VOGONS

Abit VT6X4 MoBo vs. Abit BE6-II

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ended up using the WinFlash and flashed it under Win98SE OS, went smoothly! Now no more random system rebooting at all!
Thanks!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 21 of 24, by soggi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're welcome, nice to see it worked for you!

Could you please add the information / images I asked for?

soggi wrote on 2021-10-10, 00:53:

Unfortunately the pictures aren't high-res enough. Now I can read two of the needed chips - one is the Winbond W83977EF-AW Super I/O chip, second the Fairchild RC5058M VRM Controller (between COM2 and Slot1). I still need to know the markings on the clock generator (PLL, between Slot1 and RAM, "RTMxxx-???") and the small Winbond chip near the DIP32 BIOS chip.

The same information/pictures of the ABIT VT6X4 would be also very nice and helpful!

Afterwards I could build spec pages for these boards...

kind regards
soggi

Vintage BIOSes, firmware, drivers, tools, manuals and (3dfx) game patches -> soggi's BIOS & Firmware Page

soggi.org on Twitter - talent borrows, genius steals...

Reply 22 of 24, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Certainty

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 23 of 24, by Atom Ant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
soggi wrote on 2021-10-10, 00:53:
The HPT controllers (respectively their BIOSes) have serious problems with devices which are not a HDD, especially the HPT366. […]
Show full quote

The HPT controllers (respectively their BIOSes) have serious problems with devices which are not a HDD, especially the HPT366. Updating the controller's BIOS could (!) help. The controller's BIOS is integrated into the main BIOS and updated with it, but the latest release of the corresponding HPT BIOS has to be modded into a ModBIOS based on the latest ABIT BIOS. The latest HPT366 and HPT370 BIOSes are available under https://soggi.org/storage/highpoint.htm.

Now you know the version of your BE6-II, you can download the appropriate BIOS. To update the BIOS I would recommend using UniFlash 1.40 (DOS). But you can also use the later UniFlash versions (DOS) or awdflash 8.99 (DOS) or AwardBIOS Winflash 1.94 (Windows). They all are available on my motherboard BIOS update / flash utilities page -> https://soggi.org/motherboards/bios-update-fl … h-utilities.htm.

kind regards
soggi

sdi
Very useful and nice explanation. I am exactly having fun with this Abit BE6-II with HPT366 controller +IDEtoSD adapter. And I am trying to install Win95, but freezing always. If I could update the controller to the bios i would be happy. But how could i integrate into the latest bios? Without bios can't i flash the controller?

My high end of '96 gaming machine;
Intel PR440FX - Pentium Pro 200MHz 512K, Matrox Millenium I 4MB, Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo II 12MB SLI, 128MB EDO RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, 4x Creative CD reader, Windows 95...

Reply 24 of 24, by Atom Ant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I could go a little ahead with the HPT366 controller update, the load utility working, I have the 1.28 firmware, but from the flasher I could not figure out how i could add to bios the file update or directly flashing the controller. Anybody could help with it?

IMG_8628.jpg
Filename
IMG_8628.jpg
File size
142.58 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

My high end of '96 gaming machine;
Intel PR440FX - Pentium Pro 200MHz 512K, Matrox Millenium I 4MB, Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo II 12MB SLI, 128MB EDO RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, 4x Creative CD reader, Windows 95...