VOGONS

Reply 20 of 21, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2021-11-11, 15:23:
Tetrium wrote on 2021-11-11, 14:55:
Some years ago I was contemplating on whether it would be possible to disable part of the cache and make it work again if the ch […]
Show full quote
imi wrote on 2021-11-10, 02:52:

a chipped die like that doesn't necessarily mean the end of a CPU as long as it doesn't go too far, I remember my old Athlon C had a far larger chunk than that broken off the edge and it still worked just fine.

Some years ago I was contemplating on whether it would be possible to disable part of the cache and make it work again if the chipped part of the CPU just happens to be that damaged cache.
Iirc I do remember that some of the bridges controlled the size of the CPU cache (with 256kb having a way to disable either half or 3/4th of the cache).

Seems like a not very useful hack for now (if it works), but perhaps for the future just ftr.

I don't believe it'd be simple as that, as there are probably many other lines routed around the outside of the die for connectivity

Good point

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 21 of 21, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2021-11-10, 08:15:
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-11-09, 20:59:

If by 'lid' you mean the heatspreader SL52R comes without one.

Yeah, exposed die, just like with Socket A Athlons.
Difference is just, that the glue (or whatever it is) around the die reachers further up and protects the corners/edges. That seems to help a lot, if I compare used Coppermines with used Athlons on Ebay. Most used Athlons have at least some minor damages to the die.

Yes, I was saying the CPU originally came without a heatspreader.
Personally I believe the lower pressure of typical S370 heatsinks (compared to tylical S462 heatsinks) plays a great role in fewer cracked PIII dies than Athlons as well.