VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has anyone been successful or unsuccessful running Windows NT 4.0 on a DLC/SXL/DRx2 CPU? According to online information, NT4 requires a 486, I presume for the instruction set.

I have an SXL2-66 system and cloned the HDD from a true 486 system with NT4/W95 on it. On the SXL2-66 system, NT4 boots to the desktop when I try to open the Control Panel, nothing happens. If I boot in VGA mode, I just see a black screen, so I am booting in regular mode.

If someone has had success with this, I'll invest the time in doing a proper full install of NT4. If not, then I'll pass.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 28, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you check usenet?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 28, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Did you check usenet?

I think they call it google groups these days.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 4 of 28, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

No. Google Groups is just an archive of old usenet posts (like archive.org is for websites). Usenet is an internet service like www, ftp, irc, etc. Google has nothing to do with that.

Well I would never have thought..........

Please note the sarcasm in case you missed it 😀

My understanding is that google groups archives all usenet posts. "Google began archiving Usenet posts for itself starting in the second week of August 2000."

Worth reading https://www.quora.com/Is-Usenet-dead

Anway the cool dudes use irc :p

I did a search for the OP but no matching results. Neither were there on DuckDuckGo or Bing. Zip on google as well. Those Cyrix DLC class chips were a bit odd. NT 3.51 might work. It'll be interesting to see how the OP gets on. I'd try it with my DLC but have no survicable 386 class mobos available unfortunately.

Windows NT minimum hardware requirements

Windows version CPU RAM Free disk space

NT 3.1 i386, 25 MHz 12 MB 90 MB
NT 3.1 Advanced Server i386, 25 MHz 16 MB 90 MB
NT 3.5 Workstation i386, 25 MHz 12 MB 90 MB
NT 3.5 Server i386, 25 MHz 16 MB 90 MB
NT 3.51 Workstation i386, 25 MHz 12 MB 90 MB
NT 3.51 Server i386, 25 MHz 16 MB 90 MB

NT 4.0 Workstation i486, 25 MHz 12 MB 124 MB
NT 4.0 Server i486, 25 MHz 16 MB 124 MB

Apart from the change in Ui NT 3.51 and NT4 are much the same as far as internals go.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2019-09-03, 06:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 28, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote:

Apart from the change in Ui NT 3.51 and NT4 are much the same as far as internals go.

And apparently there is a NT4 shell for NT 3.51. Still, my interest is in NT4 for curiosity, but the foremost issue is getting the Cyrix.exe cache software (and ps2suppc) loaded first, otherwise my SXL2-66 will perform like an ordinary cacheless 386 at 33 MHz. I am surprised that there isn't much information on this software and hardware combination. Were there more hits for NT 3.51 + DLC/SXL/DRx2 rather than for the NT4 combination?

Last edited by feipoa on 2019-09-03, 06:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 28, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No positive results at all I'm afraid. Turning on the speed doubling is the issue. You could may be able to have a dos fat16 partition, boot to it in Dos then enable clock doubling and caching then run NT. Have an extended partition for NTFS. I know it is possible to do similar with OS/2. The PS/2 mouse port shouldn't be an issue NT should pick that up.

Using a small fat16 partition to boot strap NT on MIPs and Alpha systems was the way things were done in the early NT days iirc.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2019-09-03, 07:00. Edited 7 times in total.

Reply 7 of 28, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Or even just enabling the L1 cache. Most old motherboards didn't have L1 cache support for the DLC.

Reply 9 of 28, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The challenge is getting your L1 cache and 2x mode enabled properly, which is done in DOS. See this other post for some ideas, Any way to run a DOS TSR program before loading Windows NT 4.0?

Reply 10 of 28, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you see my message about GRUB for DOS? I believe you can use that to boot NT4 from a DOS prompt.

Reply 11 of 28, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

The challenge is getting your L1 cache and 2x mode enabled properly, which is done in DOS. See this other post for some ideas, Any way to run a DOS TSR program before loading Windows NT 4.0?

I plan on using DRx2 or BL.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 12 of 28, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup.
Re: Any way to run a DOS TSR program before loading Windows NT 4.0?

feipoa wrote:
User Anonymous Coward mentioned using GRUB for DOS. Then load GRUB from the DOS prompt to load NT4. This way I can run ps2suppc […]
Show full quote

User Anonymous Coward mentioned using GRUB for DOS. Then load GRUB from the DOS prompt to load NT4. This way I can run ps2suppc.com and cyrix.exe

http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/nix/disk/ … fo/ar01s03.html

2.3 Starting GRUB for DOS from DOS 
You can use load GRUB for DOS in config.sys using one of the following lines:

DEVICE=GRUB.EXE
INSTALL=GRUB.EXE
SHELL=GRUB.EXE
grub.exe can also be launched from DOS prompt or batch file such as AUTOEXEC.BAT.

As this seems like it would require the least amount of effort, it is the GRUB is the first idea I intend to try. But first, I want to ensure I can install Win95c on my SXL2-66. If Win95 doesn't work, NT4 probably won't work. I have one of those SCSI2SD devices in this system. It has a 64 GB SD card in it and I can set it up such that there are numerous physical HDD's on it with different SCSI ID's. So my SCSI ID1 is an 8 GB drive, which has a 2 GB FAT partition for DOS/Windows, and a 2 GB FAT partition for storage. I could create another 2 GB partition, but I think you can only have one primary partition. So I am going to create another 8 GB hard drive on SCSI2SD using ID2, while disabling ID1. I want Win95c to be on a single 8 GB FAT32 partition. This is my goal for this evening.

Reply 13 of 28, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kixs wrote:
feipoa wrote:

I plan on using DRx2 or BL.

But the DRx2 already has the flush circuit and 2x enabled, so it is a lot less of a challenge. Looking forward to your results.

Reply 14 of 28, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is what I mean with SCSI2SD. It can create up to 7 HDD's from a single microSD card.

SCSI2SD_SXL2.jpg
Filename
SCSI2SD_SXL2.jpg
File size
138.32 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

W95c installing so far so good.

SXL2-W95c_installation.jpg
Filename
File size
1.84 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 15 of 28, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 95C works quite well on both 386DX-40 and 486DLC-40. (I did install it for the Cpu-Z improvement contribution)

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 16 of 28, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

That's a pretty sweet dark grey CD-ROM drive. What's up with the 5.25" FDD though? Why not move it up a panel?

Reply 17 of 28, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

Or even just enabling the L1 cache. Most old motherboards didn't have L1 cache support for the DLC.

I had a similar issues in '96 when I needed to initialize a sound card in DOS to make it work in NT4.
What I did was to install DOS then NT4, so that both OS appear in the bootmenu.
In DOS I use some config with QEMM386 that has the QuickBoot feature. I run the DOS tools and do a warmstart. Due to QuickBoot the computer does not enter the BIOS but directly the NT4 bootmenu. Now I change to NT4 bootup and it uses the already configured state.

Edit: Just seen the posts about GRUB, which can do the same job but more convenient.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 18 of 28, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Like the QuikBoot idea. I've had a copy of QEM386 for ever an never had a real excuse to try it.

Reply 19 of 28, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GigAHerZ wrote:

Windows 95C works quite well on both 386DX-40 and 486DLC-40. (I did install it for the Cpu-Z improvement contribution)

You were able to run CPU-Z on Win95c and a 386DX? I got a blue screen with SXL2/Win95c and CPU-Z. Re: Need help to improve the support of 486/586/686 class CPUs in CPU-Z