Need for Speed 5: Porsche 2000/Unleashed

General information and assistance with dgVoodoo.

Need for Speed 5: Porsche 2000/Unleashed

Postby XJDHDR » 2018-6-14 @ 20:39

I would like to use this thread to report any problems I'm having getting Need for Speed: Porsche 2000 working with dgVoodoo. I'm trying to run the game on Windows 10 x64. If needed, you can download the NFS5: Porsche 2000 demo from here: https://archive.org/details/NeedForSpeedPorscheUnleashedDemo

Currently, I am having two problems with the game. The first is a regression. dgVoodoo v2.55 and 2.55.1 caused left mouse clicks to not register in the game's menu. v2.54 did not have this problem. To try explain what is going on, after I installed v2.55, the game did not register when I clicked on items in the game's menu if I simply click the mouse button without moving the mouse. The game only registers a click if I move the mouse while holding the left mouse button down. The click will then be registered wherever the mouse is pointing when I release the mouse button. v2.54 did not have this problem; the click was registered regardless of whether or not I moved the mouse after I press the LMB. The demo linked above demonstrates this same problem if you want to test.

The second problem I'm having is random crashes during loading screens. dgVoodoo is definitely helping in this regard as I think I've noticed less crashes with dgVoodoo installed than without. I am still having crashes in some areas though. I'll try to get more info the next time I get a reproducable crash.

I've attached the Voodoo config file I'm currently using.
Attachments
dgVoodoo.conf
(10.79 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
XJDHDR

Re: Need for Speed 5: Porsche 2000/Unleashed

Postby BMickey » 2018-6-15 @ 06:53

I'm confirming your click-problem issue on Win7 x64, it's just the same. I remember 2.54 behaved identically, but I will try again later.
I also have another problems here, e.g. do you have any problems with game menu? I have major slowdown in the menu, not usable at all. And I remember entering gameplay also resulted in some crashes (info for those not familiar with the game - it has 2 modes: menu 640x480 16bit and normal racing mode with resolution/color depth set by user).
In general I'm not using dgVoodoo2 for NFS5 (I tried many times) due to too many issues - for NFS5 I'm using another amazing tool DxWnd (https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/), thanks to ghotik.
BMickey

Re: Need for Speed 5: Porsche 2000/Unleashed

Postby XJDHDR » 2018-6-23 @ 03:07

I somehow missed the release of dgVoodoo v2.55.2. Unfortunately, that version still has the same left click bug I mentioned in my first post.

Also, I can confirm that dgVoodoo is definitely helping with crashes. Without dgVoodoo installed, the game locks up at the start of the loading screen as soon as I try to enter a race. With dgVoodoo, the race loads up. I haven't managed to find a reproducible crash yet with dgVoodoo installed but I'll report back once I do.

BMickey wrote:I'm confirming your click-problem issue on Win7 x64, it's just the same. I remember 2.54 behaved identically, but I will try again later.
I also have another problems here, e.g. do you have any problems with game menu? I have major slowdown in the menu, not usable at all.

Now that you mention it, I do have performance issues in the game menu. I think it's mainly when I'm pointing at buttons or things that I can click on. The worst offender is the volume sliders; the menu slows to a crawl while I'm dragging one of them. It's not unusable though but then again, I do have a powerful PC so that may be helping.

Also, did you manage to re-test with 2.54? I just re-tested to make sure and 2.54 is definitely the last version that doesn't have that left click problem I mentioned.

BMickey wrote:And I remember entering gameplay also resulted in some crashes (info for those not familiar with the game - it has 2 modes: menu 640x480 16bit and normal racing mode with resolution/color depth set by user).

Thanks for providing that extra info. I have been having those same crashes. As I mentioned in my first post, they occur constantly without dgVoodoo whereas they don't without it. I'm currently playing through the Test Driver storyline to try get a reproducible crash with dgVoodoo installed. I remember that the first mission that takes place on Zone Industriale crashes during the loading screen even with dgVoodoo installed with my last save.

BMickey wrote:In general I'm not using dgVoodoo2 for NFS5 (I tried many times) due to too many issues - for NFS5 I'm using another amazing tool DxWnd (https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/), thanks to ghotik.

Would you be able to tell me what settings you are using? I tried using DxWnd's default profile for NFS5 but it did not work at all. It would not even put the game in Windowed mode, even when running DxWnd with Admin privileges.
XJDHDR

Return to dgVoodoo General