VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is just a rebrand. I have at least one of those.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21 of 24, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brian105 wrote on 2021-05-05, 18:35:

I managed to snag a card for $20 including shipping. It's not exactly Promise, but it's an OEM branded one (Maxtor SATA/150 PCI). It has the same chipset on it, and checking driver support reveals that it does support Windows 98. I've attached a picture of it (really awful picture from the seller) and the drivers to use for later.

Aside from the counterfeit ones, another you have to watch out for is a genuine Promise one, but it's an OEM that cannot be flashed with the Promise BIOS, and only has drivers for Windows XP. One giveaway is that they have a spot for an IDE port, but it's blank. Re: Dell OEM S150 TX2 BIOS

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 22 of 24, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree ! looks nearly identical and should perform like a Promise SATA-TX2 if the rom is programmed the same....Am sure Maxtor would not put their name on it if it did not work well (have a few Maxtor PCI cards and they all work very well)

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 23 of 24, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Repo Man11 wrote on 2021-05-06, 00:07:
brian105 wrote on 2021-05-05, 18:35:

I managed to snag a card for $20 including shipping. It's not exactly Promise, but it's an OEM branded one (Maxtor SATA/150 PCI). It has the same chipset on it, and checking driver support reveals that it does support Windows 98. I've attached a picture of it (really awful picture from the seller) and the drivers to use for later.

Aside from the counterfeit ones, another you have to watch out for is a genuine Promise one, but it's an OEM that cannot be flashed with the Promise BIOS, and only has drivers for Windows XP. One giveaway is that they have a spot for an IDE port, but it's blank. Re: Dell OEM S150 TX2 BIOS

At that point, I would desolder the BIOS chip and flash it with a hardware programmer and then either solder it back on or, better yet, install a socket on the board.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 24 of 24, by brian105

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I got the card, and it shows up in the boot process with Maxtor SATA/150 and whatnot, but says it can't find any disks and that the BIOS isn't installed. I'm not sure where to get the BIOS, though, since the Maxtor downloads only have Windows drivers. Should I just flash the standard Pr0mise SATA/150 TX2plus BIOS to it?

Presario 5284: K6-2+ 550 ACZ @ 600 2v, 256MB PC133, GeForce4 MX 440SE 64MB, MVP3, Maxtor SATA/150 PCI card, 16GB Sandisk U100 SATA SSD
2007 Desktop: Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2v-MX SE, Foxconn 7950GT 512mb, 4GB DDR2 800, Audigy 2 ZS, WinME/XP