VOGONS

Reply 40 of 53, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
Caluser2000 wrote:

What kernel was that gdjacobs?

An RT build of 4.19. As I said, it's a chroot.

I was going to load Arena, but your webserver must use a version of HTTP that's too new for it. I'll see if I can find a viable copy of NCSA Mosaic.

Something is probably wrong on your end. The mTCP HTTP Server supports HTTP 0.9, 1.0, and 1.1 . Calling 0.9 a "protocol" is a stretch; it's the same as just using Telnet to connect to the port and using GET /filename followed by a CR/LF pair.

If your browser can send "GET /" followed by a CR/LF pair (as per the spec) it should work against the mTCP HTTP Server. (Or any other 0.9 compatible server.)

gdajacobs: Can you provide a to Arena so that I can try to set it up here? I want to see what's going wrong ...

Reply 41 of 53, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was getting some red lines marked "BUG" in the log from time to time. Maybe one of those was gdjacobs' attempt.

EDIT: Got some recently... timestamp 10:41:36 (US Mountain Time), "Parse error on HTTP req 400 -- Bug: HTTP response not tracked in stats"
Another edit: gdjacobs is your IP 5x.xxx.xx.x7?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 42 of 53, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mbbrutman wrote:
Something is probably wrong on your end. The mTCP HTTP Server supports HTTP 0.9, 1.0, and 1.1 . Calling 0.9 a "protocol" is a […]
Show full quote
gdjacobs wrote:
Caluser2000 wrote:

What kernel was that gdjacobs?

An RT build of 4.19. As I said, it's a chroot.

I was going to load Arena, but your webserver must use a version of HTTP that's too new for it. I'll see if I can find a viable copy of NCSA Mosaic.

Something is probably wrong on your end. The mTCP HTTP Server supports HTTP 0.9, 1.0, and 1.1 . Calling 0.9 a "protocol" is a stretch; it's the same as just using Telnet to connect to the port and using GET /filename followed by a CR/LF pair.

If your browser can send "GET /" followed by a CR/LF pair (as per the spec) it should work against the mTCP HTTP Server. (Or any other 0.9 compatible server.)

gdajacobs: Can you provide a to Arena so that I can try to set it up here? I want to see what's going wrong ...

It's just the bog standard version included with Debian 2.2. I'll see about spinning up a VM with public access as well as doing some fiddling on my end.

Well, here's the result. I've included a debug trace if you're interested.
2brAld0.png

Granted, Arena isn't exactly the gold standard for web interoperability anymore, although it doesn't appear to be completely broken.
37rVwHA.png

In the end, though, I'm not too worried about it. Let me know if you'd like more information.

Attachments

• Filename
    arena.log
    File size
    59.75 KiB
    Downloads
    38 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 43 of 53, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I looked at the log but it didn't give me anything useful. I can see a 400 error, but I can't tell if that came from the mTCP web server or if that is an error being generated internally by the browser.

In particular I want to see the actual request that it sends. I can get that if the web server has the debug tracing turned on, but that's going to require some coordination. Based on the timeframe for Arena it is probably using HTTP 1.0. I might have a bug there; almost all browsers use 1.1 now so 1.0 is not as well tested as 1.0.

I downloaded the source code but there is no way it's going to build on toolchain that is 20 years newer. It makes more sense to try to get a packet trace from the mTCP side. Is this something I can convince both of you to help me with?

Reply 44 of 53, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mbbrutman wrote:

Is this something I can convince both of you to help me with?

Yeah, I’m interested. PM me with the deets or maybe it’s better to start a new thread or something... catch me in 10 hours after I have slept 🤣

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 46 of 53, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mbbrutman wrote:

On second thought I will set up the web server on the PCjr; I will ping you back later this week when it is ready so we can get a good trace.

KK. I can get you that request, no problem. Just give me a time window, preferably after 2300Z. If you have a means of IRC or similar, we can coordinate in real time when you're ready.

Alternately, I can stand up a web server on my DOS machine and log a request for you. Which do you prefer?

Reply 47 of 53, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just to follow up - gdjacobs hit my PCjr at the perfect time and I was able to catch the offending request. The incoming request from Arena was over 1KB in size just for the request; the header where it says what it will accept was extremely long and full of obsolete file types/associations that no longer exist. (Think RealNetworks ...)

mTCP protects against long requests like that; it reads up to a certain point and then just gives up. I can increase the maximum size to 2 or even 4KB, but I suspect that Arena is sending something huge and verbose and that even 4KB won't be enough to buffer it.

Interesting!

Reply 48 of 53, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Was Arena quite a popular *nix browser way back?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 50 of 53, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote:

Was Arena quite a popular *nix browser way back?

Absolutely not. It was the technology test platform the W3C used prior to HTML4 coming out (when they switched to Amaya).

Reply 51 of 53, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:

Popular.. and Linux. Pick one.

You should come visit some time. I'll miss you on #vc after glitchs little paddy. Say hi to Emily for me I'm working on that PC Geos packer driver thing. Live goes on....😀

Reply 52 of 53, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Time Period: 1993-1995

Specs:
Motherboard - PCchips 918i ( Socket-3 )
Chipset - ALI
CPU - AMD5x86-133 P75(ADW) OverClocked @ 160mhz.
Cache - 256kb.
RAM - 64mb EDO
Graphics - Number9 ( S3 Vision 968 chip ) PCI.
Audio - Media Vision Pro Audio Spectrum PAS16P.
Network - Netgear FA310 PCI ( Digital Chip ).
Hard-drive - 8gb. CF card - Sandisk Extreme.
CDROM - Toshiba IDE 24x
Case - MT-747e AT case from 1990's

All drivers where included in Win95b and worked with default installation.
Only the browser was upgraded. I.E. 5.5

It could have posted at 133mhz too and 16mb ram.

My Macintosh with 16mhz CPU and 8mb of ram can go online too with Netscape 3.0
But NOT posts to Vogons.

Any 486 with 8mb of ram and Netscape 3.0 can go online.

AMD 5x86@160mhz., Media Vision PAS16. ( Win 95 )

Reply 53 of 53, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Been trying to get Opera 3.62 to play nice on my 386DX33 system running Wfw 3.11 with 8megs of ram. Seems to connect OK and I login no problem. A few Exception Errors and slower than a snail crossing the street appears to be standard fair.I'll give some older browser a shot like DEC Mosiac 1 / 2 and IE3 a shot to see what happens. The 286/12 and Arachne are for sure a better performers. I'll also see if I have some higher 32 pin SIMMS to boost the 'ol girl up a bit maybe even fit a Cyrix 486DCL33 chip in to see how that goes.