VOGONS

First post, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got this board since quite some time, and I always wondered if I couldn't make something better from this crappy board.

Some of the m915 actually had real L2 cache, but many other didn't. But unlike the m919, the traces don't go in circles, they actually go to the chipset, and I measured and the fake chips actually receives power on mine so I'm pretty sure that it is possible to re-enable cache on these boards. I already desoldered the fake chips, and since i have 3 dead 486 mobo with cache and sockets for cache, I could silmply swap the sockets and the cache from one board to another. All I would need then is the bios that came with the same board but the models that featured real functional cache and then flash it and use it in my board. This would make it a more respectable mobo

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 1 of 14, by FesterBlatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think the BIOS you seek is available on this page here: http://th2chips.freeservers.com/m915/

EDIT: I also wanted to note that many boards of this era used OTP (one time programmable) PROMS for the BIOS. Just something to keep in mind, since if yours is such a board you'd need to snag and program an EPROM too...

Reply 2 of 14, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I salvaged several EPROMS from dead socket 7 boards so this isn't a real big deal. Though are they electrically compatible ? My EPROMS chips have 4 more pins than the original PROM but the socket has some extra pins too

I'll try that but I'm not sure if that would work. If I enable the cache in the bios and that it's not populated I suppose that if the bios doesn't fake the bios the board won't start right ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 14, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you confirm that the original BIOS will not work properly with respect to L2 when cache is actually installed?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 4 of 14, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The jumpers on the board are se to 256k of cache and if I enable the cache in the bios, it says "256k cache installed" even though obviously, nothing at all is installed. I don't think it's able to autodetect the cache and enable it, but I might be wrong

Reply 5 of 14, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

The jumpers on the board are se to 256k of cache and if I enable the cache in the bios, it says "256k cache installed" even though obviously, nothing at all is installed. I don't think it's able to autodetect the cache and enable it, but I might be wrong

So does it use the cache if cache is actually installed (which I think is what feipoa is asking)? I mean, if it isn't able to autodetect cache, then it will go by whatever the jumper is set to, even if no cache is actually present in the sockets...

Reply 6 of 14, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is the same trick PC Chips did with the M919. I think that is just a silly string they added to the BIOS so that you always think there is real cache installed. On an M919, without the cache module, it says at POST that cache is installed. If you install the cache module, it also says cache is installed. With the cache installed, the cache does work as expected.

Reply 7 of 14, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see. Though I didn't do the mod at the moment, like I said, I only removed the fake cache chips. Now I need to salvage the sockets and the chips from another board

Reply 8 of 14, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can still buy the DIP sockets new, but you have to piece two together. It is not a big deal and you can simply butt up two DIP-16 sockets (assuming you are needing DIP-32 sockets). Or you can salvage.

Reply 9 of 14, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After ~2 hours of work of moving sockets to one motherboard to another (I previously removed the fake chips a long time ago), here's the finished product

lSDbnYFl.jpg

But the question is ... will it work ?

Well ... here's speedsys's answer :

2AqA1OFl.jpg

OH MY GOD ! I never thought it would really work, but apparently it does 😮

Thank you very munch for telling me this ^^

I have finally a 486 board that has works, have VLB and doesn't have flaws anymore (oh maybe one if I want to be picky : the PCB is really thin but if I leave it alone it shouldn't give me any issues)

Reply 10 of 14, by FesterBlatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well done!

Thin PCBs was just one side-effect of the motherboard manufacturers race to the bottom in an effort to sell them as cheap as possible. It's certainly not unique to your board, and shouldn't pose a problem.

Reply 11 of 14, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's just a small flaw to the bios but that's note a huge deal : the write-through/write-back toggle doesn't seem to have any effects unfortunately. I've not tried the write-back setting for the internal cache because I don't own any 486 that supports wb internal cache

Reply 12 of 14, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice work, although I would have used DIP-32 sockets. This way you can upgrade the cache to 512K or 1024K. Remember, the max RAM you can cache when the cache is in write-back mode is 32 MB.

How do you know the write-thru / write-back toggle has no effect? Use CPUMark99 in Windows 9x. Very few programs show much difference with L2 WB/WT, although CPUMark99 is very sensitive to this.

Reply 13 of 14, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Speedsys made a difference between wt and wb on my Aopen AP43 board and there it didn't change anything, so I don't think that this fonction does anything unfortunately.

I would have put dip-32 sockets if I had some, but I don't ^^

I'm not going to use this board with maxed out settings, I'm going to use my AP43 for that because the SiS chipset seems to be a bit faster than the UMC one. And also, I'm fine with 32 MB of ram, I don't think I'm going to really use more than that anyways

Reply 14 of 14, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recall Speedsys showing any speed difference between WB/WT on my UMC-based PC Chips m919 board, but CPUMark99 showed the difference.