VOGONS

First post, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got a Toshiba Satellite 220CDS laptop that won't turn on.
It does not have a battery. When connecting to the power adapter, the leftmost led, with a power cable icon turns on.
When the power button is pressed, the next led, with an "On" icon turns on, but the laptops screen does not show anything, the fan does not turn, no beeps, no HDD noise or led, and an external monitor does not turn on either.
The only indication I get is the "Caps Lock" led that blinks once, then twice and that's it.
I can hold the power button to turn the "On" led off. and if I press the reset button, I get the blinking Caps Lock again.

Ideas?

Reply 1 of 22, by bregolin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a similar experience with a Toshiba Tecra couple of years ago, but I gave up on trying to troubleshoot what the issue was and just thrased it.
Have you checked the service manual for it to see what the blinking lights mean? This could help indiciate where the issue is.

IBM Aptiva 2162 - P55 166 MMX, 32MB, CS4237B + Wavetable, ATI Mach64 2MB / Win98SE
Custom PIII 750, 64MB, SB AWE64, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP / Win98SE
Sony Vaio z505 SuperSlim - PIII 550, 192MB, YMF744, NeoMagic 256AV+ / Win98SE

Reply 2 of 22, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First open it up and check if the standby/bios battery has leaked and corroded the internals. Only if this hasn't happened yet or just a bit you can troubleshoot the unit further to get it working. If the battery inside leaked and sprayed its guts over the mainboard or any of the other boards then it is toast..

Reply 4 of 22, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nvm1 wrote:

First open it up and check if the standby/bios battery has leaked and corroded the internals. Only if this hasn't happened yet or just a bit you can troubleshoot the unit further to get it working. If the battery inside leaked and sprayed its guts over the mainboard or any of the other boards then it is toast..

Sadly you were right. Both of the internal batteries leaked. Although the damage to the board seems rather minimal, as the are located away from the board, but some green gunk got to it anyway.

Reply 5 of 22, by honeyz_a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
anetanel wrote on 2018-01-24, 22:39:
I got a Toshiba Satellite 220CDS laptop that won't turn on. It does not have a battery. When connecting to the power adapter, th […]
Show full quote

It does not have a battery. When connecting to the power adapter, the leftmost led, with a power cable icon turns on.
When the power button is pressed, the next led, with an "On" icon turns on, but the laptops screen does not show anything, the fan does not turn, no beeps, no HDD noise or led, and an external monitor does not turn on either.
The only indication I get is the "Caps Lock" led that blinks once, then twice and that's it.
I can hold the power button to turn the "On" led off. and if I press the reset button, I get the blinking Caps Lock again.

Ideas?

Hya, did you manage to fix this issue? I have exactely the same problem but I don't wanna give up on it!

Reply 6 of 22, by hegars

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
honeyz_a wrote on 2022-05-08, 18:42:
anetanel wrote on 2018-01-24, 22:39:
I got a Toshiba Satellite 220CDS laptop that won't turn on. It does not have a battery. When connecting to the power adapter, th […]
Show full quote

Ideas?

Hya, did you manage to fix this issue? I have exactely the same problem but I don't wanna give up on it!

I too have this exact issue on a 220CDS, getting the "A" capps lock blinking once then twice.

Reply 7 of 22, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recently I got my hands on a 220CS. Same problems as described above; the blinking caps-lock LED, two blinks - pause - one blink. Black screen.

I was thinking there might be a missing 12V power phase, if any? If I measure the pin at the arrow, it's reading about 12 Volts but immediately drops to 4 Volts. When I turn on the laptop, it drops to 0 Volts.

Also, the SMD capacitor looks kinda funky, like split in half, but it could be a protective coating of some sort. Maybe the culprit of these problems!

Attachments

• 12volts-maybe.jpg
    Filename
    12volts-maybe.jpg
    File size
    1.53 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • DSC_1845.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_1845.JPG
    File size
    1.05 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 8 of 22, by hegars

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PD2JK wrote on 2022-11-15, 12:58:

Recently I got my hands on a 220CS. Same problems as described above; the blinking caps-lock LED, two blinks - pause - one blink. Black screen.

I was thinking there might be a missing 12V power phase, if any? If I measure the pin at the arrow, it's reading about 12 Volts but immediately drops to 4 Volts. When I turn on the laptop, it drops to 0 Volts.

Also, the SMD capacitor looks kinda funky, like split in half, but it could be a protective coating of some sort. Maybe the culprit of these problems!

hmmm interesting, mine was clearly corroded, the via's are really quite bad, I have since acquired another 220cds that was in the early stages of battery corrosion and I'm using it for spare parts

I'll dig the main board out and look at the C656

Reply 10 of 22, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hegars wrote on 2022-11-16, 10:46:

Also does anyone have the bios update for the 220cds? "B220CDS.EXE" I have v6.6 flashed but I think the latest is v6.B0?

On Toshiba's site you still find the updates and drivers.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 11 of 22, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update: Desolderded this MOSFET.

15V on the Drain (from power supply). The Gate and Source are shorted. Abnormal behaviour I presume?

Attachments

• mosfet.png
    Filename
    mosfet.png
    File size
    499.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 12 of 22, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PD2JK wrote on 2022-11-17, 12:27:

Update: Desolderded this MOSFET.

15V on the Drain (from power supply). The Gate and Source are shorted. Abnormal behaviour I presume?

As you have the motherboard out, could you post high resolution pictures?
This may help other users as it is not so common to get them (you need your laptop to have issues 😀).

Reply 14 of 22, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Component may be a diode with pins 1&3 one side and 2&tab the other side. Photo of the 220CS board ( https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Toshi … board-91524.jpg ) looks to show the PCB shorts 1&3. Page 394 of this http://www.bitsavers.org/components/motorola/ … Device_Data.pdf gives a DPAK style 3 as 1&3 Anode and tab Cathode.

That said, I can't just find a datasheet for the part.

Reply 15 of 22, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Think you're right snufkin. The other identical parts are shorted on pin 1 & 3 as well. I'm really thinking of giving up on this one. This project is beginning to take too much time.

Reply 16 of 22, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thermalwrong wrote on 2022-11-17, 13:35:

There's some pretty impressive pictures on Wikipedia already: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:D … Satellite_220CS

Ok, I'm either incompetent at finding things or you are demi-god like stuff-finders here at Vogons.
😀

Reply 17 of 22, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've come across that person's laptop internal pictures a few times so have a bookmark for reference 😜 They've been handy for a couple of projects so far.

Reply 18 of 22, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PD2JK wrote on 2022-11-17, 13:50:

Think you're right snufkin. The other identical parts are shorted on pin 1 & 3 as well. I'm really thinking of giving up on this one. This project is beginning to take too much time.

Just in case it is one of those, you should be able to use the diode test on your meter, measuring between pin and tab. One way round should give no reading and the other way round should show the voltage drop across the diode when it starts to conduct. If you get conduction in both directions then it might point to a problem.

Reply 19 of 22, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The diodes are all fine. (Yes I thought they were FETs, when it said Dxxx on the silk screen, doh!)

I gave up and bought a 460CDT with a broken keyboard and missing HDD. The keyboard from the 220 should fit...

Hopefully someone will kick this thread with a solution in the future and solve this mystery.