VOGONS

ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Topic actions

Reply 61 of 93, by Spark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is a way to disable mipmapping in the latest D3D driver? I don't think this feature ever worked properly on the rage pro.

Attachments

• shogomipmap.jpg
    Filename
    shogomipmap.jpg
    File size
    127.43 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Shogo mip-mapping
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 62 of 93, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Spark wrote on 2023-08-19, 22:56:

Is a way to disable mipmapping in the latest D3D driver? I don't think this feature ever worked properly on the rage pro.

Some games have options to disable or change mipmap settings and it has some, but i have not played Shogo or used these settings myself.

more info and commands here: https://redriothog.tripod.com/console.htm

press the"~" while in a Shogo game and type

LodBias <value>
Sets the mipmap range, so you can push those mipmapping lines back.
Default value is 0.7. The lower you go, the further the lines are.

MipMapOffset <0,3>
Offset the mipmap level that it uses by a certain amount. This helps on crappy
cards with very little texture memory.

GroupOffset0 through GroupOffset9 <0,3>
Offset the mipmaps used for textures in each group (this offset is in addition
to the offset applied with the 'global' mipmap offset in MipmapOffset).

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Reply 63 of 93, by Spark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for checking, I did see that page and tried to set those options in a few different ways but nothing worked. Decided to play that game on a different card with working mipmapping instead.

Back to OpenGL, in GlQuake you can specify the command line option "-nomtex" to disable multitexturing. This means you can leave multitexturing enabled in the driver for use in Quake II without crashing GlQuake.
With regards to gamma correction, desktop gamma of 1.6 for GlQuake and 1.5 for Quake II seems about right, but would be interested in other opinions.

Reply 64 of 93, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Takedasun wrote on 2023-04-19, 13:49:
marxveix wrote on 2022-04-30, 19:21:

I would like to get Rage OpenGL ICD 1073, it should have multitexturing support in it. OpenGL ICD name atoglrp9.dll (before 5.40), atio9xad.dll (5.40) or atio9xae.dll (J5.xx). 1073 should be before 5.40 releases, but i am not 100% sure, anybody has 1073 OpenGl ICD?

Talk about this 1073 and other RagePro OpenGL versions:
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=1022

I found the damn file.

Somehow i can get OpenGL 1073 to work with Quake2 and my AMD K6-2 gets max 0.5fps gain from other Rage3 fast OpenGL versions. It is fastest for Quake2 and less compatible for my drivers and pc.

Spark wrote on 2023-11-16, 23:45:

Thanks for checking, I did see that page and tried to set those options in a few different ways but nothing worked. Decided to play that game on a different card with working mipmapping instead.

Back to OpenGL, in GlQuake you can specify the command line option "-nomtex" to disable multitexturing. This means you can leave multitexturing enabled in the driver for use in Quake II without crashing GlQuake.
With regards to gamma correction, desktop gamma of 1.6 for GlQuake and 1.5 for Quake II seems about right, but would be interested in other opinions.

Thank you for the information Spark.

Takedasun wrote on 2023-07-19, 21:22:
I did not find any mention of the UseAsm and UseGen variables in the ATOGLRP9.DLl file. […]
Show full quote
Spark wrote on 2023-07-18, 07:54:

Any idea what UseAsm=1, UseGen=1, or BMPad=1 actually do?

I did not find any mention of the UseAsm and UseGen variables in the ATOGLRP9.DLl file.

There are other variables

[Performance]
SkipFlipWaitIdle
UseAsmDraw
UsePioDraw
BMPad

atidbg.ini setting

[Performance]
SkipFlipWaitIdle=1

Gives great performance boost, but also bit laggy/strange keyboard behaviour inside the game for my pc, tested with Quake2 OpenGL.

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Reply 65 of 93, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Judging by the name of the option, it might be pegging the CPU at the end of the render cycle and not sleeping after flipping the screen buffer (drawing the frame) to yield for other operations. This is a side effect of the cooperative multitasking nature of Windows 9x. You have to play nice with the rest of the system and leave some CPU cycles for other things, or else the system can hang or become choppy.

This is my guess, anyways. It also depends on how they are reading input, such as if they are polling it or using window messages.

Last edited by Kahenraz on 2023-11-26, 13:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 66 of 93, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-11-25, 16:31:

Judging by the name of the option, it might pegging the CPU at the end of the render cycle and not sleeping after flipping the screen buffer (drawing the frame) to yield for other operations. This is a side effect of the cooperative multitasking nature of Windows 9x. You have to play nice with the rest of the system and leave some CPU cycles for other things, or else the system can hang or become choppy.

This is my guess, anyways. It also depends on how they are reading input, such as if they are polling it or using window messages.

Thank you for your input!

This command is good for benchmarking, but for gaming experience, it is another story. If there is a fix for laggy keyboard/mouse inputs, then we can use it more widely, still i have tested it with only one OpenGL version, that was 4.11.1094.

I have option to upgrade CPU to AMD K6-III+ or oc vga/cpu, but i am also thinking to use Rage3 with Slot1 and Pentium 3 or Celeron 300A.

Reply 67 of 93, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First OpenGL version that works with SkipFlipWaitIdle is OpenGL 1084, all older versions not gain performance boost from SFWI command. Enable this option only with bilinear disabled + multitexture disabled (both disabled). Quake2 is playable with SkipFlipWaitIdle at the moment.

C:\Windows\atidbg.ini
[OPENGL]
EnableMTSGI=0
EnableMTARB=0
[Kelvin]
Bilinear=0
[Performance]
SkipFlipWaitIdle=1

SkipFlipWaitIdle=1 works, i get 3fps more @ Q2 timedemo 1 demo1.dm2 640x480x16 and also no big keyboard/mouse lag for Quake2 now!

OpenGL 4.11.1091 quick test (does support SkipFlipWaitIdle=1 - enabled @ settings)
~40.5fps without vga overclock and bilinear and multitexture disabled + tweaked Q2 (k6-II+400@500Mhz)
~37.5fps without vga overclock and bilinear and multitexture disabled + original Q2 (k6-II+400@500Mhz)
~35.0fps without any overclock and bilinear and multitexture disabled + tweaked Q2 (k6-II+400)
~33.0fps without any overclock and bilinear and multitexture disabled + original Q2 (k6-II+400)

OpenGL 4.11.1073 quick test (does not support SkipFlipWaitIdle=1 - enabled @ settings)
~37.5fps without vga overclock and bilinear and multitexture disabled + tweaked Q2 (k6-II+400@500Mhz)
~34.7fps without vga overclock and bilinear and multitexture disabled + original Q2 (k6-II+400@500Mhz)
~34,4fps without any overclock and bilinear and multitexture disabled + tweaked Q2 (k6-II+400)
~32,0fps without any overclock and bilinear and multitexture disabled + original Q2 (k6-II+400)

These benchmarks are without sound, i add soon isa or pci soundcard and i make some Quake2 runs again.
Still SFWI is more experimental, Quake1 is not playable and Quake1 has no or minimal gain over OGL 1073.

OpenGL 4.11.1073 works now normally, like others, something with the chipset drivers did not like it sometimes, also found one new OpenGL , that new version is 4.11.1062.

Reply 68 of 93, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found that the latest version 4.12.1107 to work well with the RageXL, but causes some graphical glitches on Quake 1 with a Rage Pro. I walked back through each version until I found 4.12.1094. This is the latest version I could find that didn't cause any noticeable glitches with Quake 1 with the Rage Pro.

Reply 71 of 93, by Spark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Theres some videos on youtube of a rage pro on the latest driver running glquake demos with no glitches.
https://youtu.be/Rs672EI7qPU?feature=shared
There's also some gameplay footage on the same channel.
Maybe change the gl_triplebuffer setting?

Reply 72 of 93, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm curious, what type of computers are you using these PCI graphics cards, Rage/II/Pro/XL?
In the video he uses a Pentium III and mentions an i810 chipset, which in my experience the integrated graphics is faster, on Windows, than the ATI cards mentioned.

Reply 73 of 93, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Spark wrote on 2024-02-29, 14:08:
Theres some videos on youtube of a rage pro on the latest driver running glquake demos with no glitches. https://youtu.be/Rs672 […]
Show full quote

Theres some videos on youtube of a rage pro on the latest driver running glquake demos with no glitches.
https://youtu.be/Rs672EI7qPU?feature=shared
There's also some gameplay footage on the same channel.
Maybe change the gl_triplebuffer setting?

I am using the Rage Pro Turbo AGP. Maybe there is a subtle difference in silicon revision or driver for this card.

Reply 74 of 93, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I confirmed that this flickering exists on both the Rage Pro/Turbo AGP and the Rage XL AGP. To fix this problem, reduce the AGP Aperture setting in the BIOS to 32MB or less. This allows the latest OpenGL ICD v4.12.1107 to be used without flickering. An older v4.12.1094 can be used instead, but this can cause graphical glitches that necessitate rebooting the system. This can be demonstrated by running the Quake 2 demo and changing the OpenGL resolution from 640x480 to 800x600 and then quitting the game.

20240301_182106.jpg
Filename
20240301_182106.jpg
File size
625.09 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 75 of 93, by Spark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well that's an interesting result. I have the PCI rage pro (xpert@play) and had assumed the AGP versions would perform identically. I wonder what other issues the AGP Aperture setting might be causing on the AGP version.

With regards to brightness on GLQuake, Half Life, and Q2 engine games (Quake 2, SiN) I was leaving all the game brightness settings at default and using using setgamma.exe ( https://www.celephais.net/fitzquake/files/setgamma12.zip ) to adjust the desktop gamma to 1.6 or so before starting those games. Or you can use the gamma slider in the graphics properties panel provided by the ATI driver, but that doesn't display a figure for the adjustment so makes it a bit of a guessing game.

Reply 76 of 93, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Spark wrote on 2024-03-02, 09:31:

Well that's an interesting result. I have the PCI rage pro (xpert@play) and had assumed the AGP versions would perform identically.

I can say that that AGP versions are faster than PCI ones and 8MB ones are also faster than 4MB ones.

Probably best ATi Rage XL AGP 8MB ones out there.
https://www.google.com/search?q=109-66700-00
https://www.google.com/search?q=109-66700-01
https://www.google.com/search?q=109-66900-10
I would look for these, if i would look for Rage3 AGP 😀

Reply 78 of 93, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
marxveix wrote on 2024-03-08, 23:20:
Kahenraz wrote on 2024-03-02, 02:54:

I confirmed that this flickering exists on both the Rage Pro/Turbo AGP and the Rage XL AGP. To fix this problem, reduce the AGP Aperture setting in the BIOS to 32MB or less.

I havent seen this kind of flickeirng with my AMD/ATi build and Quake2, i use Rage XL AGP 8MB card, but i also dont go over 640x480 resolution usually for Rage Pro @ OpenGL