VOGONS

New clock gen for tyan s1564d (Research)

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 105, by CalamityLime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmmm

Hopefully my own socket 7 will arrive soon and I'll have a board I can hold and look at in person. It'll just help me make sense of things.

But if im reading this right, there would be an element of "attach it and see if it works" involved in the discovery process.
I think the suggested clock gen chip is a good place to start.

If you're making a board for the clock then it might not hurt to look into what goes into a buck converters pcb layout for minimizing noise and bounce.

Be Happy, it's only going to get worse.
- Projects
Limes Strange 3D models
USB-2-232

Reply 101 of 105, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://youtu.be/odcH80wiiPs

Oh here we go,

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 102 of 105, by CalamityLime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

interesting, curious how his stuff is made.
I like the clock measuring device.

Be Happy, it's only going to get worse.
- Projects
Limes Strange 3D models
USB-2-232

Reply 103 of 105, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems liker this "new oscillator" is just an alternative to replacing the x-tal. That´s nice for old systems with just one oszillator, but It´s not capable of replacing a (later) real clock-gen with numerous outputs and different frequencies so you can overclock the CPU but keep ISA, PCI, USB etc. unchanged.

Reply 104 of 105, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CalamityLime wrote on 2022-06-14, 04:24:

interesting, curious how his stuff is made.
I like the clock measuring device.

majestyk wrote on 2022-06-14, 05:35:

Seems liker this "new oscillator" is just an alternative to replacing the x-tal. That´s nice for old systems with just one oszillator, but It´s not capable of replacing a (later) real clock-gen with numerous outputs and different frequencies so you can overclock the CPU but keep ISA, PCI, USB etc. unchanged.

Socket 5/7/SS7 (clock signal interposer) Tweaker (Research)

Curious about this idea..

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 105 of 105, by galanopu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-06-09, 21:12:

Thank you for linking my Video.
As it is also mentioned in it, my "any_clk" device is only useful for older systems (max 486 and also there it can be tricky, my board work totally fine though).
This can not do socket 5 and later machines. The reason is actually well described here.
The clock generators on these motherboard generate directly multiple outputs for the CPU and PCI clock (/2 CPU).
My device just generates a single output.

Now the solution to your problem is Option 1 and Option 2 as described on the start of this thread.
I do not know about Option 1 as you do not have the datasheet of your chip, and finding a replacement with the same pin-out is also nearly impossible.

Then you have option 2, this is the right approach I think.
I have this in mind already and I will make something relevant to this in the future.
Something small that will generate all the other refence clocks needed here.
So then you will be able to just change the original crystal on the M/B without a problem.

Let's mod everything! Check my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ6ULBqIKhxuNslAbqFNJUg
Interested in my devices? Check my store:
https://migronelectronics.bigcartel.com