VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello,

at first I was thinking the Pentium MMX 233 I was testing the original old ATi Rage Pro PCI 4MB SGRAM (four modules version with the Socket for the others 4MB missing modules and the "Rage Pro PCI" chip name while the later driver make it "Turbo" anyway) was limiting its speed but now that I'm trying the same card with a K6-III 400Mhz (on a 430VX/64MB@66Mhz anyway) I was expecting quite better results and instead 3DMark99 score a 192 points (5509 CPU 3DMarks) when the Riva128 PCI 4MB SGRAM result in more than 600 points. I remember the AGP version on a Pentium II was much faster and I was wondering why the PCI version seems so slow than the AGP one (8MB version). I'm trying after a fresh Win 98 and patched installation.
Final Reality result is 3.02 Overall, 3D result is 3.37, 2D is 3.16, Bus score is 1.47.
I was expecting this to be one of the last PCI card that performed better being an AGP oriented chip but not much depending on the bus version. Any info?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 5, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The results sound reasonable? What were you expecting out of it? It is a plain Rage Pro after all.
I think it is reasonable that the card would perform better and score higher in 3DMark 99 on a Pentium II system (the frequency and chipset of which you have not stated). Even a Pentium II 300 will probably be faster for 3D games than a K6-III 400 with 66MHz FSB.

Is there a specific reason you care about 3DMark 99? Are you perhaps trying to run a specific game that will not run very well?

Reply 2 of 5, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Of course I didn't have too high expectations also on this platform, just taking 3DMark99 as a Direct3D 3DNow! optimized (also) known benchmark to see how it compared with the Riva128 PCI that perform more than 3 times the score (on the same system) make me asking why such difference. If the Pentium II 350/440BX was as I was thinking at first the main boost for the AGP version I tested before, I was expecting at least to see a bit of jump from a 233Mhz P-MMX to the K6-3@400Mhz and instead I think the only value changed is the CPU Marks but frame rate remained mostly the same. Instead the Riva128 PCI reach what I was expecting from this platform at these frequencies and it's a solid score. Just wondering if the PCI Rage Pro chip has more speed problems than the AGP one where usually I would not expect much difference. To say that I'd not be surprised to see the PCI version having same results even on a Pentium III and the 440BX. 😉

Reply 4 of 5, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Putas wrote on 2022-03-07, 18:55:

With weak CPUs you probably want to avoid the latest drivers.

Thanks. I was also beginning to think maybe latest drivers are a bit heavy even if they come with a very good OpenGL driver (compared to the previous ones).

Reply 5 of 5, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

3DMark99 with 3Dnow scored with AMD K6-2+ 400MHz and RageXL AGP 8MB - 1361 points - default settings and without overclock, i try to push more out of it without any oc. Rage3 AGP cards are little faster than PCI. With 8MB they are also little faster than with 4MB. I am using Macxw4 5.38.x modified drivers with 4.11.4033 direct3d. Other driver components also matter, not just ATi Rage drivers, i use 4.11.2612 Macxw4.vxd and Atihal64.dll versions make also small differences in 3D scores. For Rage Pro i would use up to 5.40.x drivers, thats where the 3dcif support ends.

edit: RageXL is basically Rage Pro
Usually i score with that K6-2+RageXL machine from 1380 up to 1411 points if i overclock cpu from 400 to 500MHz. I think it is possible to get 20 more points without any overlock for that system, my next goal is 1400 points with Rage3. Still i have 1707 points score also for that ATi Rage XL. 😀

file.php?mode=view&id=169742

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files