VOGONS

Gotek floppy emulator colours?

Topic actions

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recently purchased my first Gotek floppy emulator, thinking it would be fun to play with and install in one of my systems. It was listed as white and looked white in the photos, but what came is a grey unit. Are they all grey, or did some have beige or white bezels?

I cannot imagine why they would be this shade of grey because it would match so few desktop computers. See photos.

Gotek_colour_1.jpg
Filename
Gotek_colour_1.jpg
File size
240.14 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Gotek_colour_2.jpg
Filename
Gotek_colour_2.jpg
File size
335.53 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 2 of 27, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have ordered "white" and received both gray and light beige units. When dealing with the chinese sellers, you never know what you're going to get. So yes, both gray and light beige do exist. I have yet to receive an actual stark white one yet.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 3 of 27, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Beige is what I'm after. If anyone knows of a reliable beige source, please let me know. I definitely won't be installing a grey unit into any beige computer.

Reply 4 of 27, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm guessing grey has been popular due to their use in industrial applications and embedded devices.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 27, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mine are both grey. Only hook them up when needed for an install, do not have them in a permanent system.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 6 of 27, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You'd think that black would be just as suitable in an industrial setting. Unfortunately, I don't think painting these won't hold all that well. I guess I'll just use it on a test bed.

Reply 7 of 27, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nah, black is more for those old disk based MIDI sequencers. Grey is good for industrial because it hides dust better.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 27, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had exactly the same problem, ordered white from a couple of different places but always turned up grey. As mentioned they're pretty easy to paint but that's no fun.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 11 of 27, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a few metal case covers that I need to paint as well. Anyone have a North American rattle can recommendation for 2-tone speckled beige (metal case) and 1-tone beige (Gotek)?

Reply 12 of 27, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
meljor wrote:

Mine are both grey. Only hook them up when needed for an install, do not have them in a permanent system.

Why not have it in a permanent system?

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 13 of 27, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Because I am fussy about colour matching bezels to within some threshold. Refer to the above photo for my threshold. That's just me. Maybe its OK for you.

Reply 14 of 27, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

Because I am fussy about colour matching bezels to within some threshold. Refer to the above photo for my threshold. That's just me. Maybe its OK for you.

I am too, it's a curse. Something that I thought about when I was trying to get my Gotek looking presentable was sticking it inside a 5 1/4 drive bay contraption of some sort - something you'd use for a HDD or even one of those simple drawers you see on eBay sometimes. Even if the colour of the Gotek matches perfectly they still don't look period correct.

Anyway, in the end though I just got an external facing IDE->CF adapter working and use that for transferring files.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 15 of 27, by mdog69

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

I have a few metal case covers that I need to paint as well. Anyone have a North American rattle can recommendation for 2-tone speckled beige (metal case) and 1-tone beige (Gotek)?

Nobody (other than Bill Gates when he got his first AMC Pacer 🤣) would drive a car painted PC beige.

If you want the speckled look, it's down to the surface, not the colour - spray some auto high build primer into a cup, and then use a toothpick, or a pop rivet to dab spots of primer on the case to create the raised speckled effect on the case.
Then spray a top coat with whatever colour you want.

As far as colour is concerned, you either need the Pantone or RAL number, or the easiest approach - take the metal case (or the Gotek itself!) to a paintshop and ask them to make up a rattlecan to match.
Don't ask me how much it would cost, never done it myself on this side of the pond, I'm not that much of a perfectionist.

/md

Reply 16 of 27, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know there are 2-tone single can rattle cans - I have bought some in silver to spray my dumb bells with. I was hoping for something simple like this in beige.

Reply 17 of 27, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I guess this is as good a place to ask as any. What is the closest RAL color code to a computer case beige? This thread got under my skin, I must now buy a spray can and paint my gotek to a more appropriate color. I may even do the OLED mod while I'm at it..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 18 of 27, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Windows9566 wrote:
meljor wrote:

Why not have it in a permanent system?

Because I like them and use them a lot but have only 2 Goteks and much more systems.. 🤣 Also for testing boards and stuff it is just easy to grab a Gotek instead of booting from a floppy and hoping it still works.... (had a lot of old boot floppies die on me).

But maybe try building a Gotek into an old cdrom drive? Just using a front of a player with a door that has those springs, which gets kicked down by the actual cd drawer. Easy acces but you can't see it if you don't want to 😎
Or much cooler: extend a front usb port to the Gotek usb port (living somewhere in the case out of sight) and use a case led display and extend that too..and the buttons.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 19 of 27, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

Look for Rustoleum "Shell White." That's about the damned closest I could get to that "vintage" generic case beige.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/con … c=Shell%20White