VOGONS

For V2: K6-2 500 or celeron 500 ?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, there is no setmul possible. Only with the mobile variants K6-2+ or K6-3+ this feature is supported.

I don't see any reason to replace the Riva128 or RivaTNT2 with a S3 VirgeGX2. Is there really a need of "S3D API game" ?
The nvidia cards are even faster, when using the AGP card API.
Also this is definite an important point between these cards:

Riva128 - RAMDAC: 230MHz
Riva TNT2 - RAMDAC: 300MHz
S3 VirgeGX2 - RAMDAC: 170Mhz

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 21 of 25, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
melbar wrote:

No, there is no setmul possible. Only with the mobile variants K6-2+ or K6-3+ this feature is supported.

You can manipulate L1 cache only.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 22 of 25, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, i forgot that.
But then you can only play with one parameter, not with two in DOS. So, reboot into BIOS is quick and i don't need this tool.

The only feature i like..., would be to change the multiplier when system is running, without open the system and reconfigure the jumper.
And then you need the "+" cpu's again...

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 23 of 25, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
melbar wrote:
Ok, i forgot that. But then you can only play with one parameter, not with two in DOS. So, reboot into BIOS is quick and i don' […]
Show full quote

Ok, i forgot that.
But then you can only play with one parameter, not with two in DOS. So, reboot into BIOS is quick and i don't need this tool.

The only feature i like..., would be to change the multiplier when system is running, without open the system and reconfigure the jumper.

Then get the + CPU. Is there a reason you don't want one?
The reason for the S3 GX2 is for DOS compatibility.
It's not that fast, but it's highly compatible with just about all DOS games.

I would make a second computer for the Windows 98 and higher 3D games based around a Socket A or S370 motherboard, and go full ham with a 9800XT

Reply 24 of 25, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
melbar wrote:
Ok, i forgot that. But then you can only play with one parameter, not with two in DOS. So, reboot into BIOS is quick and i don' […]
Show full quote

Ok, i forgot that.

For my PMMX, I have FSB and multi on toggle switches. It does require a reboot, but I don't have to open my case.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 25 of 25, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DNSDies wrote:

Then get the + CPU. Is there a reason you don't want one?

Now they are expensive. Sure, it depends where you live and how is market there about K6-2+ and K6-3+.
I am watching the prices over two to three years now, and what i see in Europe they are rare now. In the US you have maybe more.
I remember, there was a seller in my country who had a lot of them for around 25€.

The last years i have bought several retro cpu's, sometimes as a spare part or sometimes as bundle, but i've never paid 30€ for a single old cpu.
For example the K6-2 in my setup now, it costs ~11€ as bundle with the MVP3 board.

Personally now, i would like to pay again 5€ or maybe 10€ but not 40€ or 50€. I know these cpu's are collector items now, but it remains to everybody himself to buy these cpu's for that money or not.