VOGONS

Reply 20 of 29, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-04-19, 04:16:
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-04-18, 23:38:

Everything to do with sound cards on a 286, not perpetuating myths about Wolf3d stereo sound.

you said "not a solid test" I'm asking: a solid test of what?

only reason I even mentioned wolf3d is because some other guy kept on about how you don't get stereo on this or that

Not a solid test of SB stereo sound. Wolf3d doesn't use any SB Pro or SB16 stereo PCM modes, it just plays tricks with the mixer. This type of pseudo stereo is supported by literally any SB card from the CT1330 on up. It's not special at all.

Lots of people don't understand this.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 21 of 29, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok so what I did read someyhere is wrong.

I know about the panning of course, but it work only if there is only one channel playing (Not in case of multiple sound mixed)
So Wolf 3d use only one sample at once ?

Reply 22 of 29, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SB 1.5/2.0 or Adlib depending on when you plan to date this PC. Both are available as easy build-kits.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23 of 29, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2020-05-11, 11:47:

SB 1.5/2.0 or Adlib depending on when you plan to date this PC. Both are available as easy build-kits.

Easy is relative with the SnarkBarker. 😀 But BlasterBoard is also a good option.

If on a budget, one of the Adlib DIY kits is definitely a good choice. There are not THAT many games that are much better with SB due to PCM samples.

Otherwise I always like Jazz16 based sound cards. They are cheap and SB Pro compatible. So 8 bit stereo sound is no problem.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 24 of 29, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
OliBoe wrote on 2020-04-16, 09:33:

But my question for this topic is...
What would be the "best" sound card for the ATARI 286?

Not sure. Back in the 90s I had a PAS16 and was quite satisfied with that one.

- Usability -> Sound Blaster 16 are cheap but do they still work in a 286 based system?

Sure they do., the 286 has a true 16-Bit ISA bus (or more precisely, AT bus). 😀
However.. the PnP model may need a setup software, like UNISOUND or CTCM/CTCU.
The latter requires 386 instructions, which can be emulated by EMU386.

- Compability -> I´m only using old DOS games till 1991/2 as newer ones will probably not work and the 286 should be as original as possible... 😀

In that case, you might go for a real SB 1.x or SB 2.0.
The SB Pro might be the worst choice in this case, if it does not have the correct PCM/FM balance (needs to be checked).
A SB16 however, has a real mixer, which can be used to replicate the balance of SB and SB Pro at wish.
More information here: FM and PCM Volume Balance of SB Cards

That being said, it really demends on your needs. Period correctnes is a weird modern day fetish, I guess. Must be related to nostalgia, I suppose. 😉
Specs that existed on paper didn't actually match the real world scenario. PC users were constantly up- and downgrading at the time.
Some people, like my father, used an old SB Pro in a quick 386DX-40 PC, while I had a CD-ROM kit with PAS16 for my 286-12 in ca. '95.

So if you only use your 286 for a specific type of games, use a SB. Maybe SB Pro.
If you also want to use that PC for Windows 3.1, MOD Trackers or FM, consider a 16-Bit card with OPL3.
It doesn't need to be a SB16 or PAS16. A no-name card with WSS support (for 16-Bit PCM) and SB Pro emulation will also do.

The OPL3 and a MPU-401 will do come in handy for RPGs like Knight of Xentar or Princess Maker 2,
or early Star Trek games (25th Anniverary, Judgment Rites). Though these games may require a 386 compatible CPU, not sure.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 25 of 29, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A MediaVision Thunderboard will do fine with Ablib and SB stuff. Had one in my original 286/16 clone.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 26 of 29, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-05-11, 21:20:

A MediaVision Thunderboard will do fine with Ablib and SB stuff. Had one in my original 286/16 clone.

I second that. I've got both a Thunderboard and a Protak clone here.
Though the FM/PCM balance is a bit off, which might result in a not so perfect experience for those (few ?) games that use both types of audio simultanously.
Also, the Thunderboad was essentially built into to the PAS16, serving as a legacy sound device for games that hadn't been updated for PAS support yet. 😉

Edit: I also like to note that the Thunderboard appears in the Windows 3.1 sound driver list.
That beeing said, I'm not sure if it takes advantage of any of the additional TB features.
Anyway - It surely is a period correct sound device, too, since it was appearing in the '91/'92 time frame.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 27 of 29, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sound blaster are noisy.
Then if you want to pay a lot and don t have a good sound it is your choice.

Or use a blasterboard ou a sound blaster 16.
SBpro has less noise than a SB 2.

I useed a sound galaxy NX , SBpro , SB16 and GUS on my 8086 (for my player)
I still wait to have a working BlasterBoard (I failed somewhere to solder it)