VOGONS

running TSR in DOSBox

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There is an issue with the SWOTL Manager and DOSBox's internal DOS emulation that causes problems when switching back to SWOTL, usually resulting in the message about inserting disks.

The SWOTL Manager doesn't find a segment reference past the current PSP (Program Segment Prefix) in the SDA (Swappable Data Area), and when switching back to SWOTL it changes the current PSP to an erroneous memory segment, which causes significant distress for the internal DOS emulation. It would be distressing for real DOS as well, but the number of segment references around the SDA there prevents it from happening.

Run the attached workaround program in DOSBox before running the SWOTL Manager to prevent the issue -- a TSR to fix a TSR! 😉

Attachments

• Filename
    smfix.zip
    File size
    183 Bytes
    Downloads
    68 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 21 of 23, by jgf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I won't pretend to understand that, other than in a very broad sense, but thanks.

Can I put this in the SW.bat before the sm line? Does it need to be unloaded on exit?

Currently cannot invoke SWMan, believe it to be the same issue as previously ("improper" mount and/or SMconfig paths), ALT+F1 at menus just goes to black screen.

Reply 23 of 23, by jgf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2021-04-29, 18:30:

There is an issue with the SWOTL Manager and DOSBox's internal DOS emulation ...
Run the attached workaround program in DOSBox before running the SWOTL Manager to prevent the issue -- a TSR to fix a TSR! 😉

Works great! Thanks!

(Using in original dosbox/swotl download. Haven't deciphered the cfg issues with new install of DFend and my swotl, game runs fine, and doesn't have sound issues of other install, but no SWMan yet.)