More DOS PCI Benchmarks

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Two of my S3 cards have the black level bug, but thanks to switched on VOGONS members, there are fixes for this.

What are the fixes? I have a Virge DX and Trio3D which exhibit a greyish black-level. On the other hand, I have a Trio64V2/DX and a VirgeGX which do not have this problem. It seems like I have resolved this issue on other cards by using the VGA BIOS from a competitor's PCB. In the case of the Virge DX and Trio3D, I do not have known good VGA BIOSes.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 21 of 23, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Two of my S3 cards have the black level bug, but thanks to switched on VOGONS members, there are fixes for this.

What are the fixes? I have a Virge DX and Trio3D which exhibit a greyish black-level. On the other hand, I have a Trio64V2/DX and a VirgeGX which do not have this problem. It seems like I have resolved this issue on other cards by using the VGA BIOS from a competitor's PCB. In the case of the Virge DX and Trio3D, I do not have known good VGA BIOSes.

S3 AGP Cards (and possibly others) Too Bright

edit: According to the benchmarks at vgamuseum.info, the Virge DX and GX are the fastest of the S3 PCI cards. And the GX has great compatibility according to http://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/. The GX seems to be the holy grail of S3 cards, at least on the PCI side. And the GX and at least some DX versions have VBE2.0 built in.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 22 of 23, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How about GX2?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 23 of 23, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

How about GX2?

Don't know, they don't have the PCI GX2 in their benchmarks. Only AGP.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks