What do you NOT have enough of?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 68, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
James-F wrote:

The truth is money buys EVERYTHING, all else can be derived from money directly or indirectly.

Except for maybe time.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 41 of 68, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unknown_K wrote:

Unlimited money would ruin the hobby, you just pay people to find you everything. Finding a great deal can really make your day and hunting for a rarity is more fun then just shelling out cash.

Yeah, "it's not the kill but the thrill of the chase!" 😁

What I need the most right now is space. Not storage space, but somewhere to set up my retro machines properly. Currently I have 4 computer cases and several keyboards and boxes under my desk, which prevents me from stretching my legs 😢

The top of the desk is even worse: piles of hard drives, piles of optical drives and lots of miscellaneous stuff. Now that I think of it, I also need some time to organize all this 😁

Reply 42 of 68, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would have plenty of space if I could just get rid of all the books I have cluttering the place (a previous hobby). Back when e-books were taking off you could pick up really nice condition hard back editions of books for pennies. They were being dumped like vinyl records in the 1990s. I wonder if books will ever come back to popularity the same way.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 43 of 68, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I hope books (linear read literature especially) never come back. They are a waste of resources.
We do need cheaper ebooks though, or resell rights.

I need drive and time. Oh, and money. Space would be nice but money solves that problem nicely.
And a new hobby. Actually this would be the second thing in the list.

On the hardware front I can't seem to get enough of 486 machines. I wonder why. They are pretty rare here. Older stuff is simply missing alltogether from the local market.

Reply 45 of 68, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
James-F wrote:

The truth is money buys EVERYTHING, all else can be derived from money directly or indirectly.

Except for maybe time.

Although it can buy goons.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 46 of 68, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
James-F wrote:

Money can't buy wisdom. Without wisdom, the money will be gone sooner than later.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 47 of 68, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Money sometimes buys arrogance and bluster. I could go on, but this shouldn't be a politics thread.

Reply 48 of 68, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
James-F wrote:

Except for maybe time.

True

clueless1 wrote:
James-F wrote:

Money can't buy wisdom. Without wisdom, the money will be gone sooner than later.

^Agreed!

Report spammers here!

Reply 49 of 68, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
clueless1 wrote:
James-F wrote:

^Agreed!

Case in point:
Mike-Tyson-.jpg

Reply 50 of 68, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
James-F wrote:

Except for maybe time.

Goons? Dare I ask?

Reply 51 of 68, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
snorg wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

Goons? Dare I ask?

Sure, here's one 😁

gdjacobs wrote:
http://www.seven-health.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Mike-Tyson-.jpg […]
Show full quote

Mike-Tyson-.jpg

Report spammers here!

Reply 53 of 68, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
James-F wrote:

What an unfortunate view of the world; thankfully you're quite wrong.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 54 of 68, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
snorg wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

Goons? Dare I ask?

Sure, here's one 😁

gdjacobs wrote:
http://www.seven-health.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Mike-Tyson-.jpg […]
Show full quote

Mike-Tyson-.jpg

Although he's of limited use for that purpose. I'm thinking more of goons you can use to help accomplish something. Underlings, if you will.
1e344e1c752cd9cd320144b1e38d1ceb.jpg

Reply 55 of 68, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess I'll have to explain myself.

Money can buy time in the sense that one don't have to wast the majority of his time in a day job.
With this free time and money one have a better sense and direction of what one wants to do in this reality from the true self, not what society demands from him, yes, that requires some degree of self awareness and intelligence.
Once one acquired the necessary skills to be proficient in his area of his interest, one can return and give service to this world with complete authenticity and truth to one self yet still keeping time under his management.
In return to ones service, one should receive even bigger amount of money than one can spend to live a life without lack.
A direct example of this is successful actors and musicians, this should be a normal cycle of a soul in this world.

If one lacks intelligence, self-esteem, love etc.., one can be proactive in the direction of acquiring intelligence, self-esteem and love by spending his money (thus time) on professional personnel that can help fix that.
Money gives you time and power to choose to be, do, and have anything your soul desires, but If you authentically give something back to this world, the experience become even better.

So you see, no matter how you look at it, money can buy everything directly or indirectly.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 56 of 68, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
James-F wrote:

If one lacks intelligence, self-esteem, love etc.., one can be proactive in the direction of acquiring intelligence, self-esteem and love by spending his money (thus time) on professional personnel that can help fix that.

🤣

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 58 of 68, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Putas wrote:

pylons

YYYEESSSSS.....

For me it's time and money, and Pylons.

If we are being specific about hardware., I guess good quality power supplies. But, more then anything I get all these idea's for projects either based on what other people have done, OR things I thought of myself and I never really have time for 80% of the things I actually want to do. I even buy the stuff for the projects and it just sits a lot of the time.

Reply 59 of 68, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Spare power supplies......

Let me tell you, I probably have the oldest cases of any retro rigs here (one XT, one full-size AT, one Tandy 1000 - I'm a part of the right rear paddle switch brigade!). I'm now tempted to ramp up a campaign to accumulate a good sum of XT and AT PSU for those guys now after having blown one each over the past 10 years. Plus it might help to have a second one I can pull proper values off of to find out what killed it.

Once I have a house, cases might be a problem assuming I have any motherboards left - but I'm seriously thinking about taking up metal-work to a bigger scale now so I could just build my own in any style I want.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/