VOGONS

Reply 21 of 45, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kjliew wrote on 2020-03-08, 05:16:
Well, I do have something better under my sleeve :D - MESA pass-through for OpenGL. See Intel Graphics UHD 515 in action on GNOM […]
Show full quote

Well, I do have something better under my sleeve 😁 - MESA pass-through for OpenGL.
See Intel Graphics UHD 515 in action on GNOME/Wayland, Quake3 167FPS, all from a petty, fan-less ultrabook. While I benched it at 1024x768, it is typically less then 2% variation in *ANY* resolution up to 1600x1200. I don't have 4K or 8K panel to test higher resolutions.
MESAGL.png

Inspired by BoxedWine OpenGL pass-through, I embarked on yet another undertaking to implement OpenGL pass-through based on MESA implementation. This addresses the lacking of modern Glide wrappers such as dgVoodoo2 on Linux for games that do not work with OpenGlide (even with my recent contribution of Glide3x wrapper) but also support OpenGL.

Serious Sam TFE at 60FPS, probably capped by V-SYNC.
SeriousSamTFE.png
Homeworld, host running MESA Gallium iris driver with HUD, perfect graphics and completely playable.
Homeworld.png
All with 32-bit color and full 32-bit highres textures.
Unlike QEMU native virgil3D/virtio-gpu OpenGL pass-through, my pass-through implementation also works for Windows 10 host from Wndows guest OS's. It makes use of the concept of standalone OpenGL ICD, similar to 3Dfx OpenGL ICD for Voodoo/Voodoo2 for full-screen rendering. When sufficient OpenGL capabilities are available, hopefully they will provide the fundamentals for Direct3D emulation with WineD3D.

Okay, I am confused. Are the games running within a Linux guest VM hosted on a Linux machine via QEMU/KVM? Or a Linux guest VM on a Windows host via QEMU-whpx?

Reply 22 of 45, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ragefury32 wrote on 2020-03-09, 16:31:

Are the games running within a Linux guest VM hosted on a Linux machine via QEMU/KVM? Or a Linux guest VM on a Windows host via QEMU-whpx?

QEMU KVM/WHPX running Windows guest OS's, Win9x/ME/2k/XP, or Win7/Win8.x/Win10, if you wish, as long as they are 32-bit x86 flavors. Host can be Windows 10 or any modern Linux 64-bit OS's.

Linux guest on Linux host does not require anything. QEMU native virgil3D/virtio-gpu OpenGL pass-through works out-of-box, is fully compliant with OpenGL 3.1/OpenGL ES 2.0 and works with windowed rendering and DE/WM 3D acceleration use cases.

Linux guests on Windows 10 host??! Maybe, but not the focus right now, why would anyone run Windows games through Wine with Linux guests if they can run the games with Windows guests without the hassle of Wine.

Last edited by kjliew on 2020-03-09, 20:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23 of 45, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote on 2020-03-09, 10:43:

Otherwise i made PCI videocard working with KVM.

Sure, no offense 😁, or keep playing on GUI friendly PCem, install cryogenic cooler for the CPU and overclock the hell out of it. Yeah! 😁
You have absolute freedom to take the path that works for you and comfortable for you.

Reply 24 of 45, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote on 2020-03-09, 12:59:

qemu-system-i386_nogtk_sdl2_whpx_haxm_glide_3.exe

Ok, i found it, even made it working will all version, problem missing qemu in dgVoodoo conf file.
Problem is there are lots of guides and hints, in whole thread, i thing that kjliew should you give right to Github project to place all these info to its main git hub page.. If is not possible, some Google Doc document would be good too, 3rd best is some updated summary post, present situation is mess.

Sure, no offense 😁, or keep playing on GUI friendly PCem, install cryogenic cooler for the CPU and overclock the hell out of it. Yeah! 😁
You have absolute freedom to take the path that works for you and comfortable for you.

Hey, this is still "my thread" about KVM:) Some people complained that PCI-E graphics are too new for Windows 98. and from compatibility point of with some games they are right, latter Nvidia drivers have issues with there is even big performance regression see this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRhm4aGNI3o
ATI x300-x850 PCI-E drivers for Win9x arent great either.. Speed would be always second to compatibility, you firstly need to make game running to complain that is slow:)

So making PCI cards working would be victory, especially for sound, because Qemu SB16 implementation is not complete, i test some Win98 games on linux (where i have right build for sure), and its not great:
https://www.win-raid.com/t6017f53-Windows-SE- … .html#msg105732
Maybe is better with AC97, i wrote that is working for you, i could make ES1370 working.. so i already asked which driver you used for AC97.. because with Realtek ones which i tried its not working and didnt respond 🙁

BTW best thing in the life , well except crushing your enemies:), is possibility of choice.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 26 of 45, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote on 2020-03-10, 03:13:

was wondering if this one doesn't have it
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … &menustate=28,0
it looks it doesn't have it, but just in case...

Are using all these chipset drivers with you Qemu machines.. or not? Because so far i lived with just vanilla Windows 98 SE drivers, this could make it better..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 30 of 45, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote on 2020-03-10, 03:40:

i only tried dos 😀

Its strange because i already so some you Win98 guide.. I guess that i would be guinea pig 😀

Reply 31 of 45, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I installed last driver from thins set 6.31 - from 2005 and its working with my vanilla Qemu 4.2 + sound fix and i can say that i survived. I never was able to really rate Win98 MB drivers, it was stable without them.. i dont see any major speed up or something like that.. but i would be still stable is better to have them.
I will try AC97 sound within this machine..

Reply 32 of 45, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there any fix for Qemu Win98 machine cursor constantly leaving the VM screen? its really annoying..

Reply 33 of 45, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, i made AC97 audio working with 3.41 driver:
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1319&menustate=0
I tried vxd drivers for Win95 with both VIA controller, both are working, i know that someone prefer them. WDM - Win98 are working too - it tried that for "normal" AC97 Realtek and that for VIA, i dunno if exist some newer 3.x line drivers.. Vogons driver libraray has no AC97 or Realtek category..

Reply 35 of 45, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, i will try them later.

Reply 36 of 45, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AC97 3.62 is working too.

I tried to make working ES1370 so far no lack, some irq error (THe AudioPCI iterrupt has been routed incorrectly by the system. Sound inactive, Use Automatic seetting in the Device manager. - Im getting during installation - before any reboot, i maybe can try to change irq to another one, but i dunno which one is preferred by this card?
I device manager i just see - Automatic settings - on, IRQ - 11 , Input and Output Range C000-C0FF no conflicts.), or just default noise from speakers..

There si also some Crystal 4231 option, bad i dunno which driver to use because drivers are 4232-4236 and 4231 is just type of main chip not whole card.

Reply 38 of 45, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I made KVM SB Live passthrough working, next step would be test some more Dos friendly Souncards -Yamahas and Vortexes, to reach the DOS\Win9x multiboot heaven.