Common searches

Random free game findings

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 86, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Shouldn't Spelunky and Cave Story be in this topic too? They are both apparently excellent games (I've not yet played either game), and they were originally released as freeware. The freeware versions of both games are still available, though if your prefer then you can purchase graphically enhanced (and maybe more feature-rich, I don't know?) versions, too.

https://spelunkyworld.com/original.html

https://www.cavestory.org/download/cave-story.php

Also, there are several free first person shooters listed here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_freewar … person_shooters

Reply 62 of 86, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I'm certainly not limiting myself exclusively to DOS games of course (in fact, I've thrown quite a bit of Windows titles into the list in the first post). It's not simply nostalgia, but thanks to DOSBox they're much easier to run than a lot of early Windows stuff in current Windows iterations, and I've not got a Linux machine currently to use WINE, which I found to be in some cases a good solution for early Windows games.

I have heard about Cave Story but never played it. In fact, I thought that at some point the free versions were discontinued, or am I mixing this up with La Mulana? (it's a different game, isn't it)? Anyway, thanks Kerr Avon for clarifying this!

EDIT: Updated the first post, added more developer pages.

EDIT2: Discovered this site with several stylish games: HiVE.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 63 of 86, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Rocks'n'Diamonds A Boulderdash clone Which I believe is open source too, if I am not mistaken.

Boulder Remake Which is a pretty bloody spiffy Bolderdash clone, and if I recall correctly it is even compatible with older (C64 ?) level sets.

This old site shows a fantastic knowledge about old Boulderdash clones. http://www.bd-fans.com/index.html

Reply 66 of 86, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kerr Avon wrote on 2022-12-08, 20:50:

Oh, sorry.

You needn't be, as I explained above, I'm not limiting myself to DOS stuff only. Your information about these two games is quite useful! So if you know about more free games (especially something obscure), keep 'em coming!

liqmat wrote on 2022-12-09, 16:07:

Warscape Alpha (hovertank game) for Windows 32/64 and Apple OSX.

Nice, thanks!

WolverineDK wrote on 2022-12-08, 19:48:

Boulder Remake Which is a pretty bloody spiffy Bolderdash clone, and if I recall correctly it is even compatible with older (C64 ?) level sets.

I don't think I've heard about this one, but there are so many BD clones and remakes out there...

Reply 67 of 86, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like Kurt Dekker/PLBM Games offers free registered versions of their old games for download:
http://plbm.com/oldsite/index2.htm
The site is exactly as it used to be in the early-mid-2000s, but the downloadable files are registered copies, not shareware.

Reply 68 of 86, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrFlibble wrote on 2023-01-16, 13:48:

Looks like Kurt Dekker/PLBM Games offers free registered versions of their old games for download:
The site is exactly as it used to be in the early-mid-2000s, but the downloadable files are registered copies, not shareware.

i like finding websites unchanged from 20 or so years ago (or longer)

the games themselves look like the kinds of games made for free in the old atari st / amiga public domain days though rather than shareware

Reply 69 of 86, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2023-01-16, 20:45:
MrFlibble wrote on 2023-01-16, 13:48:

i like finding websites unchanged from 20 or so years ago (or longer)

the games themselves look like the kinds of games made for free in the old atari st / amiga public domain days though rather than shareware

That website takes me back to when amateur programmers used to create versions of popular arcade games, such as Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, etc! Do many new programmers still do this, or did the easy availability of ways to play the original arcade games at home (such as via MAME, and other emulators first on PC, then on jail-broken consoles, tablet, and mobile phones, Raspberry Pi, etc) kill of the "Here's my homebrew version of Pac-Man" type creations of the 1980/90s?

Reply 72 of 86, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cannon Balls (Puzzle) - Puzzle Bobble clone in DarkBasic

UPD: A bunch of DOS former shareware games:

TechnoVenture (Adventure)
SPISPOPD (Shooter)
Marbleicious (Puzzle)
XOP Ultra (Shooter)
XOP Black Ultra

Reply 73 of 86, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Carser -- a really nice DOS top-down racing game (race through obstacles against time). Its development started back in 1997, but in 1998 the author took a break which lasted till August 2022, and version 1.0 was released to the public on 10 February.

Reply 74 of 86, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrFlibble wrote on 2023-02-13, 21:43:

Carser -- a really nice DOS top-down racing game (race through obstacles against time). Its development started back in 1997, but in 1998 the author took a break which lasted till August 2022, and version 1.0 was released to the public on 10 February.

i liked his updates/story of the development, a long break. Many folk will have unfinished games from years ago when their enthusiasm and free time combined in creative output

Reply 75 of 86, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrFlibble wrote on 2023-02-13, 21:43:

That's very impressive. Most developers would have left a project like that abandoned, having lost interest during a long break.

Edit: It appears that the version 1.0 hasn't been tested on real hardware as there are sound problems like in DOSBox-X.

Last edited by Gmlb256 on 2023-02-15, 05:39. Edited 1 time in total.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 76 of 86, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Somehow the official Battlecruiser 3000AD website no longer lists places to download the freeware releases of the game, but a bit of Googling found useful mirrors:
Battlecruiser 3000AD (DOS)
Battlecruser 3000AD v2.0 (Win)

Reply 77 of 86, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-02-14, 13:38:

Edit: It appears that the version 1.0 hasn't been tested on real hardware as there are sound problems like in DOSBox-X.

Wish there was an option to disable sound entirely. Who needs 6+ MB of .wavs cluttering up the game? They should be optional, and the game should run silently, even if they've been deleted to reclaim the space. Otherwise, the game looks excellent, and I'm glad the author finally got it done after 25 years.

I'm trying to run it on real baremetal DOS, and the game hard freezes the system immediately after running the .exe. I'm pretty sure a -nosound option added to the .exe would solve this. It seems to have hardcoded SB IRQ settings, which isn't good. Those without a SB would like to be able to run the game, especially on baremetal DOS systems (the *only* way to drive).

Reply 78 of 86, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zyzzle wrote on 2023-02-15, 12:11:

I'm trying to run it on real baremetal DOS, and the game hard freezes the system immediately after running the .exe. I'm pretty sure a -nosound option added to the .exe would solve this. It seems to have hardcoded SB IRQ settings, which isn't good. Those without a SB would like to be able to run the game, especially on baremetal DOS systems (the *only* way to drive).

I suppose the author will appreciate this feedback, you can send him an e-mail to the address at the site.

Reply 79 of 86, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Meanwhile I put together a small list of liberated PC games (with a handful of non-PC titles) as an OpenDocument spreadsheet. The list can be sorted by platform, year of release, genre, original distribution model, source code license (if available), programming language, engine, and includes working download links. A separate page lists the sources that I used when compiling the list.

The games I omitted from the list are temporary Sierra giveaways from the early 2000s, Cinemaware and Rockstar games (I think in both cases these are no longer freeware in any form), and multiplayer-only titles. Also, apart from directly liberated games I've included a small numbers of unofficial conversions and remakes that have been retroactively authorised by game owners, in the absence of the respective original games being freeware. There are over 400 games on the list.

Attachments