VOGONS

Reply 20 of 34, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PAL TVs definitely had scanlines, you probably just weren't thinking about it. Obviously 288p scanlines are thinner than 240p scanlines. 240p/288p being the gaming resolutions, obviously when displaying TV content it would be 480i/576i, which would have much less visible scanlines.

Last edited by ZellSF on 2021-04-04, 21:04. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 24 of 34, by De-M-oN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can configure GZDoom to be quiet accurate.
Or try GLBoom, or Crispy Doom. There is sure a sourceport which works for you.
Or try some troubleshooting. No one has to suffer through dosbox for an id game 🤣

Reply 26 of 34, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure you can complain that he's going off-topic after you specifically joined in on it? You were talking about PrBoom and GZDoom, which can't run Hexen II either.

Also with the right settings I doubt most people could tell GZDoom and DOS Doom apart most of the time.

Reply 28 of 34, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2021-04-04, 21:02:

PAL TVs definitely had scanlines, you probably just weren't thinking about it. Obviously 288p scanlines are thinner than 240p scanlines.

Except that the phosphor matrix (I don't know the proper name) usually didn't look like this

RGB RGB RGB RGB

RGB RGB RGB RGB

RGB RGB RGB RGB

(which could give clearly visible scanlines), but more like this:

RGB     RGB
RGB RGB
RGB RGB
RGB RGB
RGB RGB

making them invisible, perhaps at the price of blurring the picture a bit.

Reply 32 of 34, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We had a Russian color TV back in the end of the 80's which had a 'delta' cathode ray tube with the same (or very similar) RGB arrangement as the second one in Azarien's post. I remember it because my mother always told me not to look at the tv so close. Later we changed to a more modern one, and that had 'in-line' CRT, with pixels made of vertical lines of RGB. As far as I know, they were just different CRT technologies, independently on PAL/NTSC.

image.png

Reply 34 of 34, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are TV attributes that can make scanlines less visible sure (I'm sure CRTs had different levels of light bleed too for example), but there isn't a PAL/NTSC difference between scanlines except being less noticeably with PAL because of the slightly higher resolution (288 lines vs 240).

I think you would still notice them on any SD CRT if you were looking for them.

Edit: looking at how this started, I think it might be my mistake with a bit of misnomer that 400p has "scanlines", which I think only refers to the 480i/240p hack (obviously there's still a gap between lines even in other modes, but in 240p I think every other line is actually blank? I'm not an expert on this).