VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have had my father's old pc stored for over 10 years since he started using a laptop instead of a desktop pc for his business.
The PC is a socket A system from 2001 and it does have a cheap power supply. I decided to test it out in case it might have some retro uses since it is 19 years old.
When I first tried to turn it on the fans turned on but after few seconds it made a one long beep and then turned itself back off automatically. First I removed all the cards except video card and tried it again and it did same thing again.
I removed power cables from the optical drive and the hard drive and after that it did post without problems. After reconnecting the hard drive it did post again and it almost managed to boot itself to windows xp. It got stuck at the welcome screen and since there was hard drive activity I left it there for a while. After coming back to it 15 minutes later it was still in the welcome screen and I tried doing ctrl-alt-del and by some miracle doing that caused the desktop to show up.
It had been on probably half an hour when I decided to check the voltages from a molex connector. 5V showed 5.5V so that was ok, but when I checked 12V it showed 13.5V which I thought was bit high. I left the multimeter connected to 12V in molex and I noticed something. The voltage was gradually lowering when I watched the multimeter screen. Voltage went down until after 5 minutes of watching it reached 12V and then it stopped going down at exactly 12V. Since I had already been running the PC for half an hour I wonder how high the voltage had been originally when I started the PC. PSU probably has a problem and perhaps the optical drive as well or the problem posting had something to do with too high voltage in 12V rail while having the optical drive connected.

Unfortunately I am not sure if it is safe to use the pc with that psu. Since it is a socket A system it probably needs lots of amps from 5V rail so I am not sure if getting a new psu would be worth it considering any retro uses it might have and how weak 5V rail modern PSUs have. I might be expensive to find a good psu for it that would work. On the other hand it would be a period correct pc from 2001 when the windows xp came out and it might even work for dos as well (perhaps).

I would appreciate if anyone has any ideas related to this. I have not yet turned off the computer while writing this and the 12V rail seems to stay stable at pretty much exactly 12V since it gradually went down. It wasn't originally an expensive system in 2001, so I am kind of torn between trying something with it and just letting it go and taking it to a recycling center.

Reply 1 of 6, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back in the day I had some problems with unstable Socket A mobos, right from the box, mostly ECS brand. But in your case I'd suspect the capacitors, in the mobo and the PSU. Inspect both, the PSU, if cheap, should probably be replaced. Don't worry too much about +5V line, most mobos I've seen had the CPU voltage derived from 12V on ATX connector - these CPUs draw too much current to have a linear regulator on 5V drop the voltage. In any case, a decent modern 450W PSU should have no problems anyway.

Also, keep in mind the PSU must have some load on all lines to properly regulate the voltages. Very early PC PSUs wouldn't even run without a load at all.

Reply 2 of 6, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Dual AMD Athlon MP 1900+ (Palomino) system must be about the same vintage and it typically takes as below. I use a Thermaltake SPG-600D-BZ PSU which reports this.

• 3.3 @ 6 amps
  • 5.0 @ 14 amps
  • 12 @ 7 amps

Were it my system I would get a new PSU for it.

Reply 3 of 6, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
red-ray wrote on 2020-03-06, 11:09:
My Dual AMD Athlon MP 1900+ (Palomino) system must be about the same vintage and it typically takes as below. I use a Thermaltak […]
Show full quote

My Dual AMD Athlon MP 1900+ (Palomino) system must be about the same vintage and it typically takes as below. I use a Thermaltake SPG-600D-BZ PSU which reports this.

• 3.3 @ 6 amps
  • 5.0 @ 14 amps
  • 12 @ 7 amps

Were it my system I would get a new PSU for it.

I just want to be sure a new psu with 15A in 5V rail would work before buying one.-
Here are the specs of the PC:

Codegen x300 300W PSU with 30A in 5V rail
Amd Duron 900Mhz cpu
512Mb RAM
Asus A7V133-C motherboard
Ati Radeon 7200 AGP video card
160Gb WD1600BB hard drive from 2007 (Hard drive was switched to new one when old one failed)
Samsung optical drive. Not sure about the model
Creative CT4810 sound card.
It also had ADSL modem card that I took out.

Main reason why I think it might have some retro potential is that if I understood correctly the chipset might support D-DMA for yamaha pci sound cards.

Reply 4 of 6, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote on 2020-03-06, 11:23:

I just want to be sure a new psu with 15A in 5V rail would work before buying one.-

Given my system has 2 CPUs I would be very surprised if 15A @ 5V was not enough.

Below you should see I 100% loaded both CPUs to get the maximum

file.php?id=96570

Attachments

• RAP.png
    Filename
    RAP.png
    File size
    58.13 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    14 Amps @ 5 Volts
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by red-ray on 2020-11-19, 06:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 6, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks.
It also seems like the problem that was there when I first turned on the computer has mysteriously disappeared. I have turned it off and back on twice and voltages are normal right from the start. Even connecting the optical drive again didn't cause any problems.
Is there a chance that it was just a temporary problem caused by the computer being turned on for the first time in 11 years?

Reply 6 of 6, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Optical drive started working after cleaning the lens.
Having some trouble with the yamaha sound card and d-dma. The modded setupds I got from Re: Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide seems to work but only with DMA 0 and it tests 8 bit sound blaster sounds and fm music ok, but after that if I try to start doom it crashes. Doom works without sound if I don't run setupds before that after booting.