VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by chjmartin2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is an application that I put together that really doesn't do anything useful. I wanted to see what some VGA games would look like if they had supported CGA and I wanted to be able to play some games in alternative CGA fonts. It isn't sophisticated, it captures a windowed DOSBOX output and renders the output in CGA graphics using a Bayer Dither. There are a whole bunch of options to cycle palettes and background colors. Turn on and off dither and cycle 8x8, 4x4 and 2x2 Bayer dither. The algorithm had to be fast so it really just nearest neighbor scales the output, quantizes it to four levels and then sorts the CGA pals by the lumen, throwing in a bayer dither in there. There is one really fun thing you can do which is to fantasize about being able to use ANY of the 16 colors in a 4 color palette - I really like black, dark red, light red and white.

Anyway, I attached the zip file and some screen shots. You have to run DOSBox first, it has to be windowed (I think) and it seems to work best by using a fixed window size. I used 640x400. Also you have to switch out of DOSBox and into the application window to change the settings, alt tab works pretty good. Only took about a day of coding to put this together, so it may be buggy. Best way to use it is to put the DOSBox window to the side and watch the CGA Render window. Hope you try it out.

Chris

Attachments

• WOLF3d.png
    Filename
    WOLF3d.png
    File size
    35.98 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • PRINCE2.PNG
    Filename
    PRINCE2.PNG
    File size
    43.24 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • PRINCE.PNG
    Filename
    PRINCE.PNG
    File size
    53.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • LSL1.png
    Filename
    LSL1.png
    File size
    43.48 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    DBCGAVIS.zip
    File size
    77.13 KiB
    Downloads
    46 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 1, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember seeing one game which had a CGA version somewhat like that first prince of persia one there. At first glance it was a "low effort" thing just to capture that last 10% of ppl that hadn't gone to EGA or VGA yet, but it was dithered quite well and gave the effect of multi greyscale. Was it windows 2 CGA drivers that were like that as well?

Also used to get a few looking like that on hercules mode, where the CGA was conventional block color and looked worse. Then the rare few that came out like that on hercules emulating CGA mode.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.