I forgor about that one, even posted in the thread

Reply 241 of 274, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-09-26, 15:16:

Wow!

But, it looks very convoluted to me. Isn't there any simple ready to use box or something?

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 242 of 274, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

click to receive bacon https://www.serdashop.com/PS2TOSERIAL requires usb power supply with micro usb, like old phone charger

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 243 of 274, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-09-26, 16:12:

click to receive bacon https://www.serdashop.com/PS2TOSERIAL requires usb power supply with micro usb, like old phone charger

Thanks so much!

about power supply: which I can draw with a simple Molex-to-USB (female A-type) power adapter cable, to which then plug a male USB A to male Micro USB cable, am I correct?

Reply 244 of 274, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can wire 5V power straight from molex to J1 connector pins 2-VCC and 6-GND instead of USB cable with two converters 😀

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 245 of 274, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-09-26, 17:25:

You can wire 5V power straight from molex to J1 connector pins 2-VCC and 6-GND instead of USB cable with two converters 😀

Oh 🤣
Well, I never did such a thing...

Reply 246 of 274, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While I haven't tested all of these serial port to PS/2, or USB adaptors, I've tested about 6 of them and everyone one of them had trouble with mouse pointer, or tracking lag thru my KVM, getting worse at higher resolutions. Rio444's PS/2-serial emulator card was the first which had no noticeable lag. If you aren't going thru a KVM, maybe these other adaptors will work well enough. But if you are, be advised that the first link Rasz posted, contains this message:

Support for use on KVMs has been added as of version 1.1.1. It works fine on my one, startech branded, KVM that I have test with. Given that TinyUSB is a bit picky, your results may vary.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 247 of 274, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote on 2023-09-26, 21:22:

While I haven't tested all of these serial port to PS/2, or USB adaptors, I've tested about 6 of them and everyone one of them had trouble with mouse pointer, or tracking lag thru my KVM, getting worse at higher resolutions. Rio444's PS/2-serial emulator card was the first which had no noticeable lag. If you aren't going thru a KVM, maybe these other adaptors will work well enough. But if you are, be advised that the first link Rasz posted, contains this message:

Support for use on KVMs has been added as of version 1.1.1. It works fine on my one, startech branded, KVM that I have test with. Given that TinyUSB is a bit picky, your results may vary.

oh got it, thanks! I definitely plan to use KVMs

Reply 248 of 274, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-26, 11:53:
Roman (the creator of this project) just specified what follows: […]
Show full quote
copper wrote on 2023-09-26, 11:28:

Yes, please send me the files by PM.

I can't estimate the cost until I put everything together but it doesn't seem like it will be crazy.

I'm in the US. The boards are small; they should ship cheaply enough.

Roman (the creator of this project) just specified what follows:

"No need to forward this to everyone on the forum. Otherwise device will appear on eBay soon. There are people who get rich from other people's developments. I am passing on this documentation on the condition that you will make the device only for yourself and will not sell it on international trading platforms, like eBay.
I wrote about this earlier on the forum.
"

Please, confirm the reception of and agreement to the above.

Thank you!

This sounds to me like any form of batch assembly and distribution would be in contravention to the creator's wishes. Assemble a unit just for yourself.

Reply 249 of 274, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote on 2023-09-27, 07:15:

This sounds to me like any form of batch assembly and distribution would be in contravention to the creator's wishes. Assemble a unit just for yourself.

It might seem so, but he also refers to his comment in the forum where he specifies his wishes more clearly. The comment is on page 11 of this Thread, and states:

"Please note that I consent only to the non-commercial use of these materials. You can make devices for yourself, your friends, maybe sell some surplus on the local market, but nothing more."

Direct link here:
Re: Another PS/2 Mouse ISA (ISA8) card adapter

Indeed, when I emailed him what is going on and what Copper intends to do, he was okay with that.

But thanks for your concern though!

Reply 250 of 274, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK, excellent. I thought maybe he changed course on his wishes, making them stricter, based on the more recent comments you provided. However, if at present, he referred you to his earlier forum comments on page 11, then it does sound like some small batch production for friends is permitted. In which case, whomever decides to make a batch of these, I'll take 1 unit (pending cost analysis).

Reply 251 of 274, by dm-

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 13.20.59.png
Filename
Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 13.20.59.png
File size
93.77 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Author selling his cards on RU e-platform. got one this summer, works nice in my 486 rig.

Reply 252 of 274, by Jester

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It looks easy to print the boards using the gerber file. Ordering the parts in the BOM and assembling will take some soldering skill.

7352D352-D1EA-457A-B413-9DBACD17DE23.png
Filename
7352D352-D1EA-457A-B413-9DBACD17DE23.png
File size
234.93 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

https://cart.jlcpcb.com/quote

7CE5D1D2-0A22-43EF-B8A8-704FC3CFE67B.png
Filename
7CE5D1D2-0A22-43EF-B8A8-704FC3CFE67B.png
File size
128.64 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 253 of 274, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you can skip ENIG, fingers should use hard gold which jlcpcb cant do, ENIG will just rub off after couple insertions so is useless and no better than normal HASL finish

Reply 255 of 274, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

jlcpcb cant do proper gold fingers, only typical Chinese fake 'good enough' but in reality not good enough ENIG. You are paying $15 for the color, not the actually usefull property of real gold fingers (being hard and corrosion proof)

Reply 257 of 274, by Many Bothans

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Kudos to Rio444 on this brilliant project. Just unfortunate timing to source for the community.

Has anyone had any luck recreating the card with BOM/Gerber yet? (@Copper?)

RetroRig: AOpen AP43, AMD 5x86-133, 512k L2, 128MB FPM, Diamond Stealth III S540 32MB Savage4, Soundblaster AWE32 w/ 16MB

Reply 258 of 274, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

sorry, I added a reply so made a new reply below

Last edited by aries-mu on 2023-11-12, 11:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 259 of 274, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
copper wrote on 2023-09-26, 11:13:
aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-26, 10:59:

If somebody comes up, then I'll forward the files.

I'd love to try to build these things for the Vogons members. I need two of them myself.

Upping this. Any news?

Also, I was wondering, what if on such old PCs one actually connects the PS/2 mouse (instead of the keyboard) to the 5-DIN connector via a simple 5-DIN to PS/2 adapter, and then finds another way to connect the keyboard somehow? Perhaps via serial port... Would that be a problem? Would the keyboard get an input lag? Would the keyboard be lagged on a KVM serial switch?