VOGONS

Why is the Asus P5A so fast?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 32, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think most of the instability problems boil down to old components, people don't care about the state of the motherboard capacitors, and depending on where you live, the board can suffer from very high temperatures, or too low, too much humidity or too little humidity, and that causes the capacitors to decay at different times and hours, and to different proportions.

I live in Brazil, and here it is very hot, and most people live in places with high humidity due to the proximity to the sea, it is quite common for me to find swollen capacitors, or leaked in equipment from 10 years old, sources ATX suffers A LOT (partly because of our terrible power grid full of noise), there have been cases of cards that weren't terribly unstable, but were a little "slow" for my liking, so I took out the capacitors, and measured some of them , I even found 2200UF capacitors that in the measurement had just over 300UF!

Also sometimes I find inductors that lost their varnish (due to the heat) and ended up accumulating oxidation (very common in coastal regions)

I believe that in North America, it is easier to conserve equipment, because houses are generally thermally insulated, and have a temperature and humidity control system, in addition to a cooler climate (even in regions like California, or Florida, due to most people use air conditioning). Here in Brazil air conditioning is a luxury item, and it consumes a lot of electricity, so only high-end people have one at home.

Take a look at my blog: http://rikintosh.blogspot.com
My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfRUbxkBmEihBEkIK32Hilg

Reply 21 of 32, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-12-27, 12:40:

[...]

Can you share your jumper and bios settings?

Sorry for late reply, was away for the holidays. Now in quarantine for the next week, so should have time to look into this. I recently acquired a Winchip2 which needs putting through its paces, so more than enough reason to dig out the P5A anyway.

Reply 22 of 32, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Speaking to OP topic, I’ve encountered some interesting results on my new freeway fw-ti5vgf 1.00

It’s actually outperforming the p5a memory seems to be performing faster on it. It may have to do with the 2mb of 4ns cache😳

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 23 of 32, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote on 2022-01-04, 23:52:
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-12-27, 12:40:

[...]

Can you share your jumper and bios settings?

Sorry for late reply, was away for the holidays. Now in quarantine for the next week, so should have time to look into this. I recently acquired a Winchip2 which needs putting through its paces, so more than enough reason to dig out the P5A anyway.

...aaand my P5A appears to have died 😦

Won't power on, forcing Power Good with a paperclip just gives 00 on the POST card.

Certainly not giving up on this board, but focus will be on basic functionality, not fancy settings with K6Plus. Afraid I can't give you BIOS or jumper settings anytime soon.

Reply 24 of 32, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
soviet conscript wrote on 2021-12-27, 21:24:
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-12-27, 21:12:
Thanks for the feedback!👍 Stability is up to the individual chip I guess. Do you have the cache chip and the rev H northbridge? […]
Show full quote
soviet conscript wrote on 2021-12-27, 21:01:

I have a GA-5AX with 512KB of L2 cache and the revision H northbridge. I've been running a K6-III+ @ 550MHz in it for years, rock solid though it's unstable at 600MHz, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks for the feedback!👍
Stability is up to the individual chip I guess.
Do you have the cache chip and the rev H northbridge? Is there no internal cache on the NB like on rev G?

It is the rev H NB and the board does have 512KB of L2 cache on-board. Board revision is REV. 5.2

Sorry, I missed your reply! Would really be interesting to see if there was a 1MB rev H northbridge GA-5AX.
I was confused about internal tag vs. cache though. 😅

Reply 25 of 32, by magicmanred

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What kind of scores are people getting with their GA-5AX's and P5A's in Sandra 99 Memory Benchmark?

I have a GA-5AX R4.1
1 x 256mb PC133 CL2-2-2
Running 5.5 x 115 (633Mhz) on a modded K6 II+ into a K6 III+

Currently getting:

CPU/Memory Bandwidth 184 MB/s
FPU/Memory Bandwidth 200 MB/s

For the CPU Benchmark:

CPU Dhrystone: 1964 MIPS ... can't break 2k 🙁
FPU Whetstone 781 MFLOPS

I'll do some testing on my P5A as well. I have a rev 1.03

Reply 26 of 32, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
magicmanred wrote on 2022-06-14, 15:00:
What kind of scores are people getting with their GA-5AX's and P5A's in Sandra 99 Memory Benchmark? […]
Show full quote

What kind of scores are people getting with their GA-5AX's and P5A's in Sandra 99 Memory Benchmark?

I have a GA-5AX R4.1
1 x 256mb PC133 CL2-2-2
Running 5.5 x 115 (633Mhz) on a modded K6 II+ into a K6 III+

Currently getting:

CPU/Memory Bandwidth 184 MB/s
FPU/Memory Bandwidth 200 MB/s

For the CPU Benchmark:

CPU Dhrystone: 1964 MIPS ... can't break 2k 🙁
FPU Whetstone 781 MFLOPS

I'll do some testing on my P5A as well. I have a rev 1.03

In the k6-3+ aiming for the stars thread there is a user who made a modified 5ax bios that has the p5a timings I believe btw

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 27 of 32, by mustagcoupe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is not an asus p5a but it does have an ali Aladdin v chipset and i am curious to see how it matches up with better systems. It is an IBM Aptiva 2153, it came with a 3xxmhz k6-2 of some kind which i swapped for a pentium mmx overclocked to 250mhz with a 100mhz bus. I have always felt that it feels weirdly fast compared to a lot of other systems. The latency seems very low, when i click on something in windows 98 there is almost no hesitation at all, everything just pops up almost instantly. It does have an sd card boot drive but i dont think that has anything to do with the speed because i have a 600mhz pentium 3 system on an abit board with an identical sd card setup and it still feels like it takes longer for things to happen despite the system being overall way faster and more powerful. My sandra 99 results are attached below, weirdly sandra thinks the processor is at 238mhz even though its actually 250 as reported in the bios.

Attachments

Reply 28 of 32, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The PII is known for being less fast on 16 bit than 32 bit, and while 9x OS are theoretically 32 bit, there's a lot of 16 bit under the hood and deliberately 16 bit compatibility stuff. Ergo, AMD, Cyrix and fast P55C feel pretty snappy, while PII/PIII kinda trip over their own feet on that stuff.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 29 of 32, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-06-16, 02:04:

The PII is known for being less fast on 16 bit than 32 bit, and while 9x OS are theoretically 32 bit, there's a lot of 16 bit under the hood and deliberately 16 bit compatibility stuff. Ergo, AMD, Cyrix and fast P55C feel pretty snappy, while PII/PIII kinda trip over their own feet on that stuff.

The 16-bit performance is much worse with the Pentium Pro, lacking the improvement that the PII/PIII has. 😉

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 30 of 32, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah they bandaided it to make it less awful but it's still at a deficit.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.