Voodoo 3 3000 LC PCI woes

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 20, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xpladv570 wrote on 2022-03-09, 22:44:

I would experiment with VIA 4in1 drivers and different versions and test the card on a different board for sure. Failing on Direct3D games makes me think that there is something funky going on with rest of the DirectX components... What does dxdiag say about the Voodoo? Have you tried disabling sound card drivers?

It is a long shot for sure but for weird issues it might be worth to play around with things that dont seem related to the problem.

FX5500 (supposedly) relies on a lot of AGP features even in their PCI variants, so I wouldn't rely on that card too much. The drivers for it are also very heavy for a K6 system. I wouldn't use anything above a GF2 MX with 7.76/8.05 drivers installed. Although the 2MX PCI is surprisingly hard to find. TNT2 M64/Vanta PCI is a wee bit more common, but that is of course no voodoo. 😉

I haven't installed any 4in1 drivers, since I don't think they support the old VP3 (not to be confused for the MVP3) chipset. The motehrboard has no AGP slot, and standard win9x drivers seem to work great for USB and ATA so I saw no need for it.

I got my 3D Prophet PCI card from home this weekend (Geforce 2 MX) and installed it into the system. OpenGL runs fine allbeit a bit slow (detonator 28.32 drivers) giving a "whopping" 26.5 FPS in Quake 2 demo1.dm2 @ 800x600 (vs 58.6 on my 500MHz K6-II+ / Aopen AX59 pro / Voodoo 3 3000 AGP rig). DirectX tests from trhe DXDIAG control pannel also run fine, where as before (with the voodoo 3) the system would hang when launching or during said tests. I'll be testing Mechwarrior 3 and Dungeon Keeper 2 now, and I also plan to try and find a copy of Detonator 12.9 to see if I can squeeze any more performance out of the system.

All is not well tough, as the computer takes forever to boot into windows 98 with the geforce 2 and forceware 28.32, and sometimes it will post and complain there's no monitor attached to the video card (post beeps 1 long 4 short).

I also installed a Voodoo 2 12MB alongside the 3D Prophet PCI and while openGL and d3d seem to work fine, glide does not. When I try to run any glide game (correct drivers installed, openVGL/openGL32/glide.ovl and so on where they're supposed to be and all the same version as the driver) all I get is a black screen :\ . At this point I'm convinced there's a power delivery issue, either with the PSU or the motherboard.

[UPDATE] 12.9 did make a difference, it bumped Q2 demo2 FPS to 31, but booting into win98 still takes 3-5 minutes from boot menu to desktop and performance is overall pretty low. Must be the VP3 chipset. Mechwarrior 3 is playable at 640x480 but stutters at 800x600. Same for dungeon keeper 2. Well, I didn't build this machine for 3D games anyway., so I'll be keeping the SIS card + a 12MB Voodoo 2 in the system and stick with DOS games and windows games that require Glide.