VOGONS

First post, by Pravnuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just bought a 486 with a Tulip PC40 motherboard and a (dead) Tulip Power Supply. When I bought a new AT power supply, it seems like the color of the cables does not match, as shown in image below.

AT.jpg

In the top part of the image is the color layout of the dead power supply (labeled P1 and P2), and in the lower part is the color layout of the "new" supply (labeled P8 and P9). Anyone know if they are compatible or if I have to rearrange the cables on the new supply to match the color codes of the original Tulip supply?

Reply 1 of 15, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks weird...

The bottom pic has the normal AT P8/P9 layout, so that's not the problem.

Trying to find information on the system, but Tulip "PC40" doesn't ring up hits. Could is perhaps be a Vision Line DC? A pic of the system - and of the motherboard, specifically of the area around the power connector - could help.

Assuming we can't find any more documentation, you can figure out the pinout by testing for continuity between points of known voltage on the motherboard and the pins of the PSU connector. An ISA slot would be the obvious place to find +12V, -12V and -5V; you can find +5V and GND all over the place.

See here for the ISA pin assignment:
https://old.pinouts.ru/Slots/ISA_pinout.shtml

Reply 3 of 15, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need to make measurements on the PSU pins of the mainboard.
Look for
+5V
-5V
+12V
-12V
GND
The orange wire is probably the power good signal.
Once you are done rewire the new PSU according to your measurements.

Edit:
Little pinout help:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/common … SA_Bus_pins.png

Reply 4 of 15, by Pravnuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you, so I just check continuity between the specified pins on the ISA slot and power connector?
It seems like "Blue" on the Tulip PSU corresponds to "Yellow" on a regular AT, since the 12V pin on the Molex connectors are Blue. That is a good sign, since they are flipped on the P1/P8 connector.

Reply 5 of 15, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pravnuk wrote:

Thank you, so I just check continuity between the specified pins on the ISA slot and power connector?.

Yes. Proprietary connectors have weird colors sometimes but ISA pinouts never lie.

Reply 7 of 15, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like the same system as this one: Dutch members: Tulip Vision Line dt 4/66 (486) CPU jumper help?. There are some manuals and more info in that topic.

You might want to check the jumper settings: https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/T/T … S-486-TC40.html

1982 to 2001

Reply 8 of 15, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Contrary to popular belief, PSU wire colors have never been more than a recommendation in any official standard I've ever seen, and that's probably all of them.
The wire color schemes commonly seen are an unofficial convention, not an official standard.

Manufacturers can use any colors they want and still be in compliance with the standard as long as the voltages and functions are correct for the wire positions in the connectors.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2019-11-29, 20:07. Edited 1 time in total.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 13 of 15, by Pravnuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There we go!!

Tulip-TC40-bootup.jpg

Viatel.jpg

The form factor of this computer is quite interesting. No 5.25 slot. It was assembled in Sweden and came with a huge modem card. According to their website, ViaTel was founded in 1992 as a telecommunication company. I'll send them an email and see if they can supply some history about the computer.

Thanks guys!