissfully unaware of the fact I created it in the first place, possibly even that it is under this license, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, it probably isn't doing me any harm. Sure, I could DMCA them off the face of the earth, it might even feel good for a moment to destroy their wrongly earned livelihood, but it would feel very immoral of me and I would soon feel remorse for it, yeah I can be a dick sometimes but I'm not all bad you know.

Reply 39 of 41, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

There is more to the story then you know.
Not all the cards he has were bought, some of the cards he has were swindled out of the hands of 3dfx fans. If I recall he took 2 cards from 2 different people clamming to do something to them but never returned them. I think he was going to have a water block made for one and the other I can't recall.

He killed 3 ( it was 3 last I looked) 6k's on purpose to drive up prices. He tried to sell a 6k after killing a few and hoarding them. If I recall there is only like 30 fully working voodoo 6000 and 300 in all before he came along.
Started countless fights on 3dfx forums most of witch were started by him calming how many 3dfx cards he had that he was not going to ever let anyone have/touch any. And made fun of many more knowable members of the 3dfx community for trying to help him with his cooling mods and asking him not to kill 3dfx cards.

he's been banded from countess 3dfx sites for not fallowing rules and having multiple accounts Used multiple user accounts to swindled people out of 3dfx cards. He owns every rampage card and has said countless time that no one will ever see them again.

He also can get really nastily if you don't sell/give him any rare 3dfx cards

And he had nothing to do with making the blocks, he sent that cards off and handed the keys over so to say with making the blocks.
By the way this is the best and best looking 3dfx water block.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpT48qmLLRS46L_KudIiCL2HVDrw84beL40ZYSok84dwMgnRkmtg