VOGONS

First post, by foxyroxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone. Firstly, I do apologise for my first post asking for help.

What I am trying to achieve:
I have a Pentium 3 build that boots DOS 6.22 / Windows 3.11, Windows 98 and XP and I am trying to get a sound card that works under all of these operating systems.

My problem:
The Ensoniq ES1370 card's "initialization driver" for DOS hangs on start up.

What I have tried:
The card works under Windows 3.11 perfectly. In the driver control panel I can see that it is using PCI Port: c000 and IRQ: 7. These appear when the DOS driver tries to load before hanging.
I have made sure that the Sound Blaster Emulation Port, IRQ and DMA all match in the Windows control panel, the SNDSCAPE.INI file under c:\eapci and in INITAP.BAT. These settings are 220, 5 and 1. There are no other devices using this IRQ but I have tried it on 7 with the same result. Moving the card to another PCI slot gave it the IRQ of 10 which Windows 3.11 was happy with this and automatically detected the change but DOS still hangs.
I updated the DOS4GW run-time that comes with the driver to 1.97 and added the D=64 switch to the EMM386 line in config.sys, as per Re: PCI Sound card for Windows 3.XX & Dos 6.2X

Machine specs:
Pentium 3 Coppermine 1GHz, 512MB RAM, Gigabyte GA-6OXM7E with Intel 815E chipset. Probably doesn't matter but the video card is an AGP TNT2 and the machine multiboots with System Commander.
The sound card has the Ensoniq brand silk screened onto the board but the chip is marked as Creative (ES1370).

Additionally:
I have a Sound Blaster Live which uses a very similar DOS SB emulation driver as the Ensoniq albeit a couple of years newer going by the copyright date and it works perfectly. This would have been a great option if there were any Windows 3.11 drivers available.

If anyone could help I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks

Reply 1 of 2, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You loading any other drivers? I think I remember back in the late 90's my 100MB NIC would cause dos to hang.

You could also try testing with booting into dos mode in Win98 and see if it's a dos 6 specific issue?

Reply 2 of 2, by foxyroxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I left it not working and booted up today and it works fine. Either I'm going crazy or I've got some sort of weird hardware issue- my guess is on the former.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway.